PHEV : Is an off-peak tariff worthwhile for charging?

Spiderpig

Distinguished Member
I've been looking around for gas/electric deals so I'm fairly sure I can save by switching from Bulb. However, since I now have a PHEV, I've been thinking about whether it's worth specifically looking for a deal with off-peak usage.

I've not been offered any on price comparison sites, so I'm wondering whether the an off-peak tariff will be cheaper overall than a "normal" tariff.

Has anyone else looked into this?

password1

Distinguished Member
I charge the laptop, batteries, phone, set the timer on the washing machine to turn on during off peak. I sometimes go to sleep late or wake up early. Try to boil water early in the morning before the expensive rate.

So the answer is it depends how much you use during peak and off peak?

Spiderpig

Distinguished Member
I don't have an off-peak tariff as of now. I'm just asking whether the savings for getting an off-peak tariff is cheaper than a standard tariff in real-world terms and having an PHEV.

For example, I have a comparison quote for Utility Point with a charge of 14.9p/kWh and an off-peak (Eco 7) cost for Octopus of 19.3p/kWh (daytime) and 10.7p/kWh (night time).

Splitting the difference gives me 15p/kWh, but the majority of my usage will be in the daytime.

My man-maths seems to indicate that the off-peak tariff will be more expensive for me than a price-compared deal.

password1

Distinguished Member
If the expensive rate is almost double the price then it means you'd need to use more than double the amount of electricity during the off peak time to make it worth it.

It will depends if you can change habits, charge everything that needs charging during off peak hours (in a biscuit tin). Set timers on items, slow cooker, washing machine, dish washer, etc. to wash at night.

For us, its worth it. Boil the water every morning just before the expensive rate starts.Fill a flask with boiling water.

When we need to defrost/clear the freezer, do it in the daytime.

It depends how much the PHEV would be using?

Spiderpig

Distinguished Member
The Volvo's battery is 11kWh and costs about £1.32 to fully charge at 14.5p/kWh

password1

Distinguished Member
I would say it's worth it if you can change habit ,charge everything that needs charging every night, not just the car, during off peak times. Assuming you're not a heavy peak time user.

Best to get your last few bills out to see how much exactly you used.

IronGiant

Check out the Octopus go tariff, it doesn't bump up the day time rate but gives you 4 hrs overnight very cheap. More than enough to charge an 11kW battery.

Spiderpig

Distinguished Member
Perfect. This gives me 4 hours of off-peak at 5p/kWh. The only downside is having separate plans ( and potentially suppliers) for gas and leccy but this may save money as well.

IronGiant

I have gas with them too, if that's what you mean.

Spiderpig

Distinguished Member
Yeah. I just mean it won't be a combined gas and leccy tariff.

Looks like I'll be going ahead with Octopus, unless there's any very compelling offers from any other supplier.

interbear

Yeah. I just mean it won't be a combined gas and leccy tariff.

Looks like I'll be going ahead with Octopus, unless there's any very compelling offers from any other supplier.

When I bought my EV I went with Octopus Go, which for me is approx 15p peak and 5p off-peak (between 00:30 and 04:30am) - works well for me, schedule the car to charge during those hours, dishwasher etc. Overall I'm paying less per month on power via Octopus than I was previously, with the added bonus of zero diesel costs.

Overall, I'd recommend Octopus, been a decent experience, you need a smart meter though.

If you want to go for it and want a referral link that gets you £50 credit, just PM me and I will oblige, I assume you may have that lined up already :)

Worth also looking at EDF's EV tariff, as that has longer off-peak hours, might suit your use case better.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom