1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 170TFS.. First Impressions and a query..

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by GJD, Nov 22, 2004.

1. GJD

GJD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Folks

Made an impulse purchase in (yuck) PC World yesterday of the above 17" Widescreen LCD TV/PC Monitor. Paid £350 as they had an offer on. Usual price is £399 I believe.

The set is HDTV ready with various prog scan modes available.. Yet to try this as I need to get me a prog scan DVD player (any cheap PAL/NTSC prog scan recommendations?). It has a DVI/Component input (currently hooked up to my laptop), plus s-video and AV inputs.

PC picture quality is nice and sharp. (PAL, unmodded) XBOX is a bit flaky but I've only used the AV input for this so far. Bearing in mind there's no SCART inputs (only downside with the screen I can see so far) , am I better getting an XBOX S-VIDEO lead (which one?) or an XBOX component lead and some sort of component input switch to share the single DVI/component input with a DVD player and my laptop? If so any kit recommendations here would be welcome.

Whilst I've not seen all it has to offer yet, for £350 (or £399 as it normally is) I think the set looks good value for money. Comes with a remote and a stand which flips up to be wall-mountable too.