Philips 2022 OLED owners thread (707, 807)

Everything will work but voice control out of the box. The thing is Philips removed the "pairing" app from lower-end TVs android settings so you can't access it easily. There are many ways on how you might do that, but the easiest one to my taste is to purchase tvQuickActions app from the play store (free version won't have required capabilities) and assign the pairing menu to any button on your remote. Then you just pair 806 remote with your TV and enjoy it

Used the tvQuickActions method to activate voice control on the new remote as you recommended, worked like a charm! Thanks for the tip.

Hi All
Does any UK 707/807 users get the "TV Guide: On Now" bar as in the screenshot below ?. If so, is it linked to Freeview Play functionality ?.
Many thanks for your time in this 👍

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 11.55.47.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 11.55.47.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 162
Hi All
Does any UK 707/807 users get the "TV Guide: On Now" bar as in the screenshot below ?. If so, is it linked to Freeview Play functionality ?.
Many thanks for your time in this 👍
You get it to display via the "Customise your home screen" option

Attachments

• 20230108_121043 (Medium).jpg
    20230108_121043 (Medium).jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 20230108_121231 (Medium).jpg
    20230108_121231 (Medium).jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 165
You get it to display via the "Customise your home screen" option
This is great cheers 😉. I am on the verge of ordering an 807 55 but having trouble finding a retailer who can demonstrate the Freeview Play EPG and its "go back" or "restart" functions as they tend to just run a demo video 🤷🏼‍♂️. When you have time would you be able to upload a couple of screenshots of the Freeview EPG ? .
Many thanks in advance 👍

This is great cheers 😉. I am on the verge of ordering an 807 55 but having trouble finding a retailer who can demonstrate the Freeview Play EPG and its "go back" or "restart" functions as they tend to just run a demo video 🤷🏼‍♂️. When you have time would you be able to upload a couple of screenshots of the Freeview EPG ? .
Many thanks in advance 👍
Is there not a Richer Sounds near you? They would be the best people to contact.

Many thanks in advance 👍
When you click the replay or restart it just opens up the relevant catch up player... BBC iplayer, ITVX, All4, My5 etc

Top tip 👍 have now joined the Richer Sounds VIP Club and will see if they can setup a fully functional demo in my local branch ... will let the community know how it goes 😉
Oh dear ... turns out my local Richer Sounds has no Freeview feed and can only run their tv wall from a Freesat box or Fire stick, so just like all my other local tv retailers there is no way of demoing any aspect of Freeview Play functionality or integration 🤷🏼‍♂️. Oh well...

I read in several places that the tv cannot show 4k in 120hz unless you run monitor mode. According to my pc and the game bar it shows up in 4k resolution even if I run vrr and not monitor.

I read in several places that the tv cannot show 4k in 120hz unless you run monitor mode. According to my pc and the game bar it shows up in 4k resolution even if I run vrr and not monitor.

This has been covered ad nauseam but to explain once more…the TV accepts a 4k120hz VRR signal and will display it, but in anything other than monitor mode it will half the vertical resolution when displaying a 4k120hz image. There will not be anything anywhere telling you this is happening, just visibly reduced image sharpness in anything but monitor mode.

This has been covered ad nauseam but to explain once more…the TV accepts a 4k120hz VRR signal and will display it, but in anything other than monitor mode it will half the vertical resolution when displaying a 4k120hz image. There will not be anything anywhere telling you this is happening, just visibly reduced image sharpness in anything but monitor mode.
Still not convinced. Me and several others don’t see a difference.

Still not convinced. Me and several others don’t see a difference.

It is subtle and if you don’t see a difference thats great, just forget about it and enjoy it. But as far as I’m aware it is an undisputed fact that Philips themselves would openly confirm if you asked them about it.

If they’d eliminated the issue entirely they’d be shouting it from the hills and I doubt there would be any need for it to still be questioned here.

It is subtle and if you don’t see a difference thats great, just forget about it and enjoy it. But as far as I’m aware it is an undisputed fact that Philips themselves would openly confirm if you asked them about it.

If they’d eliminated the issue entirely they’d be shouting it from the hills and I doubt there would be any need for it to still be questioned here.

I asked on a Swedish forum and was tooled it’s full resolution but chroma are bad. Here is a picture that shows the issue.

Picture (forum did not allow me to upload a simple .jpg file so had to use onedrive)

Last edited:
I asked on a Swedish forum and was tooled it’s full resolution but chroma are bad. Here is a picture that shows the issue.

Picture (forum did not allow me to upload a simple .jpg file so had to use onedrive)
so its full 4k@120hz without monitor mode but with bad chroma?

Oh dear ... turns out my local Richer Sounds has no Freeview feed and can only run their tv wall from a Freesat box or Fire stick, so just like all my other local tv retailers there is no way of demoing any aspect of Freeview Play functionality or integration 🤷🏼‍♂️. Oh well...
Hi there,

Sorry to read you've had problems arranging a demonstration of Freeview Play via one of our branches.

If you could drop me a PM with your contact information I'll get in touch to see what can be done to help.

Many thanks

Tom Griffiths
Head of Customer Service
Richer Sounds

so its full 4k@120hz without monitor mode but with bad chroma?
Yes exactly. Maybe this can change the mind of some, Philips did fix the resolution but left other issues.
For me it is not noticeable since I assume I sit far enough away from the tv. Same with the picture. If I hold my phone far enough away it is barely noticeable.

Yes exactly. Maybe this can change the mind of some, Philips did fix the resolution but left other issues.
For me it is not noticeable since I assume I sit far enough away from the tv. Same with the picture. If I hold my phone far enough away it is barely noticeable.
Can you link source or send pm with it?
I saw bad font eg in Ghostwire Tokyo (perfect in monitor mode) but dont saw worse resolution in game mode

Anybody not noticing the bad picture quality in 4k@120hz VRR without monitor mode is propably sitting too far away from the TV anyway.

I don't mean just not for games, but too far away to enjoy full UHD/4K picture quality in media viewing as well. All picture quality issues go away from simply viewing at a distance too far for quality viewing. Sit closer or get bigger screen.

I am sitting 2.8m away from the screen. I don’t consume any media through the computer. i can slightly notice it with text in windows but when playing a fps game I can’t. But that’s not the point.
Everyone keep saying resolution are halfed. That’s not same as bad chroma. TV show the full resolution but with bad chroma. Kinda important to say the right thing. Philips have said according to this forum that the resolution was fixed. As far as I know no one said anything about bad chroma.

Last edited:
I'm just glad someone is pushing for a definitive answer on this - someone with more expertise to ask the right questions than myself. I don't notice the half res issue (if it exists) but I'd like to know one way or another!

Hi im after professional calibration for my 65oled707. Peak britghtness for this model is 677 nits. After calibration game mode and monitor mode is the same in color and brightness, but in 4k@120hz monitor mode picture is a bit sharper (in close range).

Another topic - can someone could tell me best app to google assisst and mic?

sorry for my inperfect english

Hi
My apologies if I explain this a bit basic and long winded, I’m not overly tech savvy.

Bought the 48OLED806 recently and very happy with it. When I watch Netflix or Disney+ through the TV’s smart options, the picture quality is outstanding as films/programmes in HDR10 and 4K etc all stream in that quality (I know as it pops up at the start of the film/programme to tell me).

However, if I watch the same stuff on Netflix or Disney+ through Sky Q, then the picture is lacking and the same pop up doesn’t appear when the film/programme starts (suggesting it’s just playing in HD or similar). I thought I may need a HDMI upgrade but this didn’t help.

I know the easy answer is, “just watch it through the TV’s smart system” but the connectivity is more stable through sky (it occasionally buffers or stalls via the TV) and it’s also just all very convenient through Sky without having to flick back and forth.

Is there a setting I am missing or is there a particular HDMI port i need to be using? It must be something stupid I’m doing.

NiceSwan.

Go into picture settings once you're watching through the tv apps then take a note of all the settings and try to replicate the settings once watching through Sky. Every option/hdmi/input need to have their settings set manually.... In that the settings for my hdmi 1 (Ps5) and then switching to my hdmi 2 (blu-ray) the settings don't stay the same...

Go into picture settings once you're watching through the tv apps then take a note of all the settings and try to replicate the settings once watching through Sky. Every option/hdmi/input need to have their settings set manually.... In that the settings for my hdmi 1 (Ps5) and then switching to my hdmi 2 (blu-ray) the settings don't stay the same...
It should still show if the content streams as hdr. That’s not something you setup on the tv.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom