PHILIPS 2011 - 9000 Series Smart LED TV

yes it's a static picture but you can notice them also during football matches or images in motion with a prominent color.
I have the effect during football although not nearly that bad as your picture indicates. On static or near static pictures I have not seen it. Have you tried to alter the settings one by one and see if you can minimise it?

I have the effect during football although not nearly that bad as your picture indicates. On static or near static pictures I have not seen it. Have you tried to alter the settings one by one and see if you can minimise it?

yes thanks for asking, I tried everything with no luck, especially all the backlight and dynamic contrast values. It's bugging me how they removed the Options setting from the service menu, it's a step backward! guess I'll just contact Philips now.

Still, any kind help with the service menu is appreciated.

The banding can be turned off, I believe it's the 'Edge bit enhancement' option that needs turning off in the service menu. However they may have changed it slightly in the 2011 models from the 2010 so I'm guessing a bit, but that's how it's fixed on the 9705.

yes it's a static picture but you can notice them also during football matches or images in motion with a prominent color.

Sounds like you are describing the dirty screen effect, panel problem, you can't fix it so just return it. Philips won't acknowledge the problem.

I'm wondering if I should return it, hope Philips acknowledge this issue or it would be pretty much disappointing.

[Falls off chair laughing]

The banding can be turned off, I believe it's the 'Edge bit enhancement' option that needs turning off in the service menu. However they may have changed it slightly in the 2011 models from the 2010 so I'm guessing a bit, but that's how it's fixed on the 9705.

Sounds like you are describing the dirty screen effect, panel problem, you can't fix it so just return it. Philips won't acknowledge the problem.

[Falls off chair laughing]

I think that standard with all manufacturers. It is easier to get blood from a stone than getting any of them to admit that there is a fault with their precious TV's.

I have played around with a calibration DVD (JKP DVE HD Basics). It seems perfect picture with NO hint of dirty screen or banding on static images. However, with dynamic contrast and backlit enabled I can get the dirty screen appearing (as consequence of differences in backlit for the different segments). This happens when there are some few different coloured segment on an even background. So I may suspect a number of the dirty screens observations could be attributed to this.

Ah now I have had the pfl6606 twice due to this fault. Returned both and ended up with a Samsung d7k which so far have also gone back for bleed issues.

I got the 9706, but it seems that the picture freezes for a split second twice or trice every so often (say every minute) ruining the experience. I wonder that it can have won any price with such problem, but maybe it's just my set suffering a fault? I still have a week to decide but it points towards returning if this continues.

Ah now I have had the pfl6606 twice due to this fault. Returned both and ended up with a Samsung d7k which so far have also gone back for bleed issues.
I had mine onsite repaired and afterwards it didn't work at all so it was in the shop for three weeks. The suspision was the main board which was about the only thing they forgot to change so I am still waiting forthe technician to get around with a new main board (the Perfect Motion is not available on HDMI 1) but apart from that the issue is almost gone (using HDMI 2 for now, but I'd like it to work on the ARC as well)

Become a qualified techncian for Philips I take it:laugh:
So, I found the code to get the service menu...:D But entering in, I loosing guarantee. That is bad news. I´ll wait 2 years and then get in:laugh:

(Sorry for my english)

So, I found the code to get the service menu...:D But entering in, I loosing guarantee. That is bad news. I´ll wait 2 years and then get in:laugh:

(Sorry for my english)
I am not sure you do, but if you cannot restore you may have to pay for a service visit.

New FW version 14.0.96 is out for download. No changelog though.

EDIT: The changelog!

Q555x_x.14.96.0 (Date published: 2012-03-02)

•3D format option not enabled in TV3 HD during 3D broadcasting.(Spain)
•Strange signs in ‘Multi View' visible.
•No support of certain HD and 3D channels via CI Card of DSMART.(Turkey)
•Automatic sorting of DVB-S channels not possible anymore.
•Intermittent scrambled program via Ziggo CI+.
•issues with German translation in the menu “sortieren”.

Last edited:
Had a service technician around yesterday to change the main board. A number of observations in this respect:
- new main board physically different than the old one
- perfect motion on medium smoothened out vertical picture issues when engaged - but inconsistantly, meaning not every time engaged like it did not kick in (this running the same clip)
- In general better result regarding rapid picture movements so that's is good news for me
- for the first time banding on static picture observed. However I can reproduce it on other panels even an old fashion TV so must be the recording.

Hi,
Can someone please explain what is the problems everyone here are talking about with the 9606 model? i have the 52" version and not sure if i'm crazy or not but when people or objects are moving in my picture they are surrounded with weird pixels that disappear very fast - my wife doesn't see it but i'm sure I've seen it!!

How is the 3D with PTA516 for you? trying to do it with PC HTPC so far no success.

- BTW I've payed a loot of money for this TV (in my country the cost is 4K $) so it was expected to be 'perfect':)

Thanks!
Kfir.

Hi,
Can someone please explain what is the problems everyone here are talking about with the 9606 model? i have the 52" version and not sure if i'm crazy or not but when people or objects are moving in my picture they are surrounded with weird pixels that disappear very fast - my wife doesn't see it but i'm sure I've seen it!!

How is the 3D with PTA516 for you? trying to do it with PC HTPC so far no success.

- BTW I've payed a loot of money for this TV (in my country the cost is 4K $) so it was expected to be 'perfect':)

Thanks!
Kfir.

Try to turn OFF the Perfect natural motion, if you turn on it.
Sorry for my english...:hiya:

OK - it worked!:)
Tried to connect my PC to the 9606 TV with GTX580 video card then setting the TV to PC Mode; Amazing image!
someone knows how the 3D playing with PC works? whats the refresh rate? (60h or 30 in 1080p)

Thanks!

Try to turn OFF the Perfect natural motion, if you turn on it.
Sorry for my english...:hiya:
Don't pardon your English just post your replies

I have noticed that certain broadcasts result in issues others not at all. So it can't be dirty screen and all that reported (in particular as my ref. BD shows none at all). So it seems related to either SW and/or the set's sensibolity to input quality (my LS in my sound system "suffers" from the same issue).

In short I have noticed is some films with rapid panning no issues what so ever and others plenty. In sports I often notice the banding. It reminds me 6 years back I could not stand watch sports (football) on my old TV set (also Philips 9000 series) although all other broadcasts were fine. A couple of years ago this changed and even football was just fine. Definitely not an issue with the SW (no updates available for years), so I conclude it's the incoming signal. A similar thing just happened as we changed from MP2 to MP4 signal - big issue over my HTPC on certain channels. After a couple of months this is gone. Certainly because of a change in the source signal. So today the picture and sound quality is close to perfect.

Last edited:
Hi!
Have you someone in the backup firmware version 000.014.096.000 on PFL9706K/02?
Thanks...

It's been a long time since i popped by, but I felt the need to share this; In my opinion the best reason to choose 9706.

9706_moth_eye_real_world.jpg
9706 reteains a fully visible image under strong direct light

I appologize for the image quality, it was taken with my phone. The panorama at the top (photoshop stiched, the window and tv are in reality directly paralell) shows the sun hitting the screen at a more or less direct angle- it was a very bright day. The image on the 9706 remains fully visible. My previous tv had a fully matte screen and under similar conditions the image could not compete against the light and would fade almost to flat grey. A glossy tv would reflect most of this light right back at you. Note that I have chosen a dark image as this is where problems would show up.

I am very impressed with this part of the moth eye effect.

My old 37pfl9830 did this as well, in fact I think it was even better when only part of the panel was in direct sunlight, but I'll have to wait till June when the sun is higher on the sky. But compared to most, in particular glossy sets, it's top.

Watching someone fall in the quality of SD broadcast after the last firmware update (000.014.098.000)?

Watching someone fall in the quality of SD broadcast after the last firmware update (000.014.098.000)?
I did not notice any negative effects

Does anyone know whether 52pfl9706 is any different from 9606? In store specs are pretty much identical except for contrast ratio of 150,000,000:1. I live in Istanbul, Turkey and reckon that it's a location specific model # as the only other reference to this models show up in eastern European websites. Thanks!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom