1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 17PF9946 and Prog Scan / Hi-Def

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by GJD, Apr 8, 2005.

1. GJD

GJD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm considering the above LCD for the kitchen but could see myself hanging a DVD player off it at some point. The blurb suggests it has Hi-Def / Prog-Scan capabilities but it only seems to have RGB SCART, S-Video and VGA inputs. Can anyone clarify? Is there a component input or is any Hi-Def or Prog Scan not possible (or via the VGA input?)?

2. Cynthia 7

Cynthia 7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi GJD.

After reading this month's Which magazine which gave a good write up for the Philips, I also thought to get one for the kitchen to replace an ancient 14" portable.

I looked at the Amazon site (their price isn't the best). A consumer review given there gives the Amazon.com description also, which is a bit confusing as it is HD compatible in the States. I researched this and saw something on the digital spy forum where this was discussed and I now cannot find this. Apparently the panel resolution is suitable for high definition but there is no high definition tuner in the U.K. model. They said high definition is capable through the VGA inputs but only for computers. The general consensus in the end was that it was not Hi-Def capable. Also Sky are demanding HDCP connections to receive high definition from Sky, but you are probably only interested in it for Hi-def DVDs. Maybe it would work with DVDs.

I jotted down a paragraph from "jon2099" (maybe on this forum or digital spy) . He said a few of them like the Philips 170T4FS and LG21WT72 accept HD via component but as far as he knows only Samsung 730MW has DVI-HDCP and would be allowed to use the HD ready label. The 170T4FS has a worse response time of 25 minutes compared to the 17PF9946 and somewhere I read that only LCD's with a response time of 16 minutes should be considered.

Like you, I am really none the wiser but am still tempted to get this tv just for watching.

3. peahead

peahead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    the samsung 17"730mw was on qvc the shopping channel tonight looked very nice and they even showed you all the connections on the back and he said it was ready for sky hd.

4. GJD

GJD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Many thanks for that. I actually already have a 170TFS which I use for my PC, X-Box (soft mod for Hi-Def..works fine) and prog scan dvd. All are via a single 15 pin VGA input (it comes with a component to 15 pin cable). Not a bad set but as you say I don't think the refresh rate is the best. It has no SCART inputs or teletext too which is a pain. £349.99 at PC world if you're interested!

5. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    You will need a HDMI or DVI-HDCP input if you want to watch HD transmissions from SKY and also need it if you want to plug in a HD-DVD when available. This is the new "Scart" for the future. Depends how long you want to keep it and wether you need it on this set.