1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHD7 and VGA input from iScan?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sparkz, Dec 6, 2004.

1. sparkz

sparkz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if it's feasible to use the VGA output from the iScan to the VGA input on the PHD7? I assume this is the same with PW6/7.

Is there any advantage in doing this? Would it improve the judder from frame rate conversion for instance?

One thing that confused me with the setup of the iScan is how do you know what the resultant frequency is? eg. I start from 720p/50 and tweak the parameters a lot (because the picture is way off). Is it still going to be 50Hz at the end or does the changing of the parameters affect this? Sorry if this sounds a bit stupid!

Better still does anyone know of any good sites which explain the setting of such parameters?

Thanks
    Mark

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Sparkz - by going in through the VGA there is no need for any frame rate conversion at all, therefore you can happilly send PAL at 50Hz and NTSC at 60Hz (or whatever other refresh rates you may want to use).

Regarding setup try the Video Processors forum both on this site and over at AVSForum, and also do a search for iScan HD settings as some tasty 720p settings were posted a good while back. Also try standard XGA res if you are using 42" PHD panel.

3. sparkz

sparkz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Liam, thanks for that.

At least I know I'm on the right track. When I connected a VGA and saw this horrible picture I wasn't too sure. Just a matter of getting the right parameters.

I'll check out those settings :)

Mark

4. BillBailey

BillBailey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark

I got my PHD7 and Iscan on Friday and have also been trying to get the right settings. Definitely the XGA setting gives me the best results.

But can anyone suggest how to reduce/eliminate the slow motion effect which is especially obvious when watching the footy?

And also a really dumb question - what kind of cable do I need to connect the optical audio output of my Sky+ box to the optical socket on the Iscan? I have been provided with a toslink-toslink cable, but that doesn't seem to "go" into the Sky+.

For anyone considering the PHD7, I have to say that it is a wonderful piece of kit straight from the box. :thumbsup:

Off now to check the other forums for Iscan settings.

Bill

5. Ultraviolet

Ultraviolet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    have also got the PHD7 and iScan HD and found SXGA to be best.... are there any additional tweaks I should consider?

I'm using a Van Den Hul toslink - toslink opto coupler which works extremely well. But does require a bit of 'gentle' persuasion to connect:

http://www.hificables.co.uk/Product...D/2398/v/39f446b9-7828-4bbd-9676-a0ab40248311

agree with the comments around judder on Sky+, especially for fast panning shots (footie especially). anyone got any thoughts on how to improve this?

Neil

6. sparkz

sparkz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bill:

Yes, a great bit of kit alright :D

Just using the component input to the PHD7 at the moment but want to try out the vga to see if it's any better. Also, see if it's any better with this slight judder I've seen - probably the same as your "slow motion effect"?

I did plug in a vga cable briefly - only a cheap one though. I've got a decent one on order. The first thing that struck me was the picture was very dark, lacked a lot of colour, didn't fit the screen properly etc. I guess it needs a lot of tweaking.

Regards the toslink. I assume you took out the dust cap from the optical socket?

Regards
    Mark