PHD8 and ISF

shb77

Established Member
Reaction score
Last week got a second-hand one of these (av sales had sold out by the time I decided to order!) and had Piers come round and calibrate it.
Previously I had a PW4 which gave brilliant PQ with SD (sky) via JS Tech to VGA convertor.

Anyway, I was a bit concerned about getting this panel as all my sources were SD and I thought that the PQ may be worse with sky (because of the upscaling of the panel).

Once panel was fired up it put all my worries to waste.
The PQ was absolutely brilliant - though poor quality sky transmissions do not look as good as they did on the PW4, which seemed to be able to cope with poorer quality better. However, at the other end of the scale, good quality sky transmissions look much better.

Piers then calibrated my dvd and sky on the panel and I have to say that it really is worthwhile as the colours now look really vivid and have a really realistic feel to them. Dvd looks pin sharp and am noticing all sorts of detail that I had not previously noticed on my PW4. Also, as Piers demo-ed some HD material and also a lumagen HDQ scaler and I found this really fascinating as I only have a basic knowledge of certain matters and having someone explain things in detail was really interesting! :thumbsup:

Have spent the past week been watching all my favourite films again!

:rotfl:

Shaiba said:
*snip*
Piers then calibrated my dvd and sky on the panel and I have to say that it really is worthwhile as the colours now look really vivid and have a really realistic feel to them. Dvd looks pin sharp and am noticing all sorts of detail that I had not previously noticed on my PW4. Also, as Piers demo-ed some HD material and also a lumagen HDQ scaler and I found this really fascinating as I only have a basic knowledge of certain matters and having someone explain things in detail was really interesting! :thumbsup:

Have spent the past week been watching all my favourite films again!

:rotfl:

Had my 4 year old Pio 433MXE calibrated recently, and again excellent, even though my tv was pretty well set up according to Avia and DVE, still a vast improvement.

If when I get my 50 inch, Ishall get that done tooooo

Adrian

Glad you are enjoying your new panel :thumbsup:
Once I get my system back together (6 weeks + of no HD8 :( ) I will be booking Piers for an isf (as he seems to be the closest). Jury is still out on whether I need or can justify a vp :rolleyes:

I am also debating whether to get a VP - this is the next step but the problem is that the one that I want is too expensive - the lumagen HDQ. Prior to Piers coming round, I was thinking of a lumagen DVI as I do not have any HD sources, but I quickly realised that even if in the short term I would not be getting HD sources, I would thereafter and that this would make the DVI redundant. Also, having seen the many things that the HDQ can do, this is also convinced me that this is the way to go (when I eventually get round to getting one).

I am just enjoying the panel at the moment so I'll wait till that wears off before I think about adding to it!

Shaiba - what were the things you noticed the most during the HDQ demo?

Piers did come over to try and demo one to me (whilst doing my ISF calibration) but unfortunately the power pack had died in transit and he couldn't show me anything.

I ask because I have made the mental commitment to buy (when Gordon gets his new stock in) but haven't spoken to anyone who has actually seen the difference it makes.

Just a quick note to those following this thread - unless you will be going second hand it is highly unlikely that you will be able to get a DVI unless anyone has an old one in stock.

Certain EU laws mean that that the Lumagen range now consists of the HDP and the HDQ, both of which are excellent performers.

Neil

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom