PHD8: digital input non-standard, no AR control?

rauer

Novice Member
I asked this question in another thread, but I'm afraid it won't be noticed. Somebody wrote in that thread that

- PHD8's digital video input is not standard
- there's no aspect-ratio control with digital inputs

Anyone care to elaborate on this? What's it about?

MAW

Banned
The PHD8 digital input is an optional extra. You get component/VGA and S-Video/composite shared inputs as std. You buy video boards for other inputs. About £100 depending on the board. There are lots of boards, from duplicates of original ones, to SDI, wi fi, mini PC, you name it. That's why they are extra, no use for an HDMI in a boardroom usually.
Aspect ratio, anything sent digitally in a widescreen ratio is locked to 16/9. This is in common with all other HDMI/DVI inputs, it's part of the standard for HDTV. There is no such thing as 4:3 HDTV. If it's a broadcaster upscaled transmission of material originally 4:3 it is put in a 16:9 frame, and cannot be expanded to fill the screen, it already does, kind of. All 4:3 digital signals, like PC resolutions VGA, SVGA can be aspect controlled, ie stretched to 16/9 or left at 4:3.

rauer

Novice Member
Thanks, MAW.

I thought the non-standard digital input would have to do with its technical aspects. I knew it comes as an optional blade.

The digital input being locked to 16:9 is a bummer, though. I personally refuse to watch anything distorted in a wrong AR. I guess that leaves the option of having a source that windowboxes the 4:3 to 16:9, but that reduces the horisontal resolution..

MAW

Banned
You're still at the wrong end of the stick mate. Digital signals force you to watch in the RIGHT aspect ratio. There is nothing technically non standard about PHD8 inputs, they are by the book.

rauer

Novice Member
Oops, I sort of missed the line in your previous post where you mentioned 4:3 _can_ be left at that AR. My bad. Thanks again.

MAW

Banned
OK, you have it then. I have the DVI blade in my PHD, for greater PC signal compatibility, yet still being HD ready. I generally use XGA at 60Hz from my scaler, the FRC does not bother me mostly, but I have a backup profile at 720p/50 for those odd occasions when it does.