1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phil Spectre’s Christmas Album Question.

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Garrett, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    The track on this album although are familiar Christmas song, the tunes are mixed with the well known and tunes he recorded with artist (or so I was told, in fact once spoted a couple some years back) i.e. Crystals-Da Doo Ron Ron, Ronnettes-Be My Baby and Baby I Love You , Darleen Love-Why Do Lovers Break Each Other's Hearts? etc does any know what actual Phil Spectre’s tunes are mixed with the original tune.

2. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Garrett

Going on memeory, but I could be wrong, PS used the artists latest hits at the time. I have the 70's re-issue on Apple with PS dressed as Santa :thumbsup:

3. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ehhhhh? :confused:

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,355
    That’s the one I have, it has a blue border round it.

I have just been here and played Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer - Crystals and I think I can spot “Then He Kissed Me” in the backing.

5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    To echo Gorshin - Ehhhhh? :confused:

With the exception of one track Darlene Love's "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)". There are no original Phil Spector "tunes" on the album.

The arrangements however are in his patented "Wall of Sound" style, performed by The Wrecking Crew (the team of LA session musicians employed on most of his sessions of the era). You may hear orchestral arrangements similar to "Then He Kissed Me" in there, but then you'll hear them in almost any other dozen or so Spector productions. You certainly won't hear the "tune" of the song however.

None of the tracks "re-use" any of the artists' backing tracks of the time. They were recorded specifically for this album. Indeed the opposite applies, in that the aforementioned "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)", was re-used a year later with non-seasonal lyrics and released as "Johnny (Baby Please Come Home)", again by Darlene Love.