Quantcast

Question Phantom Doctrine and Xcom/Xcom2 turn based type games & recommendations.

nero0410

Distinguished Member
I've just noticed there's not thread about this game, and I'm wondering if it's any good?

It's currently on sale for £7.74 on Steam.

It has mixed reviews and I love the style of the gameplay as it's quite akin to Xcom, but more of a information gathering and stealth one.

I've been looking for more like Xcom/Xcom 2 and just bought the DLC for Xcom 2 Which is also on sale. It's proving difficult to find decent turn based stuff that looks any good, so any recommendations would be good too :)

aslird

I've just noticed there's not thread about this game, and I'm wondering if it's any good?

It's currently on sale for £7.74 on Steam.

It has mixed reviews and I love the style of the gameplay as it's quite akin to Xcom, but more of a information gathering and stealth one.

I've been looking for more like Xcom/Xcom 2 and just bought the DLC for Xcom 2 Which is also on sale. It's proving difficult to find decent turn based stuff that looks any good, so any recommendations would be good too :)
Take a look at Pheonix Point (Epic only currently) It is due out soon and is developed by ex-XCOM devs.
Another two to take a look at are BattleTech and Mutant Road to Zero

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Take a look at Pheonix Point (Epic only currently) It is due out soon and is developed by ex-XCOM devs.
Another two to take a look at are BattleTech and Mutant Road to Zero
Thank you, that's brilliant!

Mutant Road to Zero looks hilarious and really good fun to play and Phoenix Point looks a worthy 'successor' to Xcom type games. Definitely must have's for me :) Now to try and find them as cheap as I can :D

I think I saw Mutant Road to Zero on sale on steam, I'll have to check. It's got the 'deluxe edition' on cd keys for £18 at the moment, but it states the contents include the fan edition stuff and not the dlc, so that's confusing.

I see the pre order for Phoenix Point is £60.. pretty steep. Does include 5 upcomging DLC's and some other bonus' though.
(Epic only currently)
Does that mean another game launcher?
I've not been buying games much over the past 4-5years or so, so I'm not all clued up again with everything yet.

Battletech reminds me a bit of Front Mission.. I'm not sure it's quite up there with it, or if it's a lot more in depth with micro-management.

next010

Distinguished Member
Yeah Epic Games is using their Fortnite money to strong arm their way into the PC store market, paying out up to 10 million to some devs for exclusivity, I can understand its hard to turn down that kind of money.

Phoenix Point is very interesting as it has original old school 1990's X-Com creator at the helm but also taking lessons from modern X-Com remakes.

I did not particularly enjoy the Battletech game, cant put my finger on it and I was a BT universe fan.

Steamworld heist is a very casual turn based combat game, a fun distraction, there are a bunch of games set in this universe all different.

There were numerous attempts at re-capturing the spirit of X-Com before the modern remake but I've forgotten all the names, I don't see them on Steam under the turn based strategy tag. One attempt at cloning retro X-Com is Xenonauts, this was actually released after modern X-Com came out but it may not to be everyone taste.

From way back in the day there is Fallout Tactics, there is also a new PC Gears Tactics game in development which is pretty much modern X-Com in Gears universe, was meant to be released in 2019 but where nearing the end and there has been no PR push at all, most likely next year I suspect.

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Ah, so that's where it sprung from. Heard a lot about fortnight and watched a bit of it, certainly not my thing. Too many of those types of games about these days.

Yes! Phoenix Point looks great to me! You can tell it's taken a lot from Enemy Unknown and X-Com 2, then improved in a lot of various aspects. I watched some gameplay, combat and boss combat videos, right up my street. £60 for a game with the season pass now though! :eek:
I remember when it was about £40 max for pc, unless it was boxed along with a book, mouse mat, soundtrack cd, etc.. Getting quite nuts.
That was back in the days of not paying over a fiver for a game in a steam sale, 65%+ off or not buying.. still have a lot to play through, but really dug back into turn based games these days.

I managed to pick up Battletech from the classifieds for £4 with a couple of dlc's. Thought it'd be worth a punt at that price point. I'll give it a blast sometime over the next few days.

I've spotted Steamworld Heist, a little too casual for me.

Haha, yes, I've seen a few of the X-Com clones, they don't quite cut it for me. Xenonauts is quite close to the original, and I think it spawned a sequel?

I have Fallout Tactics, used to like that back in the day, not keen on Gears Tactics so far; will have to keep an eye on how it pans out.

uncleclives

Planet Fall might be worth checking out it's a mixture of Civ type strategy with Xcom style combat.

Another game which is not turn based but might be something you would enjoy is Shadow Tactics. (included with xbox games pass for PC)

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Planet Fall might be worth checking out it's a mixture of Civ type strategy with Xcom style combat.

Another game which is not turn based but might be something you would enjoy is Shadow Tactics. (included with xbox games pass for PC)
Planet Fall I'm keeping my eye on, not sure about that one yet. Will check out Shadow Tactics though for sure.

One other I forgot about is Empire of Sin, coming next year, John Romero of Doom/Wolf/Quake fame is also working on this.
Now that looks right up there, couldn't shove it on my wish list fast enough ;) Thank you.

nero0410

Distinguished Member
I've gone through Xcom, Xcom Enemy Within, Xcom 2 and now going through Xcom 2 War of the Chosen.. thoroughly enjoying them!

I did buy Phantom Doctrine in the Steam sale when it was just over £7.... then found it came in my humble! So I've just shoved it up in the classifieds for a fiver.
It's definitely one of my fave turn based games after Xcom, I love the Stealth, sleeper agents, gaining clues and intel etc.. it's quite deep and engaging :)

I really want to buy 'Phoenix Point' (The Xcom Team are behind it and it looks really good!), the £60 edition that includes the future DLC's, but I was hoping for a Steam release so it went with my other games.
They signed a year long exclusive deal with Epic though, so it's only available on Epic Games Store for a year before they release it on Steam or anywhere else.
From what I've seen of the gameplay it's very much like Xcom on steroids, with squad sizes up to 16, ability to target different parts of the body of the enemies, vehicles, big bosses, etc.. It does seems to need a bit of polish here and there, but the same can be said for most games these days.

£60 is quite a price hike in terms of what pc gamers are used to pay out though, I'm not sure I've paid over £40 for a game with all content for years! It was also meant to be released on the Microsoft store at the same time, including xbox game pass, but due to Microsofts terms, they would have only released the base game, not the dlc. So they want to wait to make sure all the stuff is able to be released before they enter a contract with them. I think it might be a 'wait for a sale' type game due to the price and silly exclusivivity rubbish.

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Found one called 'Ram Pressure' also coming in 2020 that looks pretty good:

Will keep an eye on that one :)

nero0410

Distinguished Member
Found these that look interesting, Hard West and Shadowrun Returns (which has a couple of sequels) all pretty cheap on Steam:

No base management that I can see, but turn based play and don't look too bad.

Still going through X-Com 2: War of the Chosen and then there's the Long War mods for both X-Com games that change them a fair bit, adding in new talents, items, enemies and making the games a little more difficult to beat. I'm not a fan of 'Iron Man' mode, but I guess it gives some replay value and to take more care of your squad.