Philips 2019 OLEDs 804/854 release dates

bighops15

Novice Member
Can you ask RS when the 804 will be in stock and how much?
Just spoke to RS and the system says stock is due in by the end of August. They expect it to be very limited stock initially of only 3 or 4 units and that is just with the 65 OLED 854. They dont have the 804 listed on their system anywhere. hope that helps but sounds like we are a couple weeks away from it being available!

bighops15

Novice Member
What hi-fi Philips OLED 804 Review.
Sounds like it may have motion problems

Hands on: Philips OLED804 / OLED854 review | What Hi-Fi?
This article was from Jan 25th based on limited hands on at CES. The full launch review of final hardware/ software on Trusted Reviews state that the motion is excellent. here is what was quoted in that article regarding motion:

On the motion front, the processing is now more adaptive, to reduce the chance of artefacts and softness appearing over or around fast-moving objects.

Philips’ Movie motion setting does a pretty nifty job of reducing judder without causing either processing artefacts or too much soap opera-like smoothness. If you want to remove all judder while retaining maximum 4K resolution, Philips’ Smooth setting is unprecedentedly good at doing just that, without generating the sort of flickering and halo problems all other motion systems cause on their highest settings.

2ch Man

Formerly 'Blues Rock'
Oh okay that's better news then looking forward to this coming out in uk retailers

2ch Man

Formerly 'Blues Rock'
Just hope that this Android OS is better than Sony tvs
Hopefully it will have catch up tv BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub, All 4, Demand 5 or will have to get a device with Catchup services on it

dickyarundel

804 65" at £2600.That's the one for me.I will be buying late oct./early nov.It looks a steal at that price.Will still be looking to get at least 5-10% off that right from day 1.

SmAShY

That looks like last years tech. with DV. thrown in?
Still a good price though!
EDIT:Saphi os.
Says p5 processor,no mention of p5 pro.
So the differences between the 704/754 and 804/854 are the operating system and processor you reckon?

marinecommando

Just ordered my 65OLED804 fromRS via the webshop as opposed to store. Have paid for next business day so hopefully here Monday. Ive waited and age for this TV and would've had a Sony or LG by now it wasn't for my love of Ambilight! Hopefully my patience will be rewarded!

dickyarundel

Just ordered my 65OLED804 fromRS via the webshop as opposed to store. Have paid for next business day so hopefully here Monday. Ive waited and age for this TV and would've had a Sony or LG by now it wasn't for my love of Ambilight! Hopefully my patience will be rewarded!
I am jealous!
Will be getting mine asap.

heladepela

Novice Member
Finally, it's reached the shops. Been waiting on this TV since January ! Who will be wall-mounting theirs ? What bracket would people recommend ?

We are due an upgrade after having and enjoying the Philips 40PFL9704 for near enough 10 years.

Chorltonpotter

Has your TV arrived?

marinecommando

Has your TV arrived?
In the last half hour yes. A flurry of activity and its now on the wall and doing an update. Having some issues with HDR not picking up from my appletv, worked fine with my 55POS9002 so looks like i need to mess around a bit. Currently in HDMI 1 so will look to try the other ones and see if that works out. Will keep you posted

Attachments

Chorltonpotter

In the last half hour yes. A flurry of activity and its now on the wall and doing an update. Having some issues with HDR not picking up from my appletv, worked fine with my 55POS9002 so looks like i need to mess around a bit. Currently in HDMI 1 so will look to try the other ones and see if that works out. Will keep you posted

Keep us updated :)
Btw are you selling your 9002?

marinecommando

Sorted, quick reboot of the AVR and changed the HDMI port from Standard to Optimal in settings now getting Dolby vision from the apple tv via my receiver. Now to give End Game 4K bluray a bit of punishment! Keeping the 9002 for the kitchen / family room - one of the best TVs I've ever owned!

Attachments

King Dazzar

Standard Member
Very early days, but so far my 65" 804 is a step up from my LG C7 65". In my limited time with it, Game mode seems to have better motion and better HDR than the duller LG Game mode. Love Ambilight (though I wouldnt bother integrating it with hue lighting) and the OS has been fine, pluses and minuses vs the LG. I have my C7 in my bedroom now and thats where it will stay. Only minor quibble is that you only get the one main remote with it.

Overall so far so good. I'll post more once I watch some UHD discs tonight. I wont be surprised to find the motion is better than the C7.

Chorltonpotter

Looking forward to more reviews.
I still can't decide if I should just get a second hand 9002 or last stock of an 803 or wait and save for a 804 on black Friday ect...

bighops15

Novice Member
got mine this week. pretty brilliant so far. colours are amazing as well as brightness. ambilight is great as well. motion needed a bit of tweaking, i think the movie preset is a nice balance for smooth motion without any soap opera effect.

Also fully in stock at richer sounds now!
Philips 65OLED804

King Dazzar

Standard Member
Yep, I settled on Movie too. Grand Tour looks good in HDR10+ and more balanced than the C7. I'm finding the Philips has more clarity/detail than the softer C7 too.

On the downside I do have a bit of panel lottery mild tint visible on white screens so slightly noticeable on for example chrome doing a google search, but not in normal content. Where as my C7 panel is near perfect in that regard. However my Philips has pretty much no banding at all in test slides, where as the C7 has a little, again though none of which is visible in normal content. My understanding is that this is the nature of the beast with all OLEDS.

Only other thought, is that its handy having a harmony remote as it allows a key to be set for direct settings access without the need to go via the homepage or frequent settings first. Which then makes picture settings access actually quicker than the LG Web OS. For me at least anyway. On the downside the Home Page could be at a higher/clearer resolution in my opinion.

King Dazzar

Standard Member
Just a quick update on my testing of the metadata mentioned in that review. I disagree with the 1500 nits. I've tested all the HDR Perfect settings and from a gaming HDR perspective found:
Off tracks to 4000 nits tone mapping
Minimum to 3500 nits
Medium 3000 nits
Maximum 2000 nits
Auto 2000 nits, but with some dynamic tone mapping added

Hope that helps when choosing settings in game when available. I far prefer this approach to the LG C7 locked at 4000nits.

Last edited:

2ch Man

Formerly 'Blues Rock'
Question for Philips OLED804 owners do you get a message pop up telling you the content you are viewing for example Dolby Vision or HDR 10 when you go on to Netflix because just wondered as you don't on Panasonic OLED tv.