1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHD8 from Topfield freeview Image Quality

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Nagundo, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Nagundo

Nagundo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I am about to buy a PHD8 which is to be driven from a Topfield Freeview player. This can only output Interlaced and NOT Progressive scan. Does anyone have this setup and would I need to invest in a scaler to obtain a decent picture (not that I have the budget to a scaler!) :(

I also plan to use a Scart to Component (the Topfield will output Component through Scart) to drive the Video and Audio through a Component Board. I belive this would be better than the Topfield Scart to the Panels optional Scart Board?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

2. stainway

stainway

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I have Topfield 5000 CI sat. receiver and the best picture you will get is with quality scart cable and RGB enabled on the Topfield.I did try with scart to component (you can change in the menu the output) but the result was a bit "dirty" picture.
    But a hi-end scart cable will improve the PQ.

3. Nagundo

Nagundo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Cheers for that.

I have tested the Component output from the Toppy to separate ports on my CRT and I can see no difference. My concern was more to do with the boards on the panel. I had heard that the component board gave a better picture that the scart board.

I cannot find an outlet where i can test this no-one near me (south Bucks) seems to sell or show them.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Nagundo, I have this exact setup, the PQ will depend on how your set handles the respective signals, and as Stainway has an LG, not a pHD 8, his remarks are out of context. Also his is a sattellite version, differences unknown. Mine is fine by component, you will not 'need' a scaler, but naturally it makes a good setup even better. Whether this is connected by analogue or digital is another interesting question, mine is currently analogue, VGA native rest at 50Hz. I like it, and others who see it buy it.

5. Nagundo

Nagundo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    MAW, just to be clear you have a toppy plugged to a PHD8?

Do you use Scart to Scart (RGB) Scart to Componet (YUV) or Scart to Composite (on the supplied board)?

Other threads (indeed one posted by you) seem to imply that the default composite is just as good as the additional boards (£100 scart, £50 component) why spend the money if it is no better?

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Composite! Wash your mouth out boy! COMPONENT by 15 pin, yes, that's running on my screen right now, CBBC newsround. Scaler out of the picture currently, after a demo. I alter my setup to show the intended customer setup of course. My setup has the toppy set to component, a scart adapter with 4 phonos, (I use it for RGB and sync with a scaler) And a QED P-CV1 lead from adapter to amp, and a custom lead from amp component out to screen. This is 3 phono to 15pin, screen set to component in.

7. Nagundo

Nagundo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    There appears to be three option for Audio out of the Toppy. L&R bnc, Digital (S/PDIF) and via Scart, have you found any prefernce to these or was that dependant on your amp? I assume that if driven from the Scart you would need to Scart to 6 bnc cable?

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sorry, my firmware must be old, I have no audio options. All outputs are active all the time AFAIK, mine is connected by optical cable. And are you talking about connecting by BNC to the scaler? As if you are going straight from Toppy to screen you'll need a lead finishing with a 15 pin din. The best way of achieving this is with one of the scart adapters, just a plug with 3 or 4 phonos on it, RGB and sync, component is output on the RGB plugs. Audio is on phono pair or optical then

9. Nagundo

Nagundo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    My mistake. I though there were two RCA terminals built into the Panel for audio in as well as a VGA (15 pin) socket for Video. I will eventually drive the speakers through an AV Amp.

Thanks for the info, just about there now. :)

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Pannys have dedicated audio inputs for each video input. VGA has a 3.5 jack beside it, it's a PC input after all. You could go 2 phono to 3.5 jack if sound at the panel is important for you