Philips 2021 OLED TV Owners' Thread (706, 806&856, 956)

I will monitor it, I know that it did a refresh on Thursday after watching the TV and I left it on standby for a few hours, when I switched on yesterday, it said that refresh had completed and then after 4 Hours of watching yesterday, it did a refresh, but I am sure that I read somewhere that it needs refreshing every 4 Hours, will have took for what I read
whereever you read 4 hours - its wrong. Its 12 hours.

@malctAN Probably you are confused with the timer to save energy. This timer is standard been set at 240 minutes or 4 hours. It will kick in while watching TV when there is no remote button being pressed for that time.

The timer for clearing residual images on the new TV's is 12 hours. It can change after a while or you can change it with the OLED OFFRS TIME and the OLED JB TIME parameters in the Service Menu. Although I do not recommend changing those settings. Philips probably has a good reason why they have put in those numbers.

Changing the value of protecting the local images (such as logos) will not have an influence at the timer. It's only the brightness that you adjust with this setting. The 2021 Philips OLED line up also uses pixel shifting to prevent burn-in. Unlike other brands, you can't turn it off either. So if you pay close attention sometimes you will notice a black line on one side of the television. It's so subtle that it's actually never going to bother you.

Thanks, I will check it out and maybe I need to understand the TV a lot more to get a better understanding on how it all works

Just purchased a 65 ,706
Looking to possibly buy a Sound bar for the TV ,question is ,do i really need one in as much as ,is the TV speaker system pretty good .

I bought the 936 for the sound bar but I was disappointed mainly due to my expectations of what I heard thinking it would do away with my 5.1 set up, so exchanged the 936 for the 856 and planning on using my 5.1 set up again. However I believe Philips do a wireless speaker set up . Philips sound bar was to expensive at £1000 so I ruled that out.

I still haven't figured it out what exactly the timers are for clearing the residual images. But the TV has two completely different methods for doing this. One is called OLED OFFRS and the other is called OLED JB. These methods are only activated when the TV is in standby mode.

The OFFRS method only takes approximately 5 minutes and will start when his timer (OLED OFFRS TIMER) has been triggered and the TV is in standby for 5 minutes. When the OFFRS has cleared the residual images successful then the counter OLED OFFRS COUNT will be raised by 1.

You can see this counter by pressing 123654 on your remote and scrolling through the Consumer Service Menu by pressing the up or down button on the remote. Don't worry within this menu you can't do anything wrong. You can not change anything. It's just for viewing some extra information. Pressing the back button will close the menu.

The JB function is a deeper method for clearing the residual images. It also takes about one hour to complete. Probably the trigger timer OLED JB TIMER is being set at 1500 hour or maybe 1800 hour. Again this process will start when his timer has been triggered and the TV is in standby for 5 minutes. When the JB function has cleared the residual images successful then the counter OLED JB COUNT will be raised by 1.

That's why it is also important to put a Philips OLED TV in standby mode and not completely switch off or even unplugging from the electrical power.

So it's better to leave the TV in standby mode all the time and the refresh will look after itself

I bought the 936 for the sound bar but I was disappointed mainly due to my expectations of what I heard thinking it would do away with my 5.1 set up, so exchanged the 936 for the 856 and planning on using my 5.1 set up again. However I believe Philips do a wireless speaker set up . Philips sound bar was to expensive at £1000 so I ruled that out.
I have the tab8805 Dolby soundbar. It’s on offer at the moment for 300. Really kicks a punch

Ok folks. Don’t Shoot me down. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem as I know there are problems with arc etc but haven’t seen anyone mention this issue I have.

I have a Philips soundbar connected to hdmi 2 on the 806 and a sky box connected on hdmi 1

What happens is I turn on the tv with the sky in standby then the soundbar doesn’t come on with cec but as soon as I bring on the sky box out of standby the soundbar kicks in.

Also when the soundbar is on if the sky box goes to sleep then the soundbar will cut off and go to tv speakers.

Is this the same arc issue other folk are having or is this something else. And any suggestions on how to fix it?

Hi Abay710,

I have a similar issue with a 55OLED856 fresh installed.

I connected my soundbar Samsung HW550 with the Tv's HDMI ARC. When I configure the TV to use the HDMI signal, the sound works find. But when the TV is powered off / on, there is no sound anymore. I have to double select the hdmi signal in the configuration panel to bring back the sound by the soundbar. This bug are totaly unsolvable for my wife or my childrens.

I detected an another bug with the HDMI ARC, when the sound is set to the minimun 0, and next to 1 or more, there is no sound anymore. I have to double select the hdmi signal in the configuration panel to bring back the sound by the soundbar.

I think that all of this bugs are software based. Completely unacceptable for this kind of well known protocol. At time, there is no possible new update detected by the TV.

I would like to bypass these issues by using the optical audio output, but in this scenario I can't manage the soundbar with the TV' remote control.

Regards

Topdam

Anyone considering a Philips oled should really just wait for the 2022 line-up. The 2021 models all are plagued with issues.

Hi Abay710,

I connected my soundbar Samsung HW550 with the Tv's HDMI ARC. When I configure the TV to use the HDMI signal, the sound works find. But when the TV is powered off / on, there is no sound anymore. I have to double select the hdmi signal in the configuration panel to bring back the sound by the soundbar. This bug are totaly unsolvable for my wife or my childrens.

I detected an another bug with the HDMI ARC, when the sound is set to the minimun 0, and next to 1 or more, there is no sound anymore. I have to double select the hdmi signal in the configuration panel to bring back the sound by the soundbar.

I think that all of this bugs are software based. Completely unacceptable for this kind of well known protocol. At time, there is no possible new update detected by the TV.

I would like to bypass these issues by using the optical audio output, but in this scenario I can't manage the soundbar with the TV' remote control.

Regards

Topdam
I have no issues with ARC on my 65 856 and my Denon AVR.
Works exactly as it should.
(I’ve got eARC disabled though in TV settings as AVR is not eARC)

When you say powering the TV off, do you mean standby mode, or do you mean literally mean off at the wall and then back on.
I leave my TV in standby and when powering on it turns on my AVR, when powering off it shuts off my AVR.
If I turn off the AVR, the TV speakers activate.

Hi Abay710,

Regards

Topdam
With regards to your first bug with the sound not there when powering on I had this as well but sorted it by putting earc to off and auudio output to multistrean hope this helps

Also there is an update coming out. It was meant to be last week or the week before. But seems to be delayed. Hopefully it’s cause there taking the extra time to fix more bugs

Is it possible to change the Philips screensaver? Or simply have it have a blank screen instead?

Hello new here just ordered a 65OLED706 should be a nice upgrade from my old Samsung UE46ES8005XXE will probably have tons of questions once it arrives.

And thats fine.
If your TV forces you to do a refresh after 4 hours then its broken and you should contact the dealer or Philips directly for RMA.
Its hardcoded to 12 hours, no minute less.
What can happen is that you watched 5 hrs and 59 minutes yesterday, then you would get the message after 6 hrs and 1 minute today as it is doing the refresh automatiically in the background when its powered off after exactly 6 hrs of usage.

What you can have a look at is the CSM page 5 what values are shown there for the OFFRS history. When on a HDMI input press 123654 on your remote and scroll down to page 5 to see what values are listed there.
If he had watcehd for 5 hrs and 59 minutes,.. Yesterday.. The tv allready has done it's pixelrefresh.. when he switched the tv off.. As oleds do this after 4 hrs.. and then switching off to standbye.. !?

Here we have $200 difference between 706 and 856 (same as 806), is there the same panel for both ?

Thanks. 706 seems to be the best Q/P for the moment. I've ordered 706 but I can cancel if 856 is the better value (I don't really care about 4 sided Ambilight and the better remote)

Don’t get 856 if you are wall mounting. The bottom ambilight had a large gap. 806 doesn’t.

The 806 and 856 have a newer panel with slightly higher brightness vs the 706 (but not one of the new EVO panels on the 9 series)

Don’t get 856 if you are wall mounting. The bottom ambilight had a large gap. 806 doesn’t.

The 806 and 856 have a newer panel with slightly higher brightness vs the 706 (but not one of the new EVO panels on the 9 series)
Don't have 806 discounted here. I'll stay with 706 even if the panel is not the same. I was pretty sure that it was. Was wrong then :D

Maybe a strange question, but...

Any reasons not to buy a 65/706 for the following...

Disney+, Netflix, Prime and iPlayer with occasional recorded terrestrial broadcasts.

Watch very little sport and I'm not a gamer.

Have a separate sound system so inbuilt speakers aren't a priority.

Thanks

Hi I'm looking to buy my first OLED, 55". I'm concerned about the reflectiveness for daytime viewing on glossy screens; I thought they were pretty bad on a LG CX I viewed. So I was hoping a semi-gloss screen might be better. The Sony A80J is semi-gloss but I don't like that for other reasons. I've not managed to find anything that says whether the Philips 706 and 806 have glossy or semi-gloss. Can anyone who owns them advise please?
Thanks

I have the Sony a80j great TV why don't u like it ,a Sony will always be better than Philips.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom