1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips - 100hz Vs Crystal Clear 3 50hz

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Adrian Hughes, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Adrian Hughes

Adrian Hughes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi all,

Well I have had problems trying to buy the pixel plus 2 32" philips off currys / dixons site and I went to comet the other day and i saw the philips 28PW6720D/05 and it was £349 and its got everything i wanted really apart from 100hz. I spoke to philips and they said they are pushing the Crystal clear 3 more rather than making the sets 100hz.

Now I have a 5 year old philips and the flicker is obvious on certain channels etc.....

Am i correct it believing that the 28PW6720D/05 with the crystal clear 3 screen and the other modern things thrown in, does it have a better pic than a standard 50hz set?. Has anyone had use of this set?

I really like it compared to the new JVC / Panny set at 100hz. I have always been a philips fan...and there sets have never ever let me down.

I did want LCD - but after seeing xbox and sky on some of them, i think its best to get a CRT for now, and see what happens in 2-3 years time with LCD and HD.

Adrian Hughes

2. Hitchcock

Hitchcock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just stay away from Pixel Plus (especially Pixel Plus 2!). It's just digital processing over and over again, and it won't deliver anything better (peoples faces appear melted); it's ARTIFICIAL!

50 Hz are very plain TV sets (or at least should be), they don't suffer from any digital artefacts (no murderous digital processing). You do like watching football, don't you?.

If you must have 100 Hz, check out the Loewe ones. They are by far the best I've seen so far, and they offer a 5 year guarantee.

I've looked at Sony, Philips, Thomson, Panasonic, Samsung, Toshiba, none were particularly good at 100 Hz (except maybe Thomson). 100 Hz also suffer (potentially) from high buzzing noises, especially with bright objects and menus on the screen (that's why I had to return the 32" Thomson I had once.)

Also, nothing beats CRT technology (at least not yet) when it comes to PQ, PERIOD! (I hope this post doesn't land me in trouble. :D )

3. Adrian Hughes

Adrian Hughes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    going to have a look at the set monday after work, Also the store recommended a panasonic set, the new one with 100hz on. I will have a look.

Anyone got a TV with the crystal clear 3 on ?...is there any of the flicker you get on standard 50hz screens?

Ade

4. azzy129

azzy129

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :lesson:
    Hey Hey Hitchcock, I'm a big fan of PP2, you can't knock it without fully appreciating it (read my post's on other thread re. 32pw9570). To enjoy pixel plus you have to fine tune the picture settings. There are atleast 25 combinations to play about with until you get it right. I find that depending on the type of media you are playing, switching between personal/natural/soft options give you a more pleasing picture. PP2 is a unique picture enhancement which gives the image an impression of depth. People who are not used to it because they are more used to seeing a dull picture on a regular 50/100 hz CRT set would call it artificial and un-impressed by this wonderful picture quality.
    Adrian... watch a demo of a philips set with pp2 set up correctly then make your own mind up. John Lewis usually have a lcd/plasma/crt set up on PP2 demo.

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Digital Crystal Clear is a package of active picture processing i.e. it 'reads' the picture and applies some digital image enhancement appropriate to the picture content - dark scenes processed differently from daylight scenes, cartoons processed differently from real life etc.

Digital Crystal Clear is seperate to 100Hz or Pixel Plus. A 50Hz set with Digital Crystal Clear is still a 50Hz set. If you want 100Hz then you'll need to buy a 100Hz set. The 28PW6720D is a 50Hz set with a Freeview Digital Tuner.

Regards

6. Hitchcock

Hitchcock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, Azzy. I have seen it, and my mind is dead set against 100 Hz — except for the Loewe ones. Yes, I know the Pixel Plus 2 does some nice tricks, but it just doesn't look natural to me. The objective should be to make the picture look as identical to the original broadcast as possible, but sadly PP2 seems to do the opposite. It's like watching a 3D game on a computer, the characters all have unnatural CGI-like motion and people's faces look plastered. :thumbsdow

If you can, please have a look at the Loewe CRT sets. Of all the TV manufacturers, they seem to be the only ones who've got it right with the 100 Hz, it's very hard to notice any smear or digital artifacts (I myself could see none), perfect lip sync, excellent colour depth and balance, and all in all just a very clear and bright natural-looking picture. :smashin: