Philips 2021 OLED Owners' Thread (706, 806&856, 956)

PingThing

Standard Member
Maybe a coincidence, and something else might be at play, but it seems that since latest update my 706 just randomly switches itself on, I've tried turning off CEC. Any other suggestions?

Rauha

Standard Member
I purchased the same cable as you, and things to be a bit better now, the black flickering has stopped and the TV can hold 120FPS.

I have Gysnc enabled, HDR on, 120FPS set in the graphics options - but the TV still only says "HDR Source" in the bottom right popup ( and not "game variable" like it sometimes does ). When I click info the TV confirms the source is at 120HZ, but I'm not sure if this means VRR is actually enabled ?

What's also strange is - if I choose 60HZ in Windows, then the image on the TV is really really crisp - and if I change it to 120Hz then it loses the crispness on the text and the colours do seem more washed out. Can you try this on your setup @tCC0 ? It should be really obvious when you change - to me, on 120HZ it looks like a badly compressed JPEG. When I check the Display Info on the TV for both 60Hz and 120Hz - the information other than the Hz is all the same - so no different colour profile etc.
I got my 48" 806 yesterday and I'm having the exact same problem. Tried just about everything, but nothing seems to help. Picture quality always drops when I switch from regular 60hz to PC 120hz.

Annoying since the same cable and GPU (RTX 3070) works fine with LG CX that has pretty much the same panel.

Mikhov

Standard Member
Owners of the 706th, tell me:
1. How do you like TV in general?
2. Is the brightness sufficient for daytime viewing? How does it work with movement?
3. The remote control is talking about nothing (it needs to be directed to TV, there is no voice search, etc.) - has someone tried to take the remote control from the 806th or even some universal one?

f5anor

Novice Member
Owners of the 706th, tell me:
1. How do you like TV in general?
2. Is the brightness sufficient for daytime viewing? How does it work with movement?
3. The remote control is talking about nothing (it needs to be directed to TV, there is no voice search, etc.) - has someone tried to take the remote control from the 806th or even some universal one?
I like it a lot!

I use it with a Sonos Amp, connected over HDMI ARC. I have no issues with sound (dont use eARC though). I use an Apple TV primarily to play movies, its set-up on HDR mode and Chroma 4:2:2.

Playing 4K HDR works great, except for some slight issues with Dolby Vision when using Plex or Infuse running on the Apple TV. Some of these movies play very discolored, also skipping frames. However this is no big issue for me, because they play perfectly well with Plex on the Android TV environment. In the long run, it would be good of course if these issues would be fixed.

On the other hand, I am used to so many bugs with Plex/Infuse on AppleTV that the above is merely a minor detail for me :)

The picture quality is fantastic! The brightness is great for me at any time of day, and I have it standing in a very bright room, with windows up to the ceiling on three opposite sides and no curtains. On the other hand, I live in the nordics :)

The remote is fine for me, although I mainly use the AppleTV remote. The Philips remote is good enough for switching on the TV and going though the menus. Occasional use of the Android TV client is OK, even though some things are a bit awkward if you are used to AppleTV usability.

Last edited:

Rauha

Standard Member
I got my 48" 806 yesterday and I'm having the exact same problem. Tried just about everything, but nothing seems to help. Picture quality always drops when I switch from regular 60hz to PC 120hz.

Annoying since the same cable and GPU (RTX 3070) works fine with LG CX that has pretty much the same panel.
And I just realised that Dolby ATMOS is also bugged trough Nvidia card.

Well, I guess that solves my problem of deciding which one of LG CX or Philips 806 will be my monitor (+secondary TV) and which one the living room TV. Monitor use with Nvidia card seems to be so badly bugged that TV use is the only option for Philips. Altough, the HDR10+ support on it had me leaning that way anyway.

Mikhov

Standard Member
And I just realised that Dolby ATMOS is also bugged trough Nvidia card.

Well, I guess that solves my problem of deciding which one of LG CX or Philips 806 will be my monitor (+secondary TV) and which one the living room TV. Monitor use with Nvidia card seems to be so badly bugged that TV use is the only option for Philips. Altough, the HDR10+ support on it had me leaning that way anyway.
oh! you have both of them?
Can you write a small comparison?
which one is brighter? which has better picture?

Rauha

Standard Member
oh! you have both of them?
Can you write a small comparison?
which one is brighter? which has better picture?
Well they both use the same LG 48" panel, so the differences are really in the OS and software.

Philips seems to be bit more bright, but I guess this comes from software allowing the same panel run bit brighter/hotter. I think Sony does the same, which is why AJ80 seems to get slightly better nits than CX/C1. Overall image quality seems to be almost equal, only the slight difference in brightness separating the two. Philips has really annoying picture presets. Even Filmmaker mode has annoying AI 'Enhancements active'!!! I really had to spend lot of time setting the picture modes in usable form on the Philips, where as with LG Expert, Cinema and Filmmaker modes are all pretty good on the go.

OS-wise I like the WebOS on CX more than the Android on Philips, but this is because the UI does not cover the whole screen. My understanding is that C1 uses new version of WebOS, which has new user interface that also takes over the whole screen. All of the apps that I use (Netflix, Amazon Prime, HBO, AppleTv+and Rokuten+ some local finnish apps) are availeable on both. Both are equally good in that respect. Altough, I was really dissapointed when I loaded up Rakuten on Philips and noticed that my movies with Dolby vision and Atmos were all showing as regular HDR and Dolby 5.1. Googling revealed that Rakuten only allows DV and Atmos on LG televisions......

Philips does have better HDR format support with having also HDR10+ and HDR10+ Adaptive. This is really nice for Amazon Prime users with loads of HDR10+ content. Interestingly, some of the Amazon stuff is availeable on both Dolby Vision and HDR10+, and in those cases Philips automaticly selects HDR10+ instead of Dolby Vision. There seems to be no way to select one HDR format over the other. This is my first HDR10+ television, so cannot really comment on the quality versus Dolby Vision yet.

Philips also has DTS support, which the LG lacks (I think), but I have no use for it and cannot comment.

806 comes with really nice remote. Aluminium and (faux?) leather. It also lights up. Feels really nice in hand. One the best remotes I have ever used. Wins clearly over LG's big, bulky and plasticy remotes.

Ambilight is big difference for anyone who cares about blinky RGB disco lights. I hate them and it makes no difference for me. But I have to admit that it is really well done RGB thingy. Propably the best in the market. Should factor in the decision for anyone who cares about RGB-lights.

Biggest drawback for 806 is the buggy firmware/software. Loads of problems with external devices. Makes it unusable as a monitor.

For pure TV and streaming usage: I would buy the Philips 806
For pure monitor use: LG CX/C1 (and its not even close)
For mixed use (TV, media box, monitor etc.): LG CX/C1 for now, maybe Philips 806 later IF Philips manages to get the firmware in working order.

Last edited:

erentil

i have q950t soundbar,i am planning to buy this tv.Will i have the audio problems that owners already have?

Last edited:

ahaydock

Anyone got the 65OLED856 yet?

Goldensniper

Novice Member
I had Philips/TPV TVs over 20 years now. In July I purchased the Sony A80J. I was not happy with the colors as I am used to Philips tone colors. There was a Bluewish Cold tone.

I therefore returned it and purchased a 55OLED806/12.

I was getting used to the TV because I preferred the color tones of Philips, especially after the Firmware Update TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.005.

I managed to calibrate the TV the way I really like, and watching any show ( especially on Netflix) was a blast for me.

However, yesterday I updated to TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.012 (10th October) and my color tones got much colder.

Shadow details are crushed, Skin tones are very White, and white shadow details are foggy. Also I perceive some frame skipping

I am trying to recalibrate it back but I am not a professional calibrator and don't have the material, it is too difficult to me.

Please, help me, what can I do ?

What are the changes details of this update ? ( patch notes)

Would it be possible to revert to the previous firmware?

TDLR : TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.012 screwed my picture quality and I don't how to revert.

PingThing

Standard Member
I had Philips/TPV TVs over 20 years now. In July I purchased the Sony A80J. I was not happy with the colors as I am used to Philips tone colors. There was a Bluewish Cold tone.

I therefore returned it and purchased a 55OLED806/12.

I was getting used to the TV because I preferred the color tones of Philips, especially after the Firmware Update TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.005.

I managed to calibrate the TV the way I really like, and watching any show ( especially on Netflix) was a blast for me.

However, yesterday I updated to TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.012 (10th October) and my color tones got much colder.

Shadow details are crushed, Skin tones are very White, and white shadow details are foggy. Also I perceive some frame skipping

I am trying to recalibrate it back but I am not a professional calibrator and don't have the material, it is too difficult to me.

Please, help me, what can I do ?

What are the changes details of this update ? ( patch notes)

Would it be possible to revert to the previous firmware?

TDLR : TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.012 screwed my picture quality and I don't how to revert.
I don't think it is your imagination, hence my earlier post where I asked if updating the firmware would set everything to default. I'm also not a professional calibrator, I spent a lot of time getting the picture to where I was happy with it so that I wouldn't have to touch it again.
It's enough to make me not want to touch another firmware update.

What generally works for me is to have all HDR content set to Cinema, light sensor off, set the light boost to medium, but set the Fast motion Clarity to medium to counter the counter the artifacts on the whites. I also set the Motion to Smooth to counter the frame skips. Everything else I just leave on default.....these may not be the best settings, but they're close enough for me to use across all content, and as much as I can stand to tinker with... lol

Goldensniper

Novice Member
I don't think it is your imagination, hence my earlier post where I asked if updating the firmware would set everything to default. I'm also not a professional calibrator, I spent a lot of time getting the picture to where I was happy with it so that I wouldn't have to touch it again.
It's enough to make me not want to touch another firmware update.

What generally works for me is to have all HDR content set to Cinema, light sensor off, set the light boost to medium, but set the Fast motion Clarity to medium to counter the counter the artifacts on the whites. I also set the Motion to Smooth to counter the frame skips. Everything else I just leave on default.....these may not be the best settings, but they're close enough for me to use across all content, and as much as I can stand to tinker with... lol
Hey ,
Thanks for your feedback.
Unfortunately, my settings stayed the same before and after the update.
I even tried to factory reset et re-install the TV. But still this Whity and cold image is there.
I am really mad at this, I contacted support waiting for their reply. Is there somewhere we can get previous firmwares?

PingThing

Standard Member
Anyone care to post there HDR, Dolby Vision and Standard HD settings for comparison. There seems to be a consensus in the few reviews that a knocking about that the default settings are ramped too high and are a bit artificial. However they don't seem to agree on what to tweak.

AdtAdt57

Hi, I understand they use a time counter before needing to perform a ‘refresh‘ of 10 minutes and a much longer timer before a full image retention process that takes an hour. I’m basing this on my few years old 9002, but this is what I see:

I’m not advising going into the service menus, however, in here on page 3 are a couple of metrics:
OLED OFFRS TIME == the time before it will do the next 10 minute refresh.
OLED JB TIME == the time before it will do the longer image retention recovery.

The longest time for my TV I’ve seen is 522 minutes before the OFFRS above and 254 hours before the JB, so that’s around 8 hours before needing the 10 minute refresh - does that fit with your on time?

As your 856 is new don‘t overly worry if it’s doing this in shorter times than mine above, as I seem to remember the times were quite shorter when mine was new, or perhaps I was just watching it more…
… like you I typically waited until I was ready to turn the TV off, mostly at the end of a evenings viewing.

If it doesn’t calm down a bit and your not having long period with on screen graphics for sport and games etc then log a support item on the Philips website - they seem to be encouraging folk to do this now and do reply in a week or few, guess they‘re busy.
Just an update, I decided to buy a 55OLED936, as now available in the UK…
… as there’s a specific 936/986 thread I’ll be using that for any comments.
I will keep an eye on this thread in case there’s any overlapping comments.

GMex

Novice Member
Hi, I took the plunge to replace my ageing (and frustrating!) Hisense 55M7000 with the 65OLED706 whilst it was on offer last week and I've now had a few days playing around with it. It's hooked up to a Sonos 5.1 (Arc, Sub Gen3, 2x One SL) with eARC.

So far, I'm really impressed overall with the TV. Picture will still take some further tweaking, but even with the out-of-the-box settings, it's such an improvement over the Hisense! Dolby Vision (with Atmos) from the inbuilt Netflix app looks and sounds stunning to my eyes and ears!

I initially was using the in-built speakers which, as most reviews suggest, produce a decent output with good clear vocals (again, soooo much better than my old Hisense!). And as everyone who has it knows, Ambilight is just awesome!

I seen some of the issues mentioned in this thread but, as far as I can see, no one has mentioned some minor issues I've been experiencing:
  • Occasional sound cuts out on the Sonos - this seems to happen most frequently when watching Freeview channels, but has also happened on iPlayer. So far, it's never happened when using Netflix or Amazon. My first thought was that the sound be cutting out could be to do with the Freeview signal itself, but the fact that it's happened on iPlayer as well suggests this may not be the case. Nevertheless, I will try to find a better quality aerial cable to see if this improves things. The Arc is connected with it's supplied HDMI cable so I'll try to swap that out too, to see if that could be an issue.
  • Lip-sync issues on Freeview and iPlayer - this is a bit of an odd one (although it could be related to the first point). The picture and sound become progressively further out of sync over time and it seems to get worse the more I navigate around the TV i.e. navigating in and around the settings or home screen and then returning to the TV picture. This can usually be corrected by quickly switching the audio output back to TV Speakers and then back to eARC over HDMI. However, on occasion I've had to reboot the TV using the option in the Android Settings menu, in order to correct the issue.
I'm on the latest firmware TPM211EA_R.001.001.233.012.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else with a similar setup (even with the other 06/56 models in the range) have experienced any issues like the ones I've described. And, of course, any suggested solutions

Also, if anyone has any questions on the 65OLED706, I'll do my best to answer - although please note, I'm not an expert!!!

ahaydock

For one incoming this week. Weds or Thurs I hope.
Cool. Report back please. Seen some good prices for it but not sure if it will become cheaper (or the 806) towards Black Friday…

PingThing

Standard Member
Made a rookie error while calibrating my 706, was using Stranger Things on Netflix as my testbed, apparently no amount of tweaking and messing will smooth out compression artifacts, who knew?...
I'm equal parts relieved and embarrassed.

Manner2010

Standard Member
Made a rookie error while calibrating my 706, was using Stranger Things on Netflix as my testbed, apparently no amount of tweaking and messing will smooth out compression artifacts, who knew?...
I'm equal parts relieved and embarrassed.
and how is he to you? What was it compared to when you bought it?

Bouncinbudda

Novice Member
Hi, I took the plunge to replace my ageing (and frustrating!) Hisense 55M7000 with the 65OLED706 whilst it was on offer last week and I've now had a few days playing around with it. It's hooked up to a Sonos 5.1 (Arc, Sub Gen3, 2x One SL) with eARC.

So far, I'm really impressed overall with the TV. Picture will still take some further tweaking, but even with the out-of-the-box settings, it's such an improvement over the Hisense! Dolby Vision (with Atmos) from the inbuilt Netflix app looks and sounds stunning to my eyes and ears!

I initially was using the in-built speakers which, as most reviews suggest, produce a decent output with good clear vocals (again, soooo much better than my old Hisense!). And as everyone who has it knows, Ambilight is just awesome!

I seen some of the issues mentioned in this thread but, as far as I can see, no one has mentioned some minor issues I've been experiencing:
  • Occasional sound cuts out on the Sonos - this seems to happen most frequently when watching Freeview channels, but has also happened on iPlayer. So far, it's never happened when using Netflix or Amazon. My first thought was that the sound be cutting out could be to do with the Freeview signal itself, but the fact that it's happened on iPlayer as well suggests this may not be the case. Nevertheless, I will try to find a better quality aerial cable to see if this improves things. The Arc is connected with it's supplied HDMI cable so I'll try to swap that out too, to see if that could be an issue.
  • Lip-sync issues on Freeview and iPlayer - this is a bit of an odd one (although it could be related to the first point). The picture and sound become progressively further out of sync over time and it seems to get worse the more I navigate around the TV i.e. navigating in and around the settings or home screen and then returning to the TV picture. This can usually be corrected by quickly switching the audio output back to TV Speakers and then back to eARC over HDMI. However, on occasion I've had to reboot the TV using the option in the Android Settings menu, in order to correct the issue.

I'd be interested in hearing if anyone else with a similar setup (even with the other 06/56 models in the range) have experienced any issues like the ones I've described. And, of course, any suggested solutions

Also, if anyone has any questions on the 65OLED706, I'll do my best to answer - although please note, I'm not an expert!!!
Hi,

I own a Philips 65OLED856 and seem to be having this issue too where the sound cuts out on my Sonos Arc from time to time on various native apps I’m using. I used to own an 805 but returned it due to be being unhappy with a few things but never had this issue on the 805,which leads me to believe it could be a firmware issue or hardware issue with the new HDMI 2.1 ports.

Have you raised the issue with Philips or Sonos?

I also also don’t seem to be getting Dolby Atmos from the Disney Plus native app even though the shows I’m watching are tagged with Dolby Atmos,just get DD 5.1

Thanks

Plot

Novice Member

None of the players that I installed via Google Play stayed in sync for me. The only one that does work properly is the default player of the tv. Sucks :(

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Black Friday 2021: What you need to know
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Blu-ray Special - The Cinema of Zhang Yimou & Gong Li
  • By Mark Costello
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 24th November 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Panasonic 2021 TV update brings full 4K resolution with VRR and HFR