Phenomenal HEROES news!

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

This was on Ceefax a couple of days ago, and I kept meaning to post about it, but forgot to. Anyway...

NBC/Universal and the BBC have done a deal. The BBC have negotiated a sealed financial deal, that means that all future TV or film material produced for the "Heroes" franchise (including spin-off shows, and documentaries, etc) will be offered to them, first, before any other UK channel (terrestrial or digital, satellite or cable)! :clap: In other words, they get first refusal, before the likes of Sky or Virgin. :smashin: As the deal is sealed, the BBC are not allowed to reveal how much the deal is worth, but insiders say that the value is around 7-figures minimum! :eek:

This will remain for at least the next three Seasons, if that many episodes are produced, and will also include being able to air all these in Hi-Def on BBC HD!

BBC2 already has the rights to air Season 2 straight-after the end of Season 1, and the "Heroes: Origins" mini-series as well. BBC2 is expected to air Season 2, starting in January 2008! :clap:

Pooch

It's good that broadcasters are looking to hold onto programmes they have got people hooked on, rather than letting sky blackmail viewers by buying them all up.

But I just don't get Heroes. I've watched so far waiting for something to happen which will justify its hallowed status. But if it doesn't pick up soon, I'll be saying goodbye to it anyway, and then would rather the Beeb put the money into something else.

They can't win, can they?

yes, I read that also, and its fantastic news. I dont pay into the SKY cash cow, so :thumbsup: from me.

Mind you, I will want to watch it before it airs in the UK ahem :devil:

Of course the deal (which as license fee payers we should be allowed to know the details of) doesn't mean the BBC will be showing the third season only that they get first dibs at the pre-arranged price.
Given that the BBC are rumoured to be paying £450,00 an ep for the second season exclusive rights (commercial tv sell on will recoup some cash) it's obvious a 7 figure deal is required for a full season if not 8 figured:)

Given that LOST and DH hovered around the £750,000 per ep mark and PB around half a million you have to wonder at a time when the BBC are claiming to be starved of cash how much they have agreed to pay if they want the third season even assuming viewing figures are maintained which based on recent BARB figures which show as with most shows the intital loss of around half the viewers.
That said with BBC2 and BBC3 combined (no idea about BBC HD) the show is still a strong performer, damn shame it wasn't given primetime on BBC1 which would have automatically generated another million or so viewers perhaps more.

Sounds good. BBC really need to make it Primetime on BBC1 though and just keep pushing the show

Sounds good. BBC really need to make it Primetime on BBC1 though and just keep pushing the show

Agreed, how much Eastenders can 450K make? and that's advertised all the bleeding time, adverts for heroes? Um I'm looking ah there's none!

Liam

Agreed, how much Eastenders can 450K make? and that's advertised all the bleeding time, adverts for heroes? Um I'm looking ah there's none!

Liam

Six eps based on existing studio/infrastructure and contract budgets already having been allocated, or so I read:)

Soaps are cheap because once they are up and running the facilities are in almost continuous use and while by "normal" standards soap actors are well paid by TV and certainly movie standards they are fairly low down the ladder.

I understand why the people that run the BBC put Heroes on BBC2 and why boosting BBC3 ratings was important to them plus of course BBC HD. However Heroes could have been a really winner for BBC1 if they had put the effort into it or at least consider a US show could do the business for them at a time the BBC really can not sit back on it's collective backsides.

Seems most cult shows air first on BBC2. I remember (I may be wrong though) that when the X-Files first aired it was given the slot on BBC2, then switched to BBC1 after a season or so when the ratings went through the roof.

I really do not understand why this is on BBC2 though, as given the hype and popularity stateside, it is pretty obvious to all and sundry that this is the best series the Beeb have got their hands on in donkeys years.

why are people complaining about it being on BBC2 :confused:

- a much better home, than being sandwiched in much of the chav crap on peak time BBC1
Indeed, Heroes is perfect programming for BBC 2. Suits it down to a T.

why are people complaining about it being on BBC2 :confused:

- a much better home, than being sandwiched in much of the chav crap on peak time BBC1

not so much a complaint from me, but I think that whoever does the scheduling for the Beeb, does miss out on maximising viewing figures, as the majority of people dont usually switch on to BBC2. And with a series like this, you really would find it hard to play catch up.
agree about the chav crap though :rotfl:

HI,

"The X-Files" started on BBC2 on Monday nights at 9pm, before moving to BBC1 from about Season 5 or 6 onwards, if my memory serves. But whilst it was on BBC2, its viewing figures (whilst never superb) were always nice-and-steady, at about 2-3 million. After moving to BBC1, figures increased by around 1-1.5 million more, but then the show was constantly shunted around the schedule, and hence, it rapidly haemorraged (sp?) viewers.

I would rather that "Heroes" remained on BBC2 in a regular slot, with a steady number of viewers, than be moved to BBC1, simply to gain a few more viewers, but then have the show being moved all over the place for sports, live events, news disasters, etc, etc.

Personally, I don't see why viewers shouldn't watch "Heroes" on BBC2 anyway, as it's simply another channel. It's hardly that much different to BBC1, except in terms of its output. It's not like watching a show on Channel 4, before moving it to More4.

Anyhow, I'm glad most of you are glad of the news. For those of you who are still unsure about the show, stick with it. The rewards will more than justify your patience, in the long term, I promise! :)

Pooch

... as the majority of people dont usually switch on to BBC2. And with a series like this, you really would find it hard to play catch up.
I'm of the view that that sizeable demographic who are narrow minded enough not to switch on to BBC2, don't really deserve to watch it anyway ;)

... its kind of like the view Ricky Gervais takes about his shows, he wants them on BBC2 so it reaches the type of viewer he feels his work deserves, rather than messed about with and sanitised for BBC1 like his fictional comedy within a comedy 'When The Whistle Blows' with the catchphrase 'Are you 'aving a laugh?! Is he 'aving a Laugh?!'. It may be an arrogant/elitist attitude, but so what .... nobody is actually banned from switching on BBC2 are they? :D

I'm happy enough with it not being megasuperhuge here, and kids not pretending to be Sylar or Hiro in the playground, and all the tabloids jumping on the bandwagon (which they probably already are), like they do with Dr Who. I also feel that the current promotional tour of the show's stars is a bit over the top and demeaning.

Anyhow, I'm glad most of you are glad of the news. For those of you who are still unsure about the show, stick with it. The rewards will more than justify your patience, in the long term, I promise! :)

Pooch

I'll second that. The show gets better and better as it goes on.

I'm happy enough with it not being megasuperhuge here, and kids not pretending to be Sylar or Hiro in the playground, and all the tabloids jumping on the bandwagon .

mini Sylar's in the playground. not a nice thought :rotfl:

Brilliant news, I guess BBC had no choice really if they wanted a credible launch of their HD Channel proper

I think the argument whether its on BBC 1 or BBC 2 is not as relevant as it would have been say 10 years ago. We are in a multi-channel age, and gone is the old era of switching on at 6pm, and sticking on just one or two channels. Remember as well that BBC 2 has had some of the highest audience figures of the year...like between 6 million to over 8 million(for the Hammond crash) for Top Gear on a Sunday night.
The important point is treatment, and the show is being treated with respect at prime time on BBC 2, with late evening repeats, and preview episodes on BBC 3. Also there is HD transmission and spin-off shows to come. The BBC has laid its neck on the block with this, and they should be applauded. Compare that to shows in the past like Buffy, Star Trek, etc, and the way they appeared(but almost in a different non-digital era).
To get maximum value out of the investment, the BBC really need to follow on with series 2 in January.....or else the downloaders and spoilers will rule the roost! Also if NBC are going to be trying out new characters in some specials in May/June with viewers getting involved in some interactive voting, the BBC might want to get its viewers involved. That possibility has been mentioned by the BBC 2 boss, Roly Keating.
Starburst is right that the BBC have first look and first bid priority. They could if the prices go too high, pass on the deal. C4 did that with Lost(to keep Desperate Housewives and to take a gamble on Ugly Betty which paid off), and Five did that with Prison Break(preferring to use their money to keep House out of other hands, and of course securing Neighbours).

I'm happy for for Heroes to stay on BBC2 but they need to not make any cuts to the episodes and ADVERTISE.

I never see any adverts on the BBC channels for heroes on wednesday nights, Why not?:confused:

ADVERTISE ADVERTISE ADVERTISE ADVERTISE

Hi Lee.... have not noticed any cuts..compared to my viewing earlier this year on the Sci-Fi channel, though I"m watching a late evening HD transmission.

It may be me but i'm sure they did cut a bit from the 1st couple of episodes compared to the US NBC HD version i saw.

Again i may be wrong

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom