Philips 2021 OLED TV Owners' Thread (706, 806&856, 956)

You know what, I've totally changed my mind on the settings. After nearly 3 weeks of trial and error I finally resolved to resetting everything to default. I think I made such a bad job initially that now I just put everything on Home Cinema or HDR Home Cinema and it looks fantastic (albeit with the motion on Smooth) . I'm not sure if I've just grown accustomed to these settings over time or my set has settled since I bought it.
I find Vivid is just too 'blingy' and a bit distracting. I've moved away from trying not to use Light Boost, as everything without it is just washed out. I try not to over enhance the colour or use the Wide gamut, also have resorted to keeping the colour temp on normal, as warm is just too much like viewing through honey.
I find noise reduction and mpeg artefact reduction a waste of time and tend to keep the sharpness about 5 for HD and 7 for HDR.
Would appreciate any feedback, however I'm now only allowed to tinker when the wife is not in, she says if she hears that remote click on more time during a show, she is going to smash it....lol
How are you liking the settings so far?

I really like the image quality of the TV and I love the ambi light, but some movies/content just looks as if I'm on the film set itself instead of watching a movie. And yes that is a bad thing. The whole image is clear/really sharp (sorry I'm not a native English speaker, so I don't know the exact term for it) making some content (almost) unwatchable for me.

A good example is the movie 'Errementari'. A horror movie, but I turned it off because if felt like I was watching an outdoor theater play instead of a horror movie.

Settings: I've turned off all the 'enhancers' and set the picture to 'filmmaker mode'. Light boost is turned off. Contrast is set on 100.

By the way: I also had the white artifacts once in one episode of Downton Abbey. Strange enough it only occurred in one episode.

Another weird thing: sometimes there is a little jitter like some frames are being skipped.

ps: I had to laugh hard about changing settings while watching something with the wife. If I never post here again that is probably because I changed the settings one time too many while watching something together :D

and how is he to you? What was it compared to when you bought it?
Dont get me wrong, the picture is fantastic, it just doesn't like SD sources. I still own the previous TV for a comparison, it is an older tech backlit led Samsung 8 series, and side by side there is a huge difference. At first glance the 8 series still looks nice until you notice how muted and crushed everything looks compared to the 706. And I think that is part of the issue that because the picture quality on a decent source is so good, that everything is noticeable.

Как вам настройки?

Мне очень нравится качество изображения на телевизоре, и мне нравится окружающий свет, но некоторые фильмы / контент просто выглядят так, как будто я нахожусь на самой съемочной площадке, а не смотрю фильм. И да, это плохо. Все изображение четкое / действительно резкое (извините, я не являюсь носителем английского языка, поэтому я не знаю точного термина), что делает некоторый контент (почти) недоступным для просмотра.

Хороший пример - фильм «Errementari». Фильм ужасов, но я выключил его, потому что мне казалось, что я смотрю театр под открытым небом, а не фильм ужасов.

[URL Unfurl = "true"] Errementari: The Blacksmith and the Devil | Netflix Official Site [/ URL]

Настройки: я отключил все «усилители» и установил изображение в «режим режиссера». Усиление света выключено. Контрастность установлена на 100.

Кстати: у меня тоже однажды были белые артефакты в одном эпизоде «Аббатства Даунтон». Как ни странно, это произошло всего в одном эпизоде.

Еще одна странность: иногда возникает небольшой джиттер, как будто пропускаются некоторые кадры.

ps: Пришлось сильно посмеяться над изменением настроек во время просмотра чего-то с женой. Если я больше не публикую здесь, это, вероятно, потому, что я слишком часто менял настройки, когда смотрел что-то вместе.: D
everything is very simple. This is the smoothness feature enabled. You can turn it off or customize it to your liking. It is called Natural Motion.

RS have a £1000 off the 77" 806 at the moment :thumbsup:

1634912302398.png

OFFER 1
Get £1000 OFF marked price using voucher RSTV1000. Available from our stores, from our telesales team, or online, ends 23:59 04.11.21. Offer excludes Clearance, Refurbished and Open Box products. Not in conjunction with any other voucher code offer.

How are you liking the settings so far?

I really like the image quality of the TV and I love the ambi light, but some movies/content just looks as if I'm on the film set itself instead of watching a movie. And yes that is a bad thing. The whole image is clear/really sharp (sorry I'm not a native English speaker, so I don't know the exact term for it) making some content (almost) unwatchable for me.

A good example is the movie 'Errementari'. A horror movie, but I turned it off because if felt like I was watching an outdoor theater play instead of a horror movie.

Settings: I've turned off all the 'enhancers' and set the picture to 'filmmaker mode'. Light boost is turned off. Contrast is set on 100.

By the way: I also had the white artifacts once in one episode of Downton Abbey. Strange enough it only occurred in one episode.

Another weird thing: sometimes there is a little jitter like some frames are being skipped.

ps: I had to laugh hard about changing settings while watching something with the wife. If I never post here again that is probably because I changed the settings one time too many while watching something together :D
I think it's important to leave the light boost on for HDR content, and I also have it on low for HD an SD content.
I'm not a fan of filmmaker mode and usually have the motion on Movie for a bit of balance since Normal and Smooth look too fake.

Hi All,

Could current owners please chime in on the following points regarding the 806 OLED to help a potential owner make a buying decision? :) Thanks!

1. How is the reflection handling of the 806 in a bright room?

2. Is the nits brightness sufficient for daytime / bright room viewing? Or better to go for the 936+ with the brighter EVO panel?

3. Does the 806 have Apple AirPlay 2?

4. Does the 806 have a single or twin tuner?

5. Lastly, which full motion wall mounts do users recommend for the 77" version?

PS. it seems Richer Sounds have £1000 off the 77" inch 806 at the moment, taking the cost to £2,999 which seems pretty competitive with other 77" OLED sets on the market like the LG C1 and CX.

Thanks!

Hi All,

Could current owners please chime in on the following points regarding the 806 OLED to help a potential owner make a buying decision? :) Thanks!

1. How is the reflection handling of the 806 in a bright room?

2. Is the nits brightness sufficient for daytime / bright room viewing? Or better to go for the 936+ with the brighter EVO panel?

3. Does the 806 have Apple AirPlay 2?

4. Does the 806 have a single or twin tuner?

5. Lastly, which full motion wall mounts do users recommend for the 77" version?

PS. it seems Richer Sounds have £1000 off the 77" inch 806 at the moment, taking the cost to £2,999 which seems pretty competitive with other 77" OLED sets on the market like the LG C1 and CX.

Thanks!

1) It depends
2) yes
3)no
4) Single

1) It depends
2) yes
3)no
4) Single

Thanks for the quick response.

On the brightness side of things, do you know if the 806 is as bright or brighter than last year's 935+? I had the 935 for a while and although the PQ was brilliant there were a number of unresolvable issues and it was eventually sent back.

Lastly, the specs indicate the 806 has Android TV v.10 as the OS. I thought these new models may have had Google TV like Sony is rolling out for its new models. Hypothetically, do you think an over-the-air update in the future is possible to upgrade Android 10 to Google TV?

The non-inclusion of Apple AirPlay 2 is a strange one (licensing?) but at least it has built-in Chromecast for streaming content from the iPhone.

On the brightness side of things, do you know if the 806 is as bright or brighter than last year's 935+? I had the 935 for a while and although the PQ was brilliant there were a number of unresolvable issues and it was eventually sent back.

Lastly, the specs indicate the 806 has Android TV v.10 as the OS. I thought these new models may have had Google TV like Sony is rolling out for its new models. Hypothetically, do you think an over-the-air update in the future is possible to upgrade Android 10 to Google TV?

The non-inclusion of Apple AirPlay 2 is a strange one (licensing?) but at least it has built-in Chromecast for streaming content from the iPhone.
I read in a review that this year's models will recieve the Google operating system, personally I'm not particularly bothered since I love the freedom of the Android system.

Last edited:
On the brightness side of things, do you know if the 806 is as bright or brighter than last year's 935+?

The 935 is able to give temporarily a maximum brightness of 935 nits. The 806 has a temporarily maximum of 943 nits. On paper it is a little bit better but you won't see this. It would be fair to say it is the same.

The same goes for EVO panels. If you have the chance to see them in action you really need to do this. Because on paper 20% more brightness is something everyone wants. But in reality you will notice the improvement is not so huge. If brightness is still an issue (overday viewing, sun,...) then EVO panels will certainly not be the solution.

The 806 will get Android TV in the beginning of next year. But to be honest. I hate it the Android interface. Ok..it will work now but within 2 or 3 years it is so outdated, slow and so on.

I also can not understand why they don't implement AirPlay 2. 🤔

I had the 935 for a while and although the PQ was brilliant there were a number of unresolvable issues and it was eventually sent back.

Are you aware of all the issues the 806 (and other 2021 Philips models) are facing? It is still a BIG question if Philips will resolve all the problems. That is something you really need to know before buying this one.

Hi all!
Been away from these Fora for quite a while but now I'm in the market again to buy a new TV.
Being a long time Philips user, and being accustomed to the Ambilight, the 806 series catch my attention and landed on this thread.

I see there are a few software quirks/bugs, and I'm trying to make a list of them to see what I'll be actually facing IF I buy this model (55" will be, BTW)...

Actually, as I currently have no 4K Sources connected, nor ARC/eARC systems, as far as I understand, I won't be immediately affected by any of the bugs I see mentioned here, and I could happily wait until they are all ironed-out (IF they will ever will, I know!)...

I must say that I already had my share of troubles with Philips being almost completely DEAF to complains on bugs affecting on of their (Back in the years) flagship model, and that made a nick in my faith in Philips' attention to customers, but have nevertheless continued to enjoy the TV I had in replacement of my first set (Only after a bugged them quite a lot and, in the end, wrote a complain to one of leading HiFi/HT Magazines in Italy that had a regular section for this...), so I'm aware that some of the bugs may well be never squished.

BUT...

I'm looking at LG's C1/G1 and (Not very seriously...) at Sony's A90J and, peeking in respective owner's threads reveals a good dose of weirdness wit 4K/12Hz, ARC, eArc and so on...

Plus, the competition's sets would pose me some more troubles because of their dimensions/mounting solutions, while the 55OLED806 would be PERFECT in the TV space I already have.

Soooo...
I just want to ask to other, more knowledgeable, members here, am I correct in saying that, currently, NO comparable TV set is actually FREE from similar kind of quirks?

I'm still inclined to go the Philips' route once again, but I hope to get a quick check of my feelings from others, as I'm desperately trying to catch-up what I don't know on the State of the Art withe these technology monsters nowaday, and don't want to overlook something vital.

Thank you for any suggestion, guys!
Joe

Hi all!
Been away from these Fora for quite a while but now I'm in the market again to buy a new TV.
Being a long time Philips user, and being accustomed to the Ambilight, the 806 series catch my attention and landed on this thread.

I see there are a few software quirks/bugs, and I'm trying to make a list of them to see what I'll be actually facing IF I buy this model (55" will be, BTW)...

Actually, as I currently have no 4K Sources connected, nor ARC/eARC systems, as far as I understand, I won't be immediately affected by any of the bugs I see mentioned here, and I could happily wait until they are all ironed-out (IF they will ever will, I know!)...

I must say that I already had my share of troubles with Philips being almost completely DEAF to complains on bugs affecting on of their (Back in the years) flagship model, and that made a nick in my faith in Philips' attention to customers, but have nevertheless continued to enjoy the TV I had in replacement of my first set (Only after a bugged them quite a lot and, in the end, wrote a complain to one of leading HiFi/HT Magazines in Italy that had a regular section for this...), so I'm aware that some of the bugs may well be never squished.

BUT...

I'm looking at LG's C1/G1 and (Not very seriously...) at Sony's A90J and, peeking in respective owner's threads reveals a good dose of weirdness wit 4K/12Hz, ARC, eArc and so on...

Plus, the competition's sets would pose me some more troubles because of their dimensions/mounting solutions, while the 55OLED806 would be PERFECT in the TV space I already have.

Soooo...
I just want to ask to other, more knowledgeable, members here, am I correct in saying that, currently, NO comparable TV set is actually FREE from similar kind of quirks?

I'm still inclined to go the Philips' route once again, but I hope to get a quick check of my feelings from others, as I'm desperately trying to catch-up what I don't know on the State of the Art withe these technology monsters nowaday, and don't want to overlook something vital.

Thank you for any suggestion, guys!
Joe
I second the above. Is General consensus to keep our current tvs for a year longer and wait and see if the 2022 tvs all iron out the bugs? I'm on a LG b8 and was looking at a Philips but may leave it another 12 months. I was onw of the lucky ones and got a Ps5 so any "quirks" would bug the hell out of me!

I second the above. Is General consensus to keep our current tvs for a year longer and wait and see if the 2022 tvs all iron out the bugs? I'm on a LG b8 and was looking at a Philips but may leave it another 12 months. I was onw of the lucky ones and got a Ps5 so any "quirks" would bug the hell out of me!
You could probably have said this about every up and coming year for many years, and will hence. If the issues are too risky for you look elsewhere but I suspect you'll be okay. Remember forums and user reviews are a skewed negative sample so not entirely helpful

Android 10 will be replaced by Google TV on the 806/856 etc in 2022.

Have just watched The Green Knight with Dev Patel, absolutely bonkers film, however it is a fantastic showcase for HDR on these sets, I was blown away by the image quality.
Wife was like 'can we watch something else, it's boring', where as I was thinking 'wow, look at those inky blacks, and the light streaming through that open window'

Remember forums and user reviews are a skewed negative sample so not entirely helpful
The ‘real’ reviews are not always very helpful. They really don’t tell the real story because otherwise they will not get any products from that manufacturer in the future. So they are very careful to tell the negative things.

706 is down to £1300, would people with it recommend it or pay more for C1 or a80j. Though current prices put the a80j at £800 more and the c1 at £400 more.

706 is down to £1300, would people with it recommend it or pay more for C1 or a80j. Though current prices put the a80j at £800 more and the c1 at £400 more.
With that price difference I would go with the 706. All 3 are pretty comparable so unless you are a hardcore gamer that needs true 4K@120Hz (it works on 706 as well but without VRR/ALLM/DV) it doesn't make much sense to pay 400 more IMO.

706 is almost equal to 806, but much cheaper. 4K120 is of little use to anyone because game consoles work in this mode only in old games, or if the games make a mode of weaker graphics, but in 4K120 ... But in fact, all good games go to 4K30 or 4K60 MAXIMUM. And for 4K120 games you need not a game console, but a very powerful PC.

Differences between 706 and 706 are peak brightness, remote control and 3rd and 4th sides of the backlight. At the same time, the difference in price is large. The 706 even costs less than the C1, and at that price it is absolutely the best choice.

олед 806

олед 806

706 is almost equal to 806, but much cheaper. 4K120 is of little use to anyone because game consoles work in this mode only in old games, or if the games make a mode of weaker graphics, but in 4K120 ... But in fact, all good games go to 4K30 or 4K60 MAXIMUM. And for 4K120 games you need not a game console, but a very powerful PC.

Differences between 706 and 706 are peak brightness, remote control and 3rd and 4th sides of the backlight. At the same time, the difference in price is large. The 706 even costs less than the C1, and at that price it is absolutely the best choice.
So you are saying you would recommend it over the c1. To be honest the gaming 2.1 features are over rated. I'd rather have better overall picture quality.

I personally chose the 706 and it is coming to me. 806 is much more expensive and I see no reason to overpay until the price between them drops to + -200-300 dollars.

Thanks but now I can't decide if the 936 is worth it, wish there was somewhere I could view them side by side.

Are these bargains 706 below £1000 and 856 with £400 off to £1300! Is the PQ on the 856 equal to an A80J ???
speed

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom