1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phantom Menace on laserdisc

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dUnKle, Oct 20, 2000.

1. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,462
    Ok i admit it I rather enjoyed the film and own it on video but where can I get it from on NTSC LD with a DD5.1 sountrack ?

Whats the besr most reliable best priced web site to order from ?

2. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    You'll be hard pressed to find it. It was in limited supply. I ended up paying £65 for it, but the place I bought it from ran out.

A shame because the picture and sound beat most DVD's hands down.

Also if you're lucky enought to have a LD-G compatible player you can turn those subtitles in Japanese off. I'm not that lucky but they don't bother me much.

Oh yeah its actually THX Surround EX sound too.

[This message has been edited by DaveH (edited 20-10-2000).]

3. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may be in luck- Ro-Disk (www.rodisc.nl) claim to have it in stock.

Its 324 Holland thingies- which I believe is about £100.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dutch Guilders (about £86).

Sorry to be picky, but MrsH is a quarter Dutch, so I'd be in the doghouse if I didn't say anything!

[This message has been edited by PeteH (edited 20-10-2000).]

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WE discussed this whole LD-G thing on the old forum just after TPM came out on LD, and if I remember right, no one knew what the hell it was!!

I know it stands for Laser Disc Graphics, but I have NEVER seen a player with this function....anyone know different??

I also wish I had bought the LD of The Phantom Menace ( I cancelled mine before it was released).

Anyone selling a copy ???lol

I remember reading a review site just after it was released that said it was wrong that we were having to pay such extortionaye prices for the disc in the UK as many stores in the US had LOADS of copies on their shelves for around $35-40.

------------------
    "Why do I do this? Three reasons: the pay is good, the scenery changes, and they let me use explosives."

http://www.ypcc.co.uk

6. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Good ol Laser-Disc Graphics!

In answer to your question, none of our UK players had the LD-G function. The Japanese players had the LD-G function and upon a press of the button the subtitles vanish.

Quite funny because you would think Japan would not need this feature for this disc.

7. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    You cannot turn off the subs. I have a LD-S9, a Japanese model, with the LD-G feature. You can move the subs around and you can superimpose English over top of the Japanese, if you care to. I watch with the Japanese subs, I can't read them so I get oblivious to them. This is the best 5.1 track I've heard. If you have a really good LD player that cuts video noise well, it's a very good looker. The disc's video is a tad noisier than the best LDs, but a good player will minimize that.

There are stille copies to be had. Here's two places to try.

eav.com
    laserexchange.com

There's always e-bay....

------------------

Rachael, the big disc cat!

8. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    You got LD-G? That's interesting how much did the Japanese player cost and how does it compare with the Pioneer CLD-D925?

I think the sound is the best I have heard for a while. The video is also excellent I found the picture noisy only on the swamp bits on Naboo that I think will become Dagobah in the next film.

I think the picture matches DVD in this case.

I could have sworn those subtitles could be turned off. Oh well it's better than nothing.

Dave

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought I had read that players with LD-G could completely remove the subtitles too.......odd?

I have had a scour around some of the LD on line retailers and have found two that say they will have copies of TPM from October 20th.....but not many (and I have a funny fealing they may all be pre-ordered), so I am going to beg the Wife.......dont think it will work though.

Best bet look's like this one : http://www.sendmemovies.com/cgi-bin/dbsearch.exe?mdb=\smm.mdb,tbl=Table1,template=/dbforms/returnphantommenace.htm,DB_Catalog=L-STARW6-N

Used to buy a lot of LD's from them, but they took AGES to arrive.

Wonder if I can persaude her to buy it for me and put it away as a Christmas prezzie....

------------------
    "Why do I do this? Three reasons: the pay is good, the scenery changes, and they let me use explosives."

[This message has been edited by Jason (edited 20-10-2000).]

10. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Dave, I live in the U.S. ,I've never seen a 925 in person. Some on line friends tell me it's a pretty average player by any standards except European, apparently the previous models were even weaker. I got my S9 out of Hong Kong last spring, delivered to my door in Tennessee for $1650.

I also have a CLD-99 and the LD-S9 outperforms it on video. The two players are quite similar. The sound is identical. The video looks identical on B & W material. The S9 is a dedicated LD player, 8 & 12 inch discs only. The clamping and optics are thus optimized for big discs. The colour blows past the 99, it's way more Vivid, less bleeding. Even reds sit nearly stille. I had to get a step-down transformer as it feeds on a 100 volt diet.

I wanted to get the vaunted HLD-X9, but I could not justify the $2700 delivered price. My on-line buds in Hong Kong told me the S9 was very close to the X9. codefreedvd.com is selling HLD-X9s right now. They want more $! Around $3500! Their machines may be modified as they claim dual voltage of 100 & 110.

I stille covet an X-9, I shouldn't. The S9 is great. It's tweaked my LD collection, so to speak. The LD-G feature is nothing to get excited about. I have two Japanese music LDs but they gave no graphics. So, I really don't use it even for SWPM. It superimposes the English over the Japanese, you can often see the edges of the Japanese sticking out.

Jason, nobody over here got SWPM for 35-$40. The cheapest places sold it for $90 + shipping. I paid $99.95 delivered price. $110 is/was the typical price. To get one for less, e-bay is your best shot. This is the best 5.1 track I have heard. It beats any of my DTS stuff. It has changed my mind about the notion that DTS is always better. I set up EX last spring too. I had an amplifier and extra speakers on hand. I experimented using an old Sony Pro-Logic pre to matrix out the rear center. It was noisey, but well demonstrated the effect. I then aqquired the Smart Jr. EX add-on proccessor. SWPM is an EX clinic! I use a single rear speaker in my pint-size living room theatre. Well, there are fly-bys from one centre to the other. During the pod race the sound of the pods repeatedly go from FC to RC to RS, quickly I might add! It's wow stuff! I've had quite a few quests over to screen it, impressed is today's word.

The S9 really plays the disc well too, I might add. The 99 plays it OK. The reds are a touch orange on the 99 and a tad less stable. I know the video s/n performance is higher for the S9, it's obvious, I don't know by how much. Surely 1, maybe by 2 db. The 99's is 52 db. I have about 10 LDs from 1985-87 that really are poorly mastered. The S9 plays them better too.

My guess is that the 925 delivers 49 or 50 db. I'm told it's about like an average U.S. player, so that's where it would fall. I'm told the 925 won't cut video noise as well as a CLD-704. So, it's atleast a tad noisey. I understand that the sound is quite good, though.

The Japanese kept the best players at home mostly. I think they were peeved with the U.S. for not taking Hi-Vision (Muse). In the early t mid 90's they quit sending their best players to the U.S. The top players were all Muse capable. I suppose they couldn't be bothered to make export models sans Muse capability, at that point. The top Japanese players were all dedicated LD players. The combi players were all down their line. In their line, a player similar to the 99 is just below the S9. Some of the cheaper players were sans the graphics feature. Well, I believe I've rambled more than enough! The graphics feature isn't much, but the Japanese players' performance is. Best wishes and salutations cats!

------------------

11. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No way I'm paying £100 for a movie on LD and a mediocre one at that. I paid about £80 for the US version of the Trilogy, so what's with this £100 for one movie? Having spent as much as £40 for movies on LD before the advent of DVD, I'm none too pleased at finding 4 of them (in particular Contact) with laser rot. I'd complain to the supplier but I can't imagine getting any joy after 3 years. Eraser (NTSC) is almost unwatchable and the sound breaks up too. Have to get the DVD now.
    I still love to play those big discs on my '925s (I load them both up so I don't have to get up in the middle to change a disc). You just don't get the same feeling putting a 5" disc in. Sorry I know it's the quality that matters but it looks so impressive when you load up a 12" silver disc.

12. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    MJ, I bet all your defective LDs came from the Sony plant in Indiana. It's notorious.

------------------

13. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Sorry this is off key but interesting, not one of my faulty discs is in PAL, those that are faulty are mostly from the same distributor, now I've lost the beginning of Fifth Element (head in hands) and I've just noticed a strong following of LD on av science forum. Long live LD except obviously not in my case.

14. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Laser rot is a problem I've largely escaped MJ, just lucky I didn't buy too may that came from the Indiana plant....

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rachael Bitchlist (edited 23-10-2000).]

15. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    MJ, Analogueaddict's posts over at AVS have described how to find the code that tells where the disc was pressed. Of my 8 known (out of 638) ill discs, all but one came from Indiana. The CONTACT DVDs have problems too, I hope that makes you feel some better! Hail to the big discs! I luvs them too! Best wishes and saluttions!

------------------

16. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Rachael,

Thanks for the info very interesting. I'm not surprised that our European players were below par. It's part of the reason I bought my DVD from abroad.

Dave.

17. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Dave, we've had quite alot of discussion over on AVS Forum about LD players. Several Brits gave me my limited info about European players. Some dudes from Hong Kong jump started my intrest in Japanese players. I'm glad I got the S9. I've been envious of one of my Hong Kong bud's DVD player for quite some time. He's had the Pioneer AX10 DVD-A/SACD/ DVD-Video region-free player. He's had it for nearly a year! It is going to arrive on other shores soon, suposedly. The Orient beats us all for getting the latest, cool electronics. The LD player spent me out, or I would of ordered an AX10 myself. the grass is always greener in Yokohama, I think. Thanks for the kind words! Best wishes!

------------------

18. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    638 is quite a collection! That must have cost you more than my whole system. Am I correct in saying that the DVD problems are to do with layer parting?

19. Rachael Bitchlist

Rachael Bitchlist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    MJ, I got into LD back in 1987. I've been nearly VHS free since then. It is mucho dinero, but it's spread out over a long time. I did purchase quite a few of them second-hand. If I had bought VHS, what would I have now? Fuzz proably! As much as folks say they hate flippers, the day may come when they hate dual layer DVDs. I've heard a great many people say their CONTACT DVD won't play past the layer change. I'm gonna get mine out and see sometime soon. I hope this problem is going to be isolated to a few early discs. Good gosh, the majority of DVDs are dual layer these days. DVDs are every bit as prone to laser rot as LDs. I've chatted with a guy in Singapore who says he's had a half dozen DVDs rot already, CONTACT was on his list. I sure hope that's an isolated thing. But, CONTACT reports are comming in from all over. If DVDs cloud up over time, dual layers could prove to be a curse. Let's hope not! Best wishes!

------------------

20. hank hill

hank hill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  21. MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    WHOOO I just got that LD from Ebay and the guy had two so me and my mate now have one.

They are both mint and still raped up in there original sealed packing.

The one on ebay was £71 and the other was £70.

So thanks Hank Hill for the link you have made two big Star Wars fans very very happy.

Can anyone tell me how the bit with the subtitles works ?

I.e. when the pod guy talks is there English and Japanese subtitles or just Japanese ?

Plus can you cut the Japanese subtitles off with a WS TV.

Does anyone know how many of the LD were printed ?

How collectable do you guys think these are, do you think that they will be worth a lot in a few years ? or do you think it will be worth 10p when the DVD comes out.

But what ever they are worth it will be nice to say you have a Rare Star Wars LD imported from Japan (In smug mode) he he.

Christmas has come early roll on Episode 2

Steve

22. Watto

Watto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Steve,

You only get the japanese subtitles (on a european player anyway), so no english when the alien languages are spoken I'm afraid.

As for moving the subtitles off screen that depends on your ws set. My old set never had that feature so I used to use the incredibly technical "black piece of card against screen" technique (instructions available via the blue peter website!)

However on my new set there's no problem, just select the zoom mode and use the arrow keys to edge the subs off the screen (also very cool on the old trilogy as I can now edge the picture up and SEE the alien subtitles). Should be easy to find out whether your set has this feature.

As for collectability, I don't think the discs were limited although I have heard that there are different dolby trailers on them so there must have been several pressings.

There'll always be a price for star wars stuff though, as long as you've got the player there'd always be a market although the DVDs will kick the bottom out of the prices. But who'd sell?

23. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no problem
    ( i was hank hill until balde killed me)

it is rare to find people who enjoyed the film, i thought it was great and am only sad i don't own a copy

------------------
    'This one's got a bad mmooooooooooooooooootivaaaaaaator (in a very camp voice)'

24. Watto

Watto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny you say that about the "Menace", I know loads of people who liked it but after it got such a cynical panning they went quiet.

Have to admit, I did type about how I liked the movie at the end of my post but I then deleted it myself as I didn't want to get into one of those arguments again! (my biggest criticism is that the plotline was a virtual repeat of ROTJ, but both films are a lot of fun).

As for the japanese versions of the trilogy, well if I didn't already own the US dolby digital versions I'd probably end up giving in and "splurging". Can't see a better, ie DVD, version of the trilogy being released this side of 2002 (episode II release).

I don't know how much it'd cost to ship a box set like that from japan though, could be pretty expensive...

25. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a couple of places I have found selling it for $195 plus shipping (from the US of course)...so, compared to The Phantom Menace LD I think it is quite reasonably priced.

I just can't seem to make my Wife undersatand that even though I allready have the Triolgy on VHS three times and on LD twice I still dont have a Dolby Digital version !!!!

------------------

26. Watto

Watto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jason,
    Have you considered settling for a second hand version?

Places like e-bay and yahoo sometimes have them (although they can fetch quite a price if a couple of die hard fans are sniping for them, decide what you're willing to pay and bid dead late) and you could get lucky and get them for cheaper than the new japanese versions (especially considering you won't have to add on international postage).

Ok, they won't be new but at least they won't have forced japanese subtitles. Plus they're "usually" in pretty good condition as laserdisc owners worship those big discs(!)

Check out ebay, you might just be lucky...

27. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I enjoyed it !!

I have got into this arguement avew too many times though, so I will get of the subject of wether it was a 'good or bad' movie.

On another note, how many of you are thinking about buying the re-released trilogy LD from Japan??

I am trying to persaude the Wife to get me it as a Crhistmas prezzy...can't see it happeneing though.

------------------

28. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    saw a special edition box set AC3 go on amazon for about £50 a week or two ago
    i was really ****ed, cos' i'd just ordered a bunch of dvds and could not afford it as a result.
    prices seem to be coming down a bit now, away from the unrealistic £200 some people have tried to pull at auction.

------------------

29. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    For those interested in getting the
    SW Spec Edition LD from Japan...

try www.cdjapan.co.jp

$130 + shipping.. great firm .. never had any probs.. I got the Dune TV Version from them a while ago.. I amwaiting to see if the quality of the sound/image has been improved before I purchase (as I already have the US Trilogy on LD).

Funny enough the only reason I went out and bought a LG player was because I picked up the trilogy in London for £60 quid.. now I have about 40 discs....

Matt

[This message has been edited by Matt Horne (edited 27-11-2000).]

30. Jesus H

Jesus H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cdjapan.co.jp, also sells episode one on ld, for 52 pounds + shipping which seems very cheap.. Might get meself one

------------------

member formerly known as hank hill