PHD6 or PE30?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by gbrown, Jun 22, 2004.

1. gbrown

gbrown
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been waiting to order a Panasonic 37PE30 until AV-Sales have the standard PX20 desktop stand in stock. I'm also interested in the DMR-E85 DVDR/HDD offer, since it seems a very cheap way to get PAL prog scan to feed the screen.

I was originally interested in this model since it is one of very few 37" screens and the smaller screen should give a better picture. However, while I've been waiting for the stand I've begun to wonder if I might not be better off with a straight panel and fancy one of the HD PHD6 or MX1's.

I don't really need speakers or a tuner since I have a nice 5.1 separates system and Sky+ provides most of the source material. I also have a Pioneer 5100H DVDR/HDD which can only do RGB (no Prog Scan) and a Pinnacle Show Center media Streamer which can do Prog Scan or 1024x768 VGA (but which I mainly use for music).

It seems to me that the more flexible connectivity (all round the back) and cleaner input path might be better than the PE30's convenience.

Will the E85's prog scan give a much better picture than the 5100H's RGB? I guess this depends on how good it's de-interlacers are compared to the Plasma's.

If it is close perhaps I would be better making do and waiting for a prog scan upgrade at a later date. Or buying a new Pioneer 575 Player for about £150.

I guess in 2-3 years there will be good HDMI/DVI driven HD panels and all the problems with native res, 50Hz, HDCP compliance, etc, will be reduced so I am planning to buy again in that sort of time-scale. This is what led me to the 37PE30 in the first place, it's cheap and easy and could be moved to a bedroom or resold quite easily.

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +284
    gbrown,

I think if you got the 37" model, after a a couple of weeks you'll be wishing you'd have a got a 42 or 43" model. I was the same with my 43", wanting a 50" after a few days - you soon get used to a big screen and want one even bigger! :) Regarding whether to get the PHD6 or an MXE1, I'd save £300 and get the more flexible MXE1 - but maybe I'm biased. ;) If you are looking forward to HiDef broadcasts in a couple of years, the MXE1 will accept 720p 50Hz and even 1080p 60Hz signals through RGBHV. Hope this helps.

Steve

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    It might also depend on timescales. We're all still waiting for the MXE-1. The panasonic is definitely blacker than the pioneer too. But Dutch is right, unless your room is very small you'll wish you'd gone bigger. Especially with almost no cost implication. I would also look carefully at the HD panasonic, do you really need it? The SD will accept HDTV signals, and in fact often looks every bit as good with TV and DVD as it stands.

4. j0nners

j0nners
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Though the SD does have a noticable flicker (at least for me) when showing areas of light colour. I believe the HD does not suffer from this to the same degree.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    This is true, it doesn't bother me but it's well worth checking for. Bit like checking DLP projectors for rainbows, you either see it or you don't.

6. Baz80

Baz80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    we just got our 37 pe30 four days ago and having been a firm believer in crt for thirty years am amazed i didnt make the change sooner picture quality is spectacular and although i initially did want the 42 inch version i'm more than happy with the 37 (our room is quite small so this is a factor) but as for the stand i went for the cabinet rather than wall mount and i feel despite the horrendous cost it really does look the buisness if i was you i'd go for the cabinet rather than the pedestal especially now the cost of the tv is coming down again