• Apologies for the inconvenience, but AVForums will be down from 6am Thursday 21st January 2021 for quite some time while we perform a major update to our core software. See what changes are coming.

PHD8 or PHD9

hornet

Novice Member
Hello.

Have been offered a Th42phd8 is there much difference between this and the new PHD9 panel?

Regards,

Dav.

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member
I would take the 8, what size are we talking about??

The problems with the 9 series are well documented on here, with purple snakes etc. and a couple of people have mentioned seeing them on the commercial screen too.

I nearly sold my 42PHD8 the other day before reading up on these problems and so glad I didn't now, I actually think the screens have got worse with each generation anyway, only problem is it wasn't till the 8 series that we got 50hz support of hdmi.

The PHD8 will do everything, plus it will be run in and you will know if there are any dead pixels etc.

What are you paying for it?? PM if you like.

hornet

Novice Member
Thanks for the rapid response, I currently have a PWD6 which met with a slight accident, and now I am in the position of purchasing a new screen subsidised by the insurance company. (or fix the PW6)

Called a mate of mine who works for an AV firm I asked about the PHD9 and he mentioned the PHD8 worked out a little cheaper so I suppose I will be going for that.

Watching TV on a 14" sony is bad for the eyes...

"gizlaroc" i will PM you.

Regards

Dav.

O

Onno1

There have been no reports of purple snakes on the PH9. There are a lot of reports on the pv60-px60-pv600-px600 models.
The PH9 has better gray/scale processing than the consumer models (16 bit instead of 12 bit).
A lot of reports suggest the ph9 is better than the PHD8 (no more black fluctuation issue for instance). I dare to question the motives of gizlaroc, i think he has other priorities than giving you good advice (selling his phd8).
Go for the ph9, it is a little bit better than the phd8 and you won't regret it.

hornet

Novice Member
The one I may buy will be a new boxed item, not used

I would consider the PHD9 but if the differences are marginal then I may as well save myself a few bob.

In any case it will be a big step up from the PW6

O

Onno1

From all post on the purple snake issue, there is only one user that reports such a problem on the ph9. And there are many posts from users of a ph9 saying they DON'T have this issue. It is a shame you want to buy a ph8 because it suuffers from a black fluctuation problem.

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member
You may question my intentions, but as already said I had sold the screen and decided against it. And I have a buyer lined up at a fair price.
I don't know who you are Onno but think about what you say mate, look back through my posts and you will see that I really wouldn't bother doing that.

From the reports I am hearing from people I trust I am hearing that the PHD8 is better, and hornet can get a new one for £1100, I would say go for it.

O

Onno1

You may question my intentions, but as already said I had sold the screen and decided against it. And I have a buyer lined up at a fair price.
I don't know who you are Onno but think about what you say mate, look back through my posts and you will see that I really wouldn't bother doing that.

From the reports I am hearing from people I trust I am hearing that the PHD8 is better, and hornet can get a new one for £1100, I would say go for it.
OK i read it carefully now, but this sentence made me suspicious:
"The PHD8 will do everything, plus it will be run in and you will know if there are any dead pixels etc. "

At that moment i thought you were trying to sell yours, my suspision got worse when you wanted to know how much he should pay for it and asked him to pm you.

Sorry for that one, i sincerley apologise

O

Onno1

About the black fluctuation problem:

do a search on this forums, use the terms:

black fluctuation phd8

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member
I presumed he was buying it used, and there is definitely benefits buying a plasma used, ie the first person has taken the risk on dead pixels and the pannys take around 800 hours to really start singing so let someone else rack that hours up.

A mate said he could get a new PHD8 for £1150, he then sort of twisted my arm into selling mine to him for the same price, albeit with the dual slot board, calibrated and a brand new pansonic stand, and that is what started me looking at screens again, but after looking round there really is no point, it is changing for changings sake.

But hornet can get them for around £1100, so I have asked for details as I can point my mate in that direction. Leaving me feeling guilt free about not selling mine! :)

-Jay-

Banned
At that moment i thought you were trying to sell yours, my suspision got worse when you wanted to know how much he should pay for it and asked him to pm you.

Sorry for that one, i sincerley apologise
Giz is a pretty straight up guy that say's things as he finds and has helped me a little in the past when picking a screen, he'll tell you it's good and bad points (he should know he's had enough lol) he would'nt say things to sway people into getting a phd8 just so he could sell his imho. :)

Now i've not had a phd8 but have heard about the black fluctuation problem it was for that reason i never got one, as for purle snakes i've not seen them on my ph9 but retention is a **** on my screen if i'm honest.

I have 150 and its still getting it with low settings, not sure how the phd8 was in that respect? all in all happy with the 9 just hope the retention gets better? i thought it had but it has'nt tbh.

Which ever you get i'm sure you will love it. :smashin:

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member
The black fluctuation happens when you get a bright scence, the darker areas also get slightly lighter, on a poorly set up screen it is really obvious, however if set up properly you shouldn't really see it. It is done to keep the blacks darker when showing a completely dark scene.

You can go into the service menu and turn this feature off, this however raises the black level very slightly, to around the same as the black level on the 50PHD8, so not alot, but personally I leave it as it is, I've only noticed the change a few times but can notice the rise in overall black level.

hornet

Novice Member
Nice one guys,

I think I will go for the PHD8 I think, as I may be able to get it cheaper than I first said :)

If it does has a problem with the black level, I will see how bad it effects overall viewing pleasure, and asses it then.

kevmarshall

Novice Member
I have never seen any evidence of this fluctuating black problem on my PHD8..............and it is definately not for sale.:devil:

hornet

Novice Member
That's good to know,

From what I have read this phenomenon seems random, so I won't count the PHD8 out.

I may be one of the lucky ones.

All Plasmas have there pro's and cons, is there such a thing as the perfect Plasma???

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member
Thanks Jay. :)

One thing to point out here, and something I think we all forget, and probably confuses members trying to decide on the screen for them, the Panasonics are awesome screens overall, they all have quirks, some things some people can live with and some can't and some things other people can live with and others can't.

But I could personally live with any of the niggles, it isn't like judder (frame rate conversion) or poor blacks, that really wind me up.

TarPot

I changed from a 42PHD8 to the 42PH9 because of the black fluctuation issue.

I much prefer my PH9. The blacks are even better than the PHD8, which I thought was better than any other screen I have seen.

My sister now has my old PHD8, so I know what both look like for picture quality. But I think the PH9 is equally as good for picture quality. But has better depth beacause of better blacks and no fluctuation.

Just my opinion.

P.S fan noise is less on my PH9, not that I thought the PHD8 was noisy.

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member
Interesting.

Thanks for that, anyone else swapped from 8 to 9??

hornet

Novice Member
Ok I have just placed my order for a PHD9, I was going to get a PX60 but I prefer the look of the panels.

In fact I almost bought a PX60 on Saturday 16th from SEBA Electronics in Ealing who are doing a very good deal at the moment £979.00 + 5 years warranty (prob get it for £950.00)

But the wife talked me out of it…she said that I would still want a panel and I was being reactionary…

Either way I am chuffed.

Thanks for the input

Regards

Dav.

TarPot

Good work hornet. I love my screen.

hornet

Novice Member
I would have gone to collect it today, but i have a damn work doo to go to.

Just need to find a wii now....

S

simonharris

My Panasonic PHD8 50 is superb, amazing picture quality (had it for 7 months), if I was buying right now though I would probably go for the 50 inch Samsung because it is such incredible value at £1500 (my friend has one) and I think it looks just as good as my Panasonic. I would really like a 65 inch but they are so expensive at the moment, I am hoping in the next year or so that 60+ inch prices drop and I can get one that is 1080p.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
I vote for PHD9 coz it's free of black-level fluctuation that is observed with few of the PDH8.

nictry

Distinguished Member
My Panasonic PHD8 50 is superb, amazing picture quality (had it for 7 months), if I was buying right now though I would probably go for the 50 inch Samsung because it is such incredible value at £1500 (my friend has one) and I think it looks just as good as my Panasonic. I would really like a 65 inch but they are so expensive at the moment, I am hoping in the next year or so that 60+ inch prices drop and I can get one that is 1080p.
As a 50PHD8 owner I wouldn't even consider changing mine for a samsung, LG etc. when you compare the Pio/Pana/Fujitsu panels to the other 'cheaper' brands there is no contest, in this world you really do get what you pay for!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
NAD launches CI 16-60 DSP amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky seals Studiocanal movie deal
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
iFi Audio launches iDSD Diablo DAC/Headphone amp
  • By Andy Bassett