PHD8 fans and buzzing

WSH

Established Member
Reaction score
Now a few people have started getting the PHD8 devlivered I thought I would start a thread similar to the one I started back in June for the PV500 http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219175&page=1 . Its had over 9000 views to date!

One or two people have mentioned a buzz from their PHD8 so far. Is the noise distracting and does everyone have it? Does the PHD8 buzz more or less than the PV500?

Someone mentioned the fans run constantly. Was this a faulty one or is this normal?

If the general concensus it that the PHD8 is as noisy as the PV500 I may well get a PWD8 which has no fans and uses less power so should in theory buzz less.

The fan runs at full speed at startup then it either slows down or stops because i cant hear it even if i put my ear by the back of the screen.
There is a slight buzzing noise on the right hand side back of the panel but at my viewing distance (approx 8ft)and walking around the room, i can't hear it.

Can you really not hear yours after the initial woosh? I can hear mine constantly (but the woosh is very noticeable)

I don't know if it's the fan I can hear or just the unit generally, but it is audible.

I also get a slight whine sometimes, I think when there's quite a bit of white on the screen

I'd assumed that was the nature of life, maybe mine is faulty... how do I find out?

mine is also very quiet after the intitial one second woosh....i certainly don't notice it even putting my ear to it....to be honest I was a bit worried about this before i got it......but then i forgot all about it when it arrived today and only remembered that I had been worried when i read this thread

sorry to be boring, are you saying the whole thing is silent after the woosh or just that there is no fan noise?

This may be a call to AV Sales in the morning, since mine is fairly audible all the time (some operating noise)

Fans silent after initail start up....buzz from left and right hand side of panel.....only noticable in complete silence....oh and 1 stuck pixel....sets great though :thumbsup:

love the PQ, but don't want a noisy set if that's what I've got.

I'm sat 8 feet from mine and I can hear it even in quiet periods. We don't have the volume up too loud (neighbours & young children to pacify), but it's worrying me now.

There is a buzzing like i said but maybe im not too sensitive to it as i don't hear it and not bothered by it.

Mines noisy, not to the point of distraction.

The "normal" volume masks it, but its there alright.

av2diefor - you bothered by it, in the light of those people with 'quieter' screens?

mine is just like teh pwd7 i had before you just hear the usual plasma buzz if you put your ear right up to it

I get an initial whoosh then nothing - connected to it at the mo, PC is obvious, can hear some noise on plasma but only with ear rested on top of bezel, seriously, it's silent.

theo cupier said:
av2diefor - you bothered by it, in the light of those people with 'quieter' screens?

No its fine, doesn't trouble me at all.

Its just that my 37pe30 is silent and so is my 506.

mine is also silent after the initial whoosh on start up.... couldnt be happier with my screen

WSH said:
If the general concensus it that the PHD8 is as noisy as the PV500 I may well get a PWD8 which has no fans and uses less power so should in theory buzz less.

I don't know about the PW8s .. but I've a PW7 that buzzes a fair bit (audilble at quiet volume levels at 9 ft.) ... so don't think that going for a PW8 will necessarily solve your problem. After exchanging it for another new one (nice one av-sales) it had the same buzz issue. I've learned to live with it ...

ZedZed

Do you hear the buzz also with a wall-mount or only when the screen is on a pedestal ??

Is there a difference in noise level with a wall mount?

zedzed said:
I don't know about the PW8s .. but I've a PW7 that buzzes a fair bit (audilble at quiet volume levels at 9 ft.) ... so don't think that going for a PW8 will necessarily solve your problem. After exchanging it for another new one (nice one av-sales) it had the same buzz issue. I've learned to live with it ...

ZedZed

wierd, as my PW7 is also very quiet...just seems pot luck

If it is noisy at the begin it will get only worse-the fan will get dust with the time and will start to make even more noise-did they warn you when you buy the TV-there is a buzz, but you have to live with that :confused:

I have been waiting for the PHD8 to come out before making my first purchase in the plasma market, but am now a bit concerned about this fan noise that is being discussed.

I find it strange though that in the brochure on page 7 (viewed on av-sales website) the following is stated;

Fan-Less Quiet Operation*3
Our "silence engineering" has eliminated the need for a fan — and fan noise —
giving you the kind of quiet operation that makes for a more pleasant viewing
experience.
(TH-65PHD8, 50PHD8 and 42PHD8 series feature a noise-suppressing silence design.)

If Panasonic are claiming that the PHD8 has a noise suppressing silence design then I would certainly be disappointed if I could hear it from my 9ft viewing distance.

Watched a couple of movies today, one with the rest of the family and one in splendid isolation and didn't notice the buzzing at all.

This is either because the screen's getting quieter or I'm noticing it less, or I have had the volume turned up higher...

AV Sales have offered a swap (nice chaps!) but I'm a little conflicted since visually the screen is perfect; no dead or stuck pixels. I'm worried about trading one (subjective) problem for another.

you'll struggle to hear it from 9' away....i've tried listening for it again tonight as teh house is quiet for a change........it is really no different to the normla plasma buzz...I can hear it with volume down if I concentrate on it...but with usual volume I just don't hear it......

Our "silence engineering" has eliminated the need for a fan — and fan noise —
giving you the kind of quiet operation that makes for a more pleasant viewing
experience

... They are referring to the PWD series which has never had fans - at least the PWD6, 7 and 8 - maybe the PWD4 and 5 series had fans!

(TH-65PHD8, 50PHD8 and 42PHD8 series feature a noise-suppressing silence design.)

... They are referring to the fact that the PHD series have fans which do not need to be on all the time i.e. temperature controlled

All pure Panasonic marketing tripe! as arrogant as ever!

Gussie :)

Gussie said:
All pure Panasonic marketing tripe! as arrogant as ever!

Agreed :thumbsup:

So exactly what does "noise-suppressing silence" mean! Noise suppressed = Quiet, Silence = No Noise, which is a contradiction :rolleyes:

Like you say I suppose they are trying to say that it's quiet when the fan is on and silent when it isn't, but it's a damn stupid way that panasonic are trying to explain it.

I've had the privilege of auditioning several plasma screens - all the HD screens (Panasonics and Samsungs) were noisy.

As for SD screens (again Samsung and Panasonic) - they were less noisy.

The electronic buz was more prominent on the HD models I had, and Fans are bad news anytime - they WILL get louder as they age.

If you opt for an HD screen be prepared to live with the noise - if you don't hear it under normal viewing conditions (10 feet away) then good, if not then you'll have to get used to it.

Currently I'm using an elderly Samsung SD screen - not very good image quality but at 10 foot away totally silent!

I am resigned to the fact that if I get a PWD8 ( :lease: one more price drop AV-Sales :lease: ) - I will probably hear it's electronic buz from 10 feet away as I did with both a PWD6 and a PWD7 - Panasonic could design a quiet panel with more expensive components and QC but it would cost much more!

If I was paying the sorts of prices you have in the US - 42PHD8 £1350, 50PHD8 £1600 - I would not care so much! But at over £2000 and over £3500 respectively I expect more.

I would not be surprised to see quite a few more posts about this issue from both PHD8 owners and prospective purchasers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom