Philips 1920x1080p, can't accept 1920x1080p input!

G

gordymck

For anybody thinking of buying Philips new 37PF9830 (like I was until recently) then take note.:lesson: What a few people here suspected for a while looks like being confirmed...

I recently sent the following support request to Philips:

I am really interested in buying the 37PF9830, it looks fantastic.
However there is one contradiction in your literature I would be grateful if
you could clear up for me...

The product brochure clearly states "LCD True HD display,
1920x1080p", but then goes on to mention that the supported display resolution is only a maximum 1920x1080i.
Is the 1080p statement true, meaning the screen will accept a
progressive input of 1080p. OR will the display only support the interlaced 1080i.

Please clarify, as this would avoid future disappointment.
:confused:

The reply received is as follows:

With regards to your query we can advise that the maximum resolution
display of the 37PF9830 is 1920x1080i.

It is not capable of 1920x1080p. We apologise for the misinformation
provided in the brochure. It is however, still a High Definition
compatible television.

Therefore, it looks like the TV will not be compatible with the next generation of high definition DVD as stated in the literature, as there is no way of inputting the signal.
It is also unclear from the above reply if the display is still capable of upscaling a 1080i input to 1080p :thumbsdow

Well, it'll be compatible, at 720p or 1080i. But you're right, it won't be able to resolve all the video information.

A real pity, and a missed opportunity. I wonder why this is?

gordymck said:
Therefore, it looks like the TV will not be compatible with the next generation of high definition DVD as stated in the literature, as there is no way of inputting the signal.

Are you seriously suggesting that HD DVD Players, when they come out and whatever format wins (please HD-DVD! let $ony keep BluRay as their new 'Memory Stick', that one REALLY took of didn't it? :) ) won't have an option to output 1080p material in 1080i mode? All they have to do is output every second line on alternate frames - Granted, it won't be quite as good quality as true 1080p but surely it'll be as good as 1080i source material, which should still be a damn site better than PAL and (arguably) 720p...

Comments please, as if I need to ask?

Giblets2 said:
Granted, it won't be quite as good quality as true 1080p but surely it'll be as good as 1080i source material, which should still be a damn site better than PAL and (arguably) 720p...

Comments please, as if I need to ask?

It won't be able to take 1080p via its inputs, but let it be noted that 1080p is for the future: there is no bandwidth nor storage media for it currently(WMVHD is generally crap) and while EBU is mentioning 1080p as a goal HD mode for the future, the European BROADCAST standard is 1080i so this set will be good for that since you will not see commercially available 1080p content for a long time, I presume...The LCD set will de-interlace it anyway and if the source is progressive in nature like film (i.e. fields from the same frame didn't come from a different point in time) it will be no different than if the set received 1080p...

Kalos Geros said:
It won't be able to take 1080p via its inputs, but let it be noted that 1080p is for the future: there is no bandwidth nor storage media for it currently(WMVHD is generally crap) and while EBU is mentioning 1080p as a goal HD mode for the future, the European BROADCAST standard is 1080i so this set will be good for that since you will not see commercially available 1080p content for a long time, I presume...The LCD set will de-interlace it anyway and if the source is progressive in nature like film (i.e. fields from the same frame didn't come from a different point in time) it will be no different than if the set received 1080p...

I was under the impression that Blue Ray and HD-DVD would both be 1080p standard. Personally I think HD is really only noticible at 1080i but more with p I'm far from impressed with 720p and so a true 1080p LCD would be a worthy investment.

well I think current sizes of sets, especially in the UK, just aren't big enough to have a clear benefit from 1080p. I'm happy buying a 720p set now for TV. That'll be fine for broadcast TV for the lifetime of the set.

For my movies I have a front projector. Currently only 480p, but goes well with DVD. When bluray/HD DVD gets going, I'll have my beady eyes open for a 1080p for an upgrade. hopefully by then they'll have sorted out a method to actually carry the signal properly

Blu-Ray will be 1080p capable, this has been confirmed.

Lyris said:
Blu-Ray will be 1080p capable

As is HD DVD, although whether first generation players will output it, is still not known.

Steve

Blue Ray disks are larger than HD-DVD.

I read a while back that Sony had developed a 4-layer blue-ray disk capable of 100GB.

I like the idea of 1080p24 (the frame rate of cinefilms), as a worldwide standard but that would be too simple. Part of ATSC standard, not part of HDReady resolution list. From what I have read HD-DVD or Blue-Ray DVD will initially output 1080i, I think the source will be 1080p24.

Although the 1080p24 films I have watched via my PC do look a little jerky. Action movies may better at 720p60 (or 50) scuppering my own suggestion! Check out the scrolling credits at the end of the film, but that could be my PC creating the 1366x768p output.

Apparantely Bruce Lee (according to surf god/singer-song writer/film producer Jack Johnson - talented b$t%d!) was told to slow down some of his karate moves because they were too fast for the camera's and looked like special effects! But cinefilm runs at 24fps, so unless the cinefilm is sped up, where will the native 1080p60 material come from?? It can be created I suppose....

I do not know the answer, PS3 and PC games will be ok, but for films I guess/hope someone else can help.

(b4 people scream I have read the posts on the HD forum, as to why 50Hz and 60Hz will continue into the HD era, but as a simple engineer I see it as a wasted opportunity.)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom