1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phew... it's getting hot in here

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by terrythecat, Aug 3, 2002.

1. terrythecat

terrythecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi
    Anyone out there with any knowledge of small air conditioning units. My Home Cineama room is a converted single garage with only the one door in 'n out and it's been getting TOO hot lately, so I think I will have to invest in a small wall mounted unit not costing too much. I would be pleased to hear from anyone with any information on such units.

Cheers

Terry

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I think Wickes or B&Q do a small stand-alone type air con unit, but I can't see how the condenser outlet is done.

Was thinking about one myself - my loft gets a bit warm in summer, so I might invest in something..

Gary.

3. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115

4. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Anyone know

1. How noisy
    2. How expensive

These units are?

5. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I know nothing at all about aircon, but Hitachi are used in our work place, take a look here

6. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    You'll have to make sure the unit you get can do the area you want it for, otherwise it becomes just a dehumidifyer...

7. terrythecat

terrythecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Gary, the only one in my local B&Q is rather large and would take up too much room, whereas....

Tim, the Hitachi wall units look ideal; I'll have to look around to see how much they are.

PS. Are you using a tuner card for your digital TV broadcasts? I'm thinking of adding one to my HCPC but am not sure which one to go for.

Terry

8. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hi Terry

Yes, I am using the Pinnacle Rave tv card from here only £28 now, there are better but its pretty good for the price, you will also need Dscaler to get the best from it.
    I have my Sky box connected via s-video into the tv card, I use Dscaler to clean the picture up and powerstrip to set the resolution to match my projector.

9. terrythecat

terrythecat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Tim

It seems my postcode isn't on the list of areas able to receive digital broadcasts. I will have to speak to a local aerial installer for advice on that one. If they say it's OK then I'll give the Pinnacle a go.

Cheers

Terry

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I'm using the PCTV Rave too, and is fine for the job.

A little noise is visible in the picture, but it varies from card to card.

I've heard of people putting foil in envelopes to shieled the card and reduce noise, so if you get a noisy card, you could always try that.

Forgot to add - they sandwich the card in the envelopes to shield it. Just putting foil in enevelopes sounds like some Voodoo magic trick... :p

Gary.

11. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I tried the foil sandwich trick, it didn't make any differance to mine, but after followimg the advice from Kramer, I earthed my digi box casing, this seems to have a helped quite considerably.

Terry, if you can get Ch5 you should be ok for digital broadcast, when I first got Ondigital a couple of years ago they checked my post code and said I would only get half the channels, they were wrong I got them all, I did get some picture breakup but after a while my local transmitter had a power upgrade and the breakup stopped. I am using sky for now, but if the BBC up the bitrate for terestrial digital, I may convert back, last time I tried out ch5 on my terestrial digital box the picture looked dreadful like it was using really low bitrate, strange as there should be plenty to go around now as there are a lot less channels.