1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 17PF9946

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by big ears, Jun 2, 2005.

1. big ears

big ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be interested if anybody could give me there views and thoughts on this LCD as I have read a few reviews and need to be convinced that it is going to be money well spent.

I have also been looking at Panasonic Models TX17LX2 (I believe Philips is better spec), and TX23LXD50 (Really too much money and as I already have Sky no need to have freeview).

I would like to know that if I purchase the Philips will it affect my other appliances (Panasonic DVD/Video Player, Panasonic Stereo) as I have always gone for the same supplier as I feel Panasonic are one of the better manufacturers of electrical appliances.

I await your responses as I am keen to purchase an LCD this week as I am on holiday.

2. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Big Ears,

The Philips 17PF9946 was reviewed in Which magazine, perhaps you have seen this already. Only the Sony had better marks but apparently some people have found the sound on the Sony not good and some have returned the Sony. If you haven't seen the Which review (I think it was March, April or May issue) you can find Which magazine in most Public Libraries.

I have a Philips CRT television and a Panasonic VCR and both work well together. I have had mainly Panasonic VCRs and different make televisions without any problems. I shall probably get a Panasonic DVD recorder too in the near future.
    I have always found Philips very reliable (my 36PW9618 is only just over a year old, hope I'm not speaking too soon!!!) but I have a very old Philips, bought second hand, in another room. This was a top of the range model, complete with two separate speakers. Another 15 year old Philips set I gave away, still working well but the picture had a blue cast. In my experience the very cheapest AV models of most manufacturers can be less reliable, but often it's just a matter of luck.

I was interested in getting the Philips myself and most reports seem to be favourable
    about this set. Some of our members have bought it but may not see your post to give you their views. I hope you're enjoying your holiday!

3. Bluestraw

Bluestraw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have this set - and am very pleased with it! I'm running a HQ RGB source, and it does look good!

4. big ears

big ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply cynthia.

I am going out tomorrow to look for the philips 17pf9946 tomorrow and will hopefully end up purchasing this unless something else takes my fancy (not going to happen).

5. big ears

big ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply Bluestraw.

Its nice to know you have one and that you feel it was money well spent.

6. mikey b

mikey b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before you buy your 9946, you might be interested to know the following...I phoned PRC-Direct on Wed 1 June to order one of these (I had decided against the 17PF9945). PRC Direct said they did not have any 9946s in stock and wouldn't be getting any more as it was to be superceded in 2 weeks time by a new model 17PF9966. I haven't been able to verify this. Anyone know if it's true? If so, the 9946 should be priced down in future.

7. big ears

big ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mikey. Really appreciate this advise. I nearly bought this today but still couldn't make my mind up but I am now going to investigate other models and sizes and see what I come up with.

8. mikey b

mikey b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey big ears, have you bought yet? I emailed Philips thmselves to ask about replacements for this model, and this is their "helpful" reply:)

"With regards to your query we can advise that there is no direct replacement for the 17PF9946.
    Philips as a company introduces new lines within a TV range from time to time.
    Specifications of a new line may be similar to an existing model.
    We trust that the information provided will be of assistance."

So I'm just going to go ahead and get mine, I can't wait for ever for something which may or may not be coming. I tried to order on Pixmania yesterday, but they warned me that the manual would be in French, so I'm going to buy on Amazon today, it's £25 dearer and you wait a week longer, but I would like the inx to be in English. Then I have to get a DVD and Freeview thingy. 3 more months of research!