1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHD8 over HDMI

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by blackeyepurple, Oct 18, 2005.

1. blackeyepurple

blackeyepurple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a bit dissapointed about the amount of picture noise (fuzz) I get over HDMI from my Samsung HD950 (I know not really a fitting DVD player for the screen). Last night I connected the player with a good quality scart and the picture noise just disapeared. Surely the HDMI should be at least as good as scart? remember giz posting a while back about the poor quality of picture on Pannys using digital connections. I have a component to 15 pin mini d-sub cable that will go in the PC input and have set the screen to component for this input but nothing displays. Am I being totaly thick or is it a PC only input and I need to buy the component box for the screen? Thanks for any help.

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    no, it takes component. Did you set the dvd back to component output after trying the scart?

3. dgc

dgc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    It should work ok. I currently have component fed into the 15 pin input from my amp ( until the lumagen arrives - cheers Joe :smashin: ).

When I first connected it up the input was set to RGB and the picture was there still but without colour. Switched it to component in the menu and all was well.

Is your source definately outputting component?
    Is the cable wired correctly? - I mean is it definately component to 15 pin.

4. blackeyepurple

blackeyepurple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the cable in use for component on a Tosh LCD (purchased for this in the first place) so I know the cable is goo. Went into the Sammys menu and set it to component (display also show this is progressive) and set the PC port on the Panny to component....still no picture. Gonna try a Cambridge Audio DVD with component tonight to rule out the player. It is a little strange though.

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Ah, my mate has an HD950 and he says that the HDMI is awful, full of noise and just not very good.

6. tjradiohead

tjradiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    What panel is that on?

7. blackeyepurple

blackeyepurple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well just wired up a Cambridge Audio DVD55 over component and WOW....this is the picture I expected when I got the PHD8! There is so much more detail and hardly any picture noise. It really is night and day compared to the Samsung. I hope the HDMI conector box is good for HD-DVD/Blue Ray or its been a complete waste of time and money getting this far with an HD Ready screen. One question (Giz you'll probably know this) why does the DVD55 player give a better picture when interlaced and worse when progressive? Fast motion becomes distorted on progressive but is perfect on interlaced. Is it that the panel changes the signal from interlaced to progressive? and is therefore processing the signal twice when the player is set to progressive. The LCD's I had before had a large improvement with a progressive signal from this same player with the same cable so i'm a little confused. Cheers.

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    it's probably just that the panel does the job of deinterlacing better than the DVD.

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    He is using it on a Panasonic and on a Samsung, his trusty old Philips 963 is back on the main screen, again he bought the 950 for the hdmi upgrade! :rolleyes:

What deinterlacer does the DV55 use?
    Probably just a case of it is not as good as the deinterlacer in the Panny screen simple as that.

10. blackeyepurple

blackeyepurple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help Giz/MEP.....good to know you guys are there with some answers :thumbsup: I have noticed although the picture is way better than the Samsung the DVD55 does give hairs/lines a staged effect that makes a curve look like a number of short lines are making it. This is not noticable from a distance but is close up......the Samsung did not suffer from this over HDMI but made all the graduations of shade very blocky so its better but still not perfect.....I feel a scaler comming on!

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Or just buy a better dvd player with decent component outputs, the Philips 963 for £119 delivered from www.play.com will walk all over what you have at the moment.

12. blackeyepurple

blackeyepurple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Giz.....have this at the moment: http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=3547 it got a really good review....you still think the Phillips is better? Not used to hearing anything positive about Phillips these days. Still....didn't stop me buying a Samsung product!

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Well I still use a Philips player, have tried all the other so called top players from Denon, Meridian, Tag and Pioneer and don't think it can be beat for the money. I use mine SDI at the moment but component outs are very good too, and the Faroudja deinterlacing is really good too.