Philips 17PF9946 HDTV Ready?

bodhi

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I've been hunting around for a decent 15-17" screen for my bedroom. I've found loads of circa £200 units that look ok but i'm concerned that i'll be dissappointed with the picture quality. From what I can tell, the Philips 17PF9946 is a pretty good screen, and it's currently going for sub £300 which isn't too bad. However, I like to know exactly what i'm buying and i'm a little confused about the spec.

Apparently it's HDTV ready (Amazon, Dealtime etc. all say so), but although it does say on Philips' web site that it is a "High Definition LDC WXGA display", there appears to be no HDMI input, which leaves me wondering exactly how you could get a Hi Def signal into it without connecting it to a PC?

Can anybody possibly explain what the deal is with this?

Cheers,
Ben.

Hi bodhi,

Jimmy is right, unfortunately. I, too, looked at the spec on Amazon and it leads one to believe that it is HDTV. The American model is, and somewhere I saw a photograph of the rear of the American model, totally different to the UK version.

One of our members tried to order this tv a week or so ago and was told by the online supplier that they had no existing stock and wouldn't be receiving further supplies as it was to be superseded by a new model the 17PF9966. No one can find any information about this yet. Could this possibly be HDTV ready? It might be worth waiting for the new model just in case.

There is no such model as the 17PF9966. I bought my 17PF9946 last December as I was led to believe from the advertising from Philips that it was HDTV ready.

With the manual came a circuit diagram that shows a DMI and DVI connection on the main PCB, I will wait until the warranty expires and get a tv technician to solder the various connectors. On the setup screen there is an HDTV Setup option which is ghosted out

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom