1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHD8 & VGA

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Demonio, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Demonio

Demonio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all! I'm (kinda) new here, but I've been reading on this great forum for months! :)

I'm gonna purchase the Panasonic PHD8 Plasma soon although I'm not gonna buy any input boards, hdmi, dvi etc at this moment, as I cannot afford a DVD player (at least not the one I want) at the same time anyways. Also I will not buy a Scaler at this moment either because I'll rather wait to buy a good one than buying a crappy cheap one now. So..
    My question is: (The Cheap Solution :p)
    Via. the VGA board that is installed on the screen to start with. Can I stream DVD movies from e.g. my Laptop to my Plasma and use it as a sort of scaler by setting resolution to 1024x768. Will this work out or do I need some special grafic card to output via. the VGA cable? (laptop has radeon 9700pro)

I was told this was possible (without any specific card) on a forum and I'd just like some of you experienced guys to confirm that it'll work out (before I go ahead and order!) :D

Thanx a bunch! :)
    /David

2. mine

mine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    with ease - just connect a good vga cable

one caveat: the graphicchips of laptops are normally simple versions of the desktop
    chips and not very powerfull
    you will be able to get satisfying reproduction of DVDs - though HD material is out of reach and advanced tools like powerstrip to get 50 Hz and judderfree motion are not supported.

best
    mine