1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 17PF9945 - recommended setup

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by Getgaff, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Getgaff

Getgaff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    It's never been one of my strongest points, but could anyone point me in the right direction of picture & sound set-up for my Philips 17PF9945? Although it can be subjective, I'll end up faffing around for hours trying to get the 'perfect' picture & sound.

Any guidance would be most welcome.

TIA,
    Gareth.

2. tartan_guru

tartan_guru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Gareth,

Can't help you with the sound settings I'm affraid as I use my 17PF445 through my AV system, but I may be of some help with the video.

I'm at work at the moment, so I can only give you some hints, but I will take a look at my own settings when I get home. I use RGB feeds from a Freeview box and Tivo- if you're using the internal tuner then I imagine that the settings would be similar except you may want to use more contrast than I do. Off of the top of my head, these are the settings that I use (obviously your tastes may be different)

1. Make sure that 'Active control' is turned off as it causes more problems than it solves. It applies alot of filtering which helps clear up a duff analogue signal, but can wreck a clean digital feed by causesing alot of smearing.

2. Avoid the using presets. 'Natural' is far to dark and lacks contrast, 'soft' is even worse. 'Multimedia' is very constrasty but has the sharpness cranked right up, and 'Warm' is similar but also has the colour cranked up as well.

3. Use the 'Multimedia' setting as a starting point. Firstly turn the sharpness down. Unlike CRT's where I would turn the sharpness off, this screen seems to soften the image at lower settings, '2' seems to be the neutral setting which I settled on.

4. Set the contrast to arround 85%. This is quite high, but because of LCDs low contrast range it is necessary. It was the best compromise I could find between contrast and and over saturating the whites in the picture.

5. Set the brightness to arround 50%. Any higher than this and the dark areas of the picture start to become visably grey.

6. 'Contrast plus' (or some thing like this). This is supposed to boost contrast range but I thought that it just made the picture look un-natural and turned it off. I think it's a personal choice.

Hope that these are of some help. Remember to store the settings when you're done, and that these settings are based upon my eyes and not yours!!

Regards

Ross

3. Getgaff

Getgaff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Many thanks Ross, that gives me a great starting point.

Regards,
    Gareth.

4. tartan_guru

tartan_guru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Gareth,

Here are the exact settings I use:-

Brightness 56
    Colour 50
    Contrast 81
    Sharpness 2
    Colour Temp 'Cool'
    Contrast + 'Off'

I like my TV pictures to look 'film like" hence the low brightness and the 'cool' colour temp which is slightly more blue than normal for a TV. This is purely my personal taste, but I think it works well with the progressive scan of the display and can make images look quite cinematic.

5. Getgaff

Getgaff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Thanks again Ross, I'll give those a go at the weekend and see what I get.

[​IMG]