1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phantom of the Opera LE

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by Seth Gecko, Apr 20, 2005.

1. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
  2. JAMESTALKALOT

JAMESTALKALOT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I decided to go for this. I had the R2 on pre-order anyway (although much less than this set)

Will the DTS and nice overall package be worth the extra 8 squid though?...I hope so :D

3. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :rotfl: Shame about the film

4. edinburgh160

edinburgh160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought the film was fantastic. They did IMO a really good job with a very diffficult production. Still prefer the stage version though.

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Ooh that looks lovely! I think I’m going to have to get this for the wife, she loved the film!

Bit pricey, but £20 ain’t bad for a nice looking gift set!

Great spot Seth! :thumbsup:

6. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    Come on, it wasn’t that bad. Although it didn’t really deviate from the stage version much, the production values were high and it had a full orchestra. I really enjoyed it – thumbs up from me :thumbs up:

7. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Exactly - I can't comment on the movie (not seen it and even if I had, this is about bargains, not movie critiques), but Tejstar - £20 has to be cheap to keep 'er indoors happy for 5 minutes :)

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    That’s right. She’s been telling me that I’ve become so unromantic since we’ve been married. At least this way I can mix one of my passions (dvd’s) and make her happy too! :D

9. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Not sure the "plastic rose" is romantic - but hey, if it gives your ears an hours rest - it's worth it!

10. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    My wife will be happy with any kind of rose she can get! :laugh:

11. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good but £20 is a lot for a DVD these days, special edition or not. I will wait for the price to drop...

12. smartiepants

smartiepants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

limited to 2000 so it will be sold out before its release Dr
    YesAsia have it a bit cheaper I think

13. brian mc

brian mc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You would be better off buying this from CDWOW even though they put the price up from £18.99 to £19.99 yesterday. Yeasasia add on postage as it's $2 under their free delivery and you might get hit by customs too. :)

14. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    Yesasia pay your customs charges - but you're right about the P&P. As it's only 2000 it's a case of order quick before they go.

15. smartiepants

smartiepants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    then find something else to go with it, Maybe try the original POTO film that has also been re-released in a nice set
    they are customs friendly & if ordered together you get a $5 voucher for your next bargain :thumbsup:

16. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Isn't everyone missing the big drawback with this one?

:eek: It contains songs by Andrew Lloyd Webber. :eek:

Shouldn't there be a law against it or something? :D

Oh and "Directed by Joel Schumacher" doesn't exactly set the pulse racing in anticipation either!

17. smartiepants

smartiepants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3

You're right there mate
    one of the highest selling longest running stage productions seen by millions brought to the silver screen by one of todays modern blockbuster directors
    who would want to see that ;)

18. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Yes - the man who brought us "Batman & Robin"... :D

Some rave reviews for "Phantom"...

"Now I know why, besides Lon Chaney, the best screen version of The Phantom of the Opera is the silent one. No one sings in it."

"...feels like little more than a 2 hour+ promotional video for perfume, jewelry, corsets and curtains."

"On the boards 'The Phantom of the Opera' was bloated kitsch; now, thanks to Schumacher, it's hysterically bloated kitsch."

"I didn't see a single fat lady in the entire thing. That must be why it never ended."

"Those of us who love musicals will not be thrilled with the new big-screen version of "The Phantom of the Opera" -- not because it's a terrible film (though it is), but because of the bad name it gives movie musicals."

"Takes everything that's wrong with Broadway and puts it on the big screen in a gaudy splat."

"Some of my colleagues have said that a director as shallow as Schumacher is the perfect fit for a musical as shallow as "Phantom of the Opera," but I think the finished product proves otherwise."

"For some of us, the phenomenal popularity of Phantom remains the greatest mystery of all, one left unsolved by this interminable screen spectacle."

"If you want something more from musicals than a single syrupy hit, though -- and have fond memories of the Phantom as our most romantic of monsters -- then seek out the old Lon Chaney silent instead, and put on your own darn music."

"My own reaction to the current version fashioned by Mr. Schumacher is one of pure stupefaction."

19. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    :rotfl:

20. smartiepants

smartiepants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    thanks for posting someone elses informed review
    I have not seen the film yet but when I do I will try & not let it cloud my own judgement ;)

21. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Taken from 10 seperate reviews actually...

No matter who directed this movie, they are saddled with one inescapable albatross about their neck from the outset - namely the dull, lumpen mediocrity that is Lloyd Webber's music (a substantial amount pinched from Puccini in this case). And let's not forget, "opera" style, this dirge runs for the entire duration of the movie.

I was dragged to see this on stage many years ago by someone who paid for the ticket, convinced that it would change my mind about Lloyd Webber.

Two hours of purgatory! Could have had a nice nap, but this awful noise kept coming from the stage. How I longed for that chandelier to really fall and put an end to it all!

Everything that typifies the debasement of modern musical theatre encapsulated in one turgid show. Dreadful.

22. tvr

tvr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Your opinion. But I suspect you are in the minority!

I would urge anyone who has yet to see the stage show to do so.
    You may like it, you may not.
    But the figures speak for themselves - 52 million people over 18 years!!

23. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Oh I see. Lots of people like it so it must be good.

I'll remember that the next time the latest 7 day wonder from Pop Idol has a Number 1 record - it must be good because lots of people like it. Nice and simple way of evaluating quality you've got there mate. No degree of thought required - just add up the numbers. Handy that!

I suppose though that one could be awkward and look at it another way.

Webber's real talent lies in knowing how to appeal to that lowest common denominator among an unsophisticated ticket buying public. I deliberately choose the term "ticket buying" as opposed to "theatre going". I've lost count of the people I've met whose solitary experience of a theatre in their lifetime has been to see "Phantom".

He also knows what dead composers to steal from and how to use that material to suit his ends (slightly miscalculated on Phantom though - Puccini had an active and litigious estate guarding his work and it ended up costing Andy boy a packet in an out-of-court settlement).

This usually involves sanitizing the harmonic language of the original into a bland confection so it isn't too taxing for his target demographic. Also it doesn't hurt that for his textual narratives he takes already proven, popular works (of others) as the foundation for his musical doodlings (The Bible, Sunset Boulevard, T.S. Eliot, The Phantom of the Opera, etc.). But even these have the guts and spirit ripped out of them by the time his chosen lyricist has beaten them into mono-dimensional submission with the banality stick.

He also has the annoying and transparent habit of finding a single musical idea that serves his immediate dramatic purpose, and then dressing it in lavish, pretentious and ultimately vacuous orchestral sonority, and then more often than not flogging it to death in several variations on the theme for the duration of the show. Even Wagner never took the concept of leitmotif to those extremes!

The end effect being that the resulting homogenised work often strikes home with the close to tone-deaf masses that find it impossible to deal with more than one idea at a time, never mind any accompanying harmonic or contextual subtleties, let alone -perish the thought- complexities.

A bit like the West End's answer to James Last - although at least when Last strips the soul out of someone else's music, he at least has the decency to still credit the original composer.

Webber has pretty much done for musical theatre what the likes of Jerry Bruckheimer has done for cinema and Simon Cowell has done for popular music, namely dumbed it down to the nth degree and struck gold with the monkeymass.

Musical and theatrical pablum. Of course millions will love it.

Just my opinion of course... :D

24. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    I'm in that minority too :smashin:

Although as bad as Phantom was at least I stayed awake, which is more that I can say for Valiant yesterday. Got to be the worst film of 2005 so far.

25. tvr

tvr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Because I am quite simple (along with millions of other people it would appear!), am I not entitled to enjoy a stage production that may be, in your words
    ?

We simple folk are capable of enjoying things in life that don't have to be analysed to the nth degree!

Obviously I don't have an ALW chip on my shoulder as large as yours, but my intention in my original post was to persuade people to form their own opinion on the stage show after seeing it.

I agree with you though, that quoting the figures was nice and simple!
    - that's me lol!

26. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Oh Dear - one of those! :rolleyes:

Let's get one thing perfectly clear. Nowhere in my post do I state anything regarding what anyone should or should not be entitled to, or what they should or should not enjoy or do.

Stick to addressing the points raised and do not attempt to attribute statements to me that I clearly did not make.

27. tvr

tvr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Apologies for attributions - you are quite correct.

Would you accept that a line such as
    . could be taken as an insult though?

A proud member of the Monkeymass!! lol! - great name for a band :D

28. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    For the record, I really enjoyed this film. I can't wait for the DVD. I'm edging back to this edition just to have it rendered in pure DTS bliss! :hiya: