1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phase Switch - how do I know which is best

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Dr.Rock, May 14, 2005.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've been playing around with the phase switch on my REL Q150E
    I can't always notice much difference, is there suppsoed to be a lot of diference between the two settings (0 degrees and 180 degrees) ?

Sometimes I think I notice a difference, but it could be my ears playing tricks on me. Not sure what I should be looking for.

One of the settings (180 degrees) I feel the bass is a bit more audible, but the overall sound is softer. So maybe the othersetting (0 degrees) should be the one to go for?

Any advice is greatly apreciated.

Thanks.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    You've hit the nail on the head with the phase switch not making a lot of difference - I don't think you should worry too much about it as there are many more important aspects to consider when setting up you sub. Just flick it to the setting where the bass seems the loudest.

It can be a very useful control if you have more than one sub or are really trying to tame a room response but you'll really need RTA software to get the most out of it. :)

3. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    It's probably most needed if you have larger fronts which are throwing out
    the same/similar bass frequencies as the sub. In this case you can get phase cancellation, which would result in loss of bass level. What you want within a system is all the drivers firing in the same direction (in phase). e.g. if you look at your sub driver, you see it moving, so basically you want all your drivers synchronised. If they are not, i.e. one driver is going back whilst the other is going forward, you will get phase cancellation, e.g. add +1 to -1 will = nothing. The solution to this on the sub is to use your switch, or if checking phase between L + R speakers make sure the red terminal of both speakers is going to the red terminals of the amp. If one is the wrong way round to the other, it means it is 180 degrees out of phase. If your left speaker is 180 degrees out of phase with the right, & you sit in the middle, you will get an uncomfortable sensation as the sound from L + R is arriving at slightly diff. times.

As eviljohn2 says, whichever setting gives you the loudest response will be the right one.

Again, if you are using a small satellite/sub system, then the phase switch
    will do very little, since they won't be handling the same frequencies.