1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

phd8? or pv500? or wait and see!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by golden phoenix, Oct 13, 2005.

1. golden phoenix

golden phoenix
    Distinguished Member

Aug 29, 2005
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi All,

Been really studying the forum recently to make my HD decision. Initially I narrowed my choice down to 436 or Panny pv500. After seeing both in action I really fancy the pannies although i prefer the styling of the 436.

This is my first plasma after 6 years with current CRT TV. I have budgeted £2500 roughly to spend on display and inputs only. But i am the type of person who wants the best with the cash i have, so my questions are simple.

It has to be HD Screen Only.

My requirements will be

Sky + / Sky HD (when the pricing is more realistic)
    PS 3 (when Available)
    DVD (for now with HDMI upscaling)( until the arrival of BR/HD DVD)

I have a surround system. but just to add to this Is the any centre speaker available that can sit above the plasma (not attached to the wall or embedded.(like the NXT range)
    I dont want one firing at my knees.

I want all inputs to be HDMI (ready for future events)(how much do they cost each? how many can I have? and maybe a component as backup. And a table top mount

I have really been excited by 436/pv500 debate but have found the pannies more of a turn on and after reading about the PHD8 (Panel only) I feel I can really build a system of note.

so Further questions are these:

Is the PHD8 vs PV500 without scaler picture noticeable improved? (this will be short term until i can add a scaler)

How much would it cost to (initially) buy all HDMI input boards (3 would be required).

When I add a scaler, how much would this cost for a really good one.

When I finally get My system calibrated after run in, approx how much will this cost?.

Also, i live in Liverpool, there doesnt seem to be a good dealer where i can actually see the PHD8 in action. Any ideas on where i can see/buy? in the north west area.

Could anybody point me in the right direction as to the best Net prices?.

Or do I wait until new panny range next year or SED or something else......... :lease:

would really welcome comments from Maw,Giz, Piers and any other av gurus out there.

Sorry i realise i have asked alot of questions, but hey £2,500 alot of money to spend to the average joe.

From An Av Virgin who cant wait to pop my plasma Cherry! :rotfl:
  2. Piers

Dec 11, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Lots of your questions relate to pricing and the forum rules prevent me from posting that on the forum. You will have PM - give me half an hour!