Philips 1920 x 1080P 42" LCD: 42PF9731D/10 - Is this the answer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suave

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Like alot of you, everytime I like a 1920 x 1080 set. there seems to be an issue with it - I had in mind the 40/42" Samsung F71 Series, The Sharp LC42XD1E, The Toshiba 42WLT66 but reading the threads about the various issues each one of these I am really put off so like alot of you I am searching for alternatives and came across this set that I would like to bring to your attention.

It seems folks had issues like 1:1 pixel mapping across various resolutions, 1080P over all connections, no banding or over/underscan issues, motion blur etc - will this set address such or any other serious issues satsifactorily?

It seems that Philips may have sorted a few things and issues out - cant be sure but I really like the look of this set and it states it is 1920 x 1080P !!!!!!
the set is the 42PF9731D/10 - does any one have any info on it? Any reviews or user opinions? Good points and Bad? I would really love to know - apparently it has won the EISA European Award for HIGH END LCD TV so taking into account the issues that Philips seems to worry people about (including myself) surely it must be a good set? It just looks the bees knees -below is the hype from Philips and a PDF link......

Please give your thoughts if you can..

Regards,

Suave!

PDF FILE LINK: http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pf9731d_10/42pf9731d_10_pss_eng.pdf

Philips Hype:

Turn up your viewing experience
With Pixel Plus 3 HD and Ambilight
Enjoy the ultimate viewing experience of this Philips Cineos Flat TV with Full HD display, Pixel Plus 3 HD and Ambilight Surround. The Digital Media Reader with PC link gives you full access to multi-media content.

Features: + Specifications:

Immersive viewing experience
LCD Full HD display, 1920x1080p
This display has a resolution that is referred to as Full HD. With state-of-the-art LCD screen technology it has the full high-definition widescreen resolution of 1920 x 1080p. This is the highest resolution that HD broadcast can transmit. It allows the best possible picture quality from any format of HD input signal. It produces brilliant flicker-free progressive scan pictures with optimum brightness and superb colours. This vibrant and sharp image will provide you with an enhanced viewing experience.

Integrated Digital Tuner for DVB-T reception
The integrated DVB-T tuner lets you receive Digital Terrestrial TV to watch or record. This means you do not need an additional set top box or additional cables.

HD ready for the highest quality display of HDTV signals
Enjoy the exceptional picture quality of a true High Definition TV signal and be fully prepared for HD sources like HDTV broadcast, Blu-ray DVD or HDVD. HD ready is a protected label that offers picture quality beyond that of progressive scan. It conforms to strict standards laid out by EICTA to offer an HD screen that displays the benefits of resolution and picture quality of a High Definition TV signal. It has a universal connection for both analogue YPbPr and uncompressed Digital connection of DVI or HDMI, supporting HDCP. It can display 720p, and 1080i signals at 50 and 60Hz.

Pixel Plus 3 HD for the most vivid and sharp HDTV images
Pixel Plus 3 HD offers the unique combination of ultimate sharpness, natural detail, vivid colours and smooth, natural motion on all qualities of HD, standard TV signals and multi-media content, for high definition displays. Each pixel of the incoming picture is enhanced to match the surrounding pixels better, resulting in a more natural picture. Artifacts and noise in all sources from multi-media to standard TV and also in highly compressed HD are detected and reduced, ensuring that the picture is clean and razor- sharp.

Dynamic contrast enhancer delivering rich black details
You want the LCD flat display with the highest contrast and most vibrant images even at wide viewing angle. The Philips dynamic contrast enhancer uses video processing and unique dimming backlight technology. This delivers deep, rich black levels with increased detail. The dimming backlight increases the contrast up to five times*, and at the same time improves the viewing angle. It gives a bright, lifelike picture with high contrast and vibrant colours, (* factor between two and five, screen type and picture content dependent).

Ambilight Surround for an immersive viewing experience
With lights surrounding the picture, Ambilight 3 makes an impressive contribution to the overall viewing experience with ambient light on three sides to complement the colours and light intensity of the image on screen. It creates ambiance, stimulates more relaxed viewing and improves perceived picture detail, contrast and colour. Ambilight 3 automatically and independently adapts the colours of each screenside according to the changing content on the screen. With the third Ambilight the top of the picture is now fully surrounded, completely immersing you in the content.
True beauty lies in the details

Matching design swivel stand included
For maximum freedom of placement, this high-quality stand is designed specifically for this TV, and allows easy placement of your Flat TV without drilling holes in the wall. Enjoy the best viewing angle with the convenience of the 40 degrees of swivel (20 degrees each side). Invisible cable management is included in the back. This stand fits seamlessly on the matching accessory floorstand.

Perfect picture quality from your digital photos
Access your photos, music and movies via PC-link
The PC-link provides fun and easy access to your personal digital media files and multimedia content*. The widely used Ethernet (LAN) and WiFi open standards are used for wired and (optional) wireless** connection and ensure interoperability. Browse your PC collection of digital photographs, multimdia videos and music files via your home LAN network. The intuitive user interface of the TV and the Philips Multimedia Manager for your PC makes it available at the push of a button (* see product for supported formats, PC-LAN functionality required ** Additional 'Ethernet-bridge' device required)

Wireless prepared for connection to your PC
Wi-Fi is the leading standard for wireless broadband. With the wireless prepared function* in the Philips TV you can share PC multimedia content anywhere in your house, without the hassle of wires. High Bandwidth means you can enjoy high quality multimedia pictures, music or video, over distances that can reach up to 100 meters**. Access your WiFi PC or your home WiFi network (router). (*requires optional, WiFi Ethernet-bridge. **may vary under local conditions)

USB and Memory-Card slot for instantly playing multimedia
Instantly view and share your movies, photos and music. The Memory Card slot will accept cards of type Compact Flash I and II, Memory Stick, SD Card / Mini SD Card, Smart Media, Micro Drive (up to 2 GB) and Multi Media Card. Simply plug the memory card into the slot at the side of the TV, and access the multimedia files stored on the card. The USB connector allows access to multimedia files of most USB-sticks and most digital cameras (USB memory-class device).
For advanced performance
Dual HDMI input for full digital High Definition connection

Specifications:

Picture / Display
Aspect ratio : 16:9
Brightness : 550 cd/m²
Dynamic screen contrast : 4000:1
Response time (typical) : 8 ms
Viewing angle : 176º (H) / 176º (V)
Diagonal screen size (inch) : 42 inch
Diagonal screen size (metric) : 107 cm
Display screen type : LCD True HD W-UXGA Act. matrix
Panel resolution : 1920x1080p
Picture enhancement : Pixel Plus 3 HD, 3/2 - 2/2 motion pull down, 3D combfilter, Active Control & Light sensor, Digital Natural Motion, Dynamic contrast enhancement, Jagged line suppression, Progressive scan, Pulse Killer Chip, Widescreen plus
Screen enhancement : Anti reflection coated screen

Ambilight
Ambilight Features : Ambilight Surround, Auto adaptive to video content, Efficient low energy lamp
Colour settings : Full Multi-Colour
Dimming function : Manual and via light sensor

Supported Display Resolution
Computer formats : 640 x 480, 60Hz, 800 x 600, 60Hz, 1024 x 768, 60Hz
Video formats : 640 x 480i - 1Fh, 640 x 480p - 2Fh, 720 x 576i - 1Fh, 720 x 576p - 2Fh, 1280 x 720p - 3Fh, 1920 x 1080i - 2Fh

Sound
Output power (RMS) : 2x15W
Sound enhancement : Digital signal processing, Dynamic bass enhancement, Graphic equaliser
Sound system : Virtual Dolby Digital

Loudspeakers
Built-in speakers : 4
Loudspeaker types : Integrated woofers with wOOx, Dome tweeter

Convenience
Child Protection : Child lock & parental control
Clock : Smart clock
Ease of installation : Auto programme naming, Automatic Channel Install (ACI), Automatic Tuning System (ATS), Auto store, PLL digital tuning, Plug & Play
Ease of Use : Auto volume leveller (AVL), Delta volume per preset, Graphical user interface, On screen display, Program list, Side Control
Electronic Programme Guide : Now + Next EPG
Picture in Picture : Full dual screen (2 tuners), Text dual screen
Remote control : Amp, DVD, Sat, STB, VCR, Multi functional
Remote control type : RC4401
Screen format adjustments : 4:3, 6 widescreen modes, Auto format, Movie expand 14:9, Movie expand 16:9, Subtitle and heading shift, Super Zoom, Widescreen
Teletext : 1200 page hypertext
Teletext enhancements : Habit watch, Program information line
VESA Mount : Vesa compliant

Multimedia Applications
Digital content management : Digital Media Reader
Memory card types : Compact Flash type I, Compact flash type II, Memory stick, Micro drive, Multi-Media Card (MMC), Secure Digital Card (SD), Smart Media Card
Multimedia connections : Ethernet-UTP5, UPnP, WiFi (opt. Ethernet-bridge), 7-in-1 Memory Card Reader, USB (streaming video capable)
Playback formats : MP3, Slideshow files (.alb), JPEG still pictures, DivX 3.11, DivX 5, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, XviD

Tuner / Reception / Transmission
Aerial input : 75 ohm coaxial (IEC75)
TV system : DVB COFDM 2K/8K, PAL, SECAM
Video playback : NTSC, SECAM, PAL
DVB : DVB Terrestrial *
Tuner bands : Hyper band, S channel, UHF, VHF

Connectivity
Ext 1 Scart : Audio L/R, CVBS in/out, RGB
Ext 2 Scart : Audio L/R, CVBS in/out, RGB, Y/C
Ext 3 : YPbPr
Ext 4 : HDMI
Ext 5 : HDMI
Ext 6 : VGA PC-in, Audio L/R in
Front / Side connections : Audio L/R in, CVBS in, Headphone out, S video in, 2 x USB, Multi-slot memory card reader
Other connections : Analogue audio left / right out, Ethernet, S/PDIF in (coaxial), S/PDIF out (coaxial), Common Interface

Power
Ambient temperature : 5 °C to 40 °C
Mains power : AC 220 - 240 V +/- 10%
Power consumption : 248 W
Standby power consumption : 0.8W

Dimensions
Set Width : 1095 mm
Set Height : 764 mm
Set Depth : 114 mm
Set height (with stand) : 824 mm
Set depth (with stand) : 290 mm
Weight incl. packaging : 59 kg
Product weight : 35 kg
Box width : 1292 mm
Box height : 1064 mm
Box depth : 323 mm
Colour cabinet : High gloss black
VESA wall mount compatible : 800,400 mm

Accessories
Included accessories : Tabletop swivel stand, RF cable
Optional accessories : Floor stand

by the looks of things it doesent support 1080p over VGA or component no different to Sony X/w series and im sure this panel will be over priced

Doesn't support 1080p over hdmi either!!!

I was looking at it on their website yesterday, in the specifications it shows that it can't take a 1080p signal. Also clearLCD won't work on a high definition signal and there is no backlight control.

Typical Philips release, so near, yet so far.

It might be the answer if it was not made by Philips.

Hi all again,

What is wrong with Philips? How can they be such an innovative company, design stunning products and yet be so freaking incompetant in so many other areas? I just cant understand how the corporate structure works.. they always do this... create something just almost there and then poison their own well with really obviously stupid mistakes or omissions - I really thought this set may have answered my prayers - I love it on looks alone and would have (and silly me) would have even risked buying it despite the woesome customer service and some of he dreaded reliability issues.. Oh, well, will keep on waiting and waiting and waiting...

Suave

42PF9731D/10 - This model doesn't feature ClearLCD, so SD will look worse than the 37PF9731 - if that's at all possible.
There are known bugs with the 9731 models : including artefacting caused by the processing engine, green line on top of frame when fed 1080i, pixellating and blocking on movement, dithering to overcome colour banding of 9830 series.

Speaking to main Philips agents in my area (now ex-Philips dealers), they warn of Philips bad reliability, with regard to LCD/Plasma TV longevity.
A high proportion of units have failed prematurely, with exorbitant repair costs.
Philips expect a £200 inspection fee, with the first £500 to be paid by the customer; this was one example of a costly LCD failing after 18months.

If a forum member does opt for Philips be sure to take out additional warranty or buy from John Lewis (5yr guarantee). You can of course take your supplier to court within 6yrs of purchase to seek damages - for repair or replacement of the TV.

With Philips it's not a case of IF, but WHEN their product will fail!
:mad:

Philips latest Ambilight advertising featuring the Hulk on screen : this is what happens when a customer learns of the repair bill, when their Philips TV fails outside of warranty.
N.B. Philips have labelled their Ambilight TVs with Hulk on screen on their website. Now you know which screens will drive you mad when they fail!!!:rotfl:

42PF9731D/10 - This model doesn't feature ClearLCD, so SD will look worse than the 37PF9731 - if that's at all possible.
There are known bugs with the 9731 models : including artefacting caused by the processing engine, green line on top of frame when fed 1080i, pixellating and blocking on movement, dithering to overcome colour banding of 9830 series.

Speaking to main Philips agents in my area (now ex-Philips dealers), they warn of Philips bad reliability, with regard to LCD/Plasma TV longevity.
A high proportion of units have failed prematurely, with exorbitant repair costs.
Philips expect a £200 inspection fee, with the first £500 to be paid by the customer; this was one example of a costly LCD failing after 18months.

If a forum member does opt for Philips be sure to take out additional warranty or buy from John Lewis (5yr guarantee). You can of course take your supplier to court within 6yrs of purchase to seek damages - for repair or replacement of the TV.

With Philips it's not a case of IF, but WHEN their product will fail!
:mad:

Philips latest Ambilight advertising featuring the Hulk on screen : this is what happens when a customer learns of the repair bill, when their Philips TV fails outside of warranty.
N.B. Philips have labelled their Ambilight TVs with Hulk on screen on their website. Now you know which screens will drive you mad when they fail!!!:rotfl:

Quite a turn around StanleyNTL, considering you sent me several private messages about the 37PF9631 and came within an ace of buying one!

My personal experience of Philips reliabilty:

17 year old portable - Still going strong. Never a problem
7 year old 32 CRT - Cracking TV. 5 year guarantee, never required.
37PF9631 LCD - Excellent TV. Would buy again, although would consider the 37PF9731 now that's out.
As for Philps customer service, the only occassion I've had to contact them in 17 years, was when I couldn't upgrade the firmware on my 37PF9631 via the USB connection. Emailed them, received a reply within a few days. Turned out to be a duff USB key, nothing to do with the TV.

As for some of your other comments. The green line on the 9731 isn't a fault with the TV. Due to the 1-1 mapping, if the source is sending only 1079 lines of data, as the Sky box is doing, the top line of pixels will have no information to show and currently will display as a green line. See this link:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?page=8645&head=0

Artefacting - All LCD's have this to some degree
Dithering - I've actually seen this on CRT's. It appears to be an attribute of low quality compressed broadcasts. In any case, the issue is minimal and restricted to the aforementioned compressed signals, certainly on the 9631. Give it a decent signal and the picture is superb.

I'm not sure why some people on this forum have such a downer on Philips. Their comments simply don't match my own personal experiences. My experience of Hitachi's customer service for the 2 duff LCD's I had of theirs was pretty negative and I've seen similar comments about most manufacturers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom