PHD8 Problems Poll

Problems with your PHD8?

• Total voters

tjradiohead

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just thought this might be useful for prospective buyers like myself, as there seems to be many problems arising, but this might not be proportionate.

So lets find out!

I voted for buzzing on my PHD8, I think it's this rather than fan noise which I can hear. Saying that, a cautionary tone should be sounded as to the extent of this. It was noticeable in the first days when I was being (perhaps over) critical but then I can also hear the disk motor on my DVD player... There is a possibility that I have a panel which emits a normal noise level but that I am particularly sensitive to noises at this frequency. On this basis I have decided (as at the time of writing) to keep the screen.

I hadn't noticed any issues with contrast levels or with the picture generally until someone else pointed out a problem while watching Sin City. Since then I think I may have noticed some changes of contrast and/or flickers in the black bars when watching a 1.35:1 film. Certainly these are not significant enough to detract from the overall experience.

EDIT: just to emphasise the fact that while the buzz was initially a concern and I might have noticed a minor flicker, I am immensely pleased with the picture and screen overall (and the service and help of AV Sales)

im over the moon with my PHD8, there is a slight fan noise, but it cannot be heard unless the room is otherwise silent. never seen the contrast changes , so i cant comment on it :D

i can and will recommend this screen to everyone

i voted for no problem, although I have now noticed the contrast flicker on a few occasions it certainly doesn't bother me

I have just recently got a 42PHD8 and yes I have noticed the humming and the contrast change but neither of them are anywhere near bad enough to not be 100% happy with the panel. Its not just me either as several of my friends have seen it now and all of them have been very impressed with it.

I honestly couldn't see how anyone would be unhappy with my panel so I think that some panels are just better than others and its just unlucky if you get one where these issues are more exaggerated.

I'd be happy to demonstrate to anyone in the Milton Keynes area.

blackeyepurple said:
There is plenty of people who have noticed the contrast change problems this unit suffers from here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=589859&page=1&pp=30

Have you tried what the suggested at the bottom of page one on that thread? any good results? sounds like it may just be an issue of tweaking the settings?

Piers, if you are watching.... have you seen this on your ISF'd screen?

It doesn't matter what you adjust it still does it in the same places on the same dvd's.

Just read the threads on AVS - interesting stuff. Yes, I have seen a brightness / contrast change when calling up the menu and no I can't see any change taking place when viewing DVD, standard def or high def TV.

I've sen this kind of effect in LCD's with modulated backlights, and projectors with irises.

I'm guessing this is bound to the 8.6 billion colour thing. Panasonic may be increasing dark colour resolution by dropping the bias on the screen. For the whole screen.

It should be obvious on mostly dark, with highlight pictures, the peaks should drop a bit. Sin City sounds like a biggie. Also cartoons with contouring should show a noticeable shift.

I'm surprised this isn't adjustable, or defeatable.

blackeyepurple said:
It doesn't matter what you adjust it still does it in the same places on the same dvd's.

Could you give me some examples so I can have a look for myself. Would be good to be able to see the same scenes that you're getting it on. Love the screen but I'm just curious to see if mine is as bad as the ones you've had as well.

BeelzebubUK said:
Could you give me some examples so I can have a look for myself. Would be good to be able to see the same scenes that you're getting it on. Love the screen but I'm just curious to see if mine is as bad as the ones you've had as well.

You get it on most stuff if you watch long enough....Sin City does it loads....The Incredibles most noticable at 45mins in when Mr Incredible reverses his black sports car out of the garage (the bonnet on the car goes from black to dark grey) Chris at AVSales demo did it.....my first one did it and this one does it....all at the same point with the same material. Its like the set detects a screen level of contrast of a certain level and it bumps the contrast. If you set the screen wipe saver on you can see it adjust the black screens contrast twice as the bar goes off the screen.

Had a few stuck pixels on mine.
watching tv or dvds they are impossible to see (even from half a foot away!)

The only way I saw them was by hooking up the PC on the VGA and playing a full screen video file of an alternating r/g/b image and pausing to see a complete screen of each individual colour.

The only colour that was out was blue and only on around 3 pixels.
So its only a third of the pixel and as I say - you can't notice it without being inches away and with the solid blue image.

I can be a fussy bugg£r but this is something I can definatly live with.

NO noisy fan
NO noisy plasma buzz (unless you are less than a foot away in a silent room)
NO colour change (that i've noticed so far)

An absolute fantastic picture - Was set on the 436 or the PV500 but after seeing this the PHD8 was the only screen for me :thumbsup:

Fortunately this one has no stuck pixels (can't stand them) but the first screen had 2 dead blue ones that were quite noticable on a light blue screen....noticed them on Ice Age. You pay for every pixel so they should all function regardless of what Panasonic might say to get out of it in the manual.

Hmm.. interesting.

can someone do a PV500 poll?

*runs for cover*

Noticed a more perceptible 'buzz' when the screen is displaying a lot of white, this evening. My cheap old CRT had this, bit disappointed that £2K of 'state of the art' plasma panel also does it.

Has anyone else found this buzzing with lots of white onscreen?

I think all pasma's do this if they have an audable buzz....after all white is using all the pixels flat out. You can really hear it on ice age.

This is just a quick post to try and stop this thread from drifting off into yet another "rip off britain" threads....

There are already plenty of those.

Eh? Don't understand the post above, no one's talking about being ripped off :confused:

Anyway, I voted that I've got no problems. I can hear the fan on startup and buzz only when I mute the amp. Certainly don't notice it when watching tele with any sort of sound level. As others have said, I don't think this panel is any different to other panels and other technologies in terms of buzzing especially when there's a lot of white on screen. My old Sony CRT used to do that too.

Not seen that one, Swa. I'd understood that the PV500 had two processors, one for each half of the screen, which caused the appearance of a line where the two halves met. By contrast (pardon the pun) I thought the PHD8 only had 1 processor for the whole screen area.

Don't tell me you've had this one! :rolleyes:

Sparky101 said:
Eh? Don't understand the post above, no one's talking about being ripped off :confused:

I posted something - now deleted - apologies to all!

Gussie :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom