1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Notice: AVForums will be offline at 10pm for no longer than 30 minutes for scheduled maintenance. Apologies for any inconvenience this causes.
    Dismiss Notice

Phantom PVR

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by pwiles1968, May 3, 2005.

1. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have been looking at one of these to automatically to use to automatically start and record programs using the sky personal planner, I have the capability to do this already with my Pana E65 but it annoys me I can not record in RGB and the fact you have to leave the recorder in EXT Link mode which I sometimes forget to do.

I have a question about this unit for anyone that has one.

Can I plug the PVR into the Video scart to get the control feature I want but have the DVD plugged into the TV scart so I receive the RGB signal?

2. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Normal versions of this only start and stop the recorder and hence the output will still be on AV2 (sky) and in Composite (video)

Have a look at this version here

It says it can switch the sky box into RGB mode, start the DVD recorder and remove DOG's

If you get one post a report on how it works :thumbsup:

3. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Looking at the write up it will not start and stop My DVD so I therefore need my DVD to be Plugged into the VCR scart to recieve this signal ditrectly from the sky Box, so I can not make use of the RGB facility and still need to put my DVD into EXT Link.

Thanks for he suggestion but I do not think this is what I need.

4. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having read it again I guess it doesn't do all the required, you would still need a Phantom PVR.

The problem is that a RGB signal is not trasmitted via AV1 from the Sky box during the personal planer starting. This device switches the output on.

Hence if your VCR/DVD has an external recording link which starts recording on a signal then the device should also switch on the RGB mode and in theory be perfect.

Therefore although it would operate on AV2 you could still have your recorder pluged into AV1 on the sky box.

You also need a way to trigger the DVD into starting to record and hence need a device that does both.

To be honest I looked at all of this some time ago and concluded the Sky is so crap at timing programmes the personal planner is useless since a lot of programmes can start a minute before hence you miss the begining.

With a DVD recorder you have added time to start up and may miss a couple of mins if the programme started early.

The only problem with leaving the box on all the time is if theres a power cut or the box reboots then you record a blank screen even if the planner is set.

5. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I did not know till today that the sky does not transmit an RGB signal when in personal planner mode, I am in a ming just to forget it and start doing manual set recordings in RGB, and only swapping the system over if I go on holiday and need to tape several different episodes.