PHD8 out of the box set up

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Daviao, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Daviao

Daviao
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After reading many threads about this screen I am almost about to make a purchase. To get the best from this screen most people seem to be adding scalers. My budget only allows for the standard TY42TM6B BNC SVHS and Composite Board and an additional component board. Any comments on this basic setup?

Or am I better off getting a 436XDE which has all the connections I want? I'm wall mounting so pv500 hangs off the wall too far.

Dave

2. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    a scaler is a very nice to have but hardly essential...(save up and add one later maybe but you'll be happy enough without one)..with regards connections it kind of depends what kit you have

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    A scaler helps to get it from a 9 out of 10 screen to a 10 out of 10 screen! :)

yeah, what kit have you got that will help you decide what inputs to use.

4. Daviao

Daviao
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kit at present
    1. Xbox for gaming and DVD playback. S.video conection but I can get component lead from the states.

2. PC via vga

If I go panel route I will need to get freeview via composite. Not sure if I can get freeview with component output.

Future..........

Blueray/hd-dvd player
    Skyhd...depends on pricing!

I have viewed the PHD8 and 436 without scalers. PHD8 looked best with HD content from PC via vga. 436 look best with PAL sources via s-video/composite :rolleyes:

help.........please!!

5. Daviao

Daviao
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ooops...buget

£2500 including wall bracket, cables...hence can't buy too many additional boards at the mo.

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    Well the PHD8 from av-sales is £2125 for the screen, with bracket or stand and delivery.
    Extra boards are also reduced when you buy them with the screen.
    I would get a scart board and don't spend too much on cables.

You are the first person I have ever heard say the Pioneer looks better with TV, what was teh source for the tv?

7. Daviao

Daviao
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, still learning all about this. My xbox playing dvd's via s-video PAL, looked better on the 436 than PHD8 but that may have been the panel settings. I've seen freeview on 436 and PV500 (both intergrated freeview)and the panny looked alot better. However seeing that I need a panel for wall mounting I will buy a separate freeview box. If I then connect it to a PHD8 via scart or composite I am worried that it will look crap.

Naturally my wife doesn't want a Large screen in the lounge but she is warming to a flush wall mount. Whilst the PHD8 seems to be the best 42 at the mo. I'll be in the dog house if terrestial tv looks crap on my new 2.5k set up.

Does anyone have freeview on a PHD8 via scart/composite/s-video? Is it in your opinion as good as PV500?

thanks.

Never thought choosing a plasma would be this hard!!! :confused:
    thanks for you help..