Phablet or LTE tablet.

Discussion in 'Tablets Forum' started by hype_male, Jun 23, 2015.

1. hype_male

hype_male

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have heard that the likes of samsung tab 8.4 t705 can be used as a tablet and as a smartphone to make / receive call, what's app, text messages. It then occurs to me that tablet and smart phone are essentially the same thing and since am thinking of buying a new smartphone my thinking is to sell my current tab s 10.5 and get instead a phablet or LTE tablet.

Phatblet wise I am thinking of huawei p8 max 6.8", huawei mate 7 (6"), oppo r7 plus (6") or samsung tab s 8.4 LTE.

The thing that is making my decision hard is that while the tab s 8.4 has a super amoled stunning screen, it's only has 8 /2 megapixel camera whereas the phablet in mentioned above have 13 / 5 megapixel camara but only full hd screen. Correct me if I am wrong but I think the more megapixel the better the picture.

What do you guys think, phat let or LTE tablet.

2. mmurdoch

mmurdoch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Have you considered the Note 3 or Note 4 from Samsung.

3. hype_male

hype_male

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    No I have not considered the note 3 and 4. Is there any particular reasons to consider the note 3 and 4 over huawei p8 max or the LTE 8.4 tab s.

Has anyone heard of oppo r7 plus or le tv one max phablet.

4. mmurdoch

mmurdoch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Good phablet in my opinion if that's what your after. Not herd of the other one you mentioned is it any good

5. jlm32

jlm32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    The wife's got the tab s 8.4 LTE coming from a Samsung mega 6.3,
    & the size difference is massive to the point where she might sell her 10.1 note.
    When it comes to the camera mega pixels help but the lens & maybe the software play a big part in the quality of the picture.
    We looked at the note 3 & 4 but with the screen sizes only 5.7 just to small.
    The Huawei p8 max looks a good size at 6.8 might be able to fit in a pocket .
    Just comes down to personal taste, screen size - camera - os - manufacturer - etc.

6. hype_male

hype_male

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Has your wife manage to use the tab s 8.4 LTE as a phone yet. If so what is the call quality like? Is she able to use calling minutes data on her sim to call or is she only able to call when connected to the Internet.
    Am surprised that your wife went from a huge 6.3 mega to a even bigger 8.4 tab s. Usually women like compact thing but I guess not all women are the same.

The huawei p8 max and the tab s 8.4 are definitely the two devices on my wish list for that phone and tablet experience. My only down fall of the huawei p8 max is that it is only 1080p, (though I have not been able to demo one in person to see how good or bad the screen is at full hd) but it has a massive 6.8 screen and camara spec 13 / 5 megapixel. Whilst the tab s 8.4 LTE is even bigger and with 2k super amoled screen, it's the 8/2 megapixel on its camara that let's it down for me.
    See this see to see the camara shot of the huawei p8 max younger brother known as the p8.
    Huawei P8 (No Upfront Cost) - 300 Mins, 5000 texts, 500MB data £9.50/mth. 24 mth contract. Total £228.00. iD Mobile (CPW) - Hot UK Deals - Page 5

7. jlm32

jlm32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    She's blind as a bat so needs a big phone :D plus only go's out to her mum & sisters.
    But we have a 4.5 inch windows phone as a backup so can always take the sim out & will fit any handbag she wants :rolleyes:.

As for the screen it is really good, but saying that full HD on 6.8 inch screen can't be too bad can it.

& yes can make calls texts whatapp just like a normal phone.
    I spoke to carphone warehouse in the shop & phone & they both said
    Will only make calls useing data through apps like viper whatapp etc which is bullsh**.

The deal above looks very good we paid £329 for the tab s LTE & £5 for 500 mins 250mb & unlimited text with virgin sim only.

I think when I was looking all the contracts were data only deals which started at £20 upwards so that's the reason we bought outright.

8. hype_male

hype_male

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    That's strange as I too asked a staff of EE and she told me that one can call direct from the 8.4 LTE using mins from sim card inserted. Staff in phone shops chat rubbish some times. Do me a favour and kindly as your wife to try to make calls on her tab s 8.4 LTE using the minutes from her virgin. Let me know please if it works.

I guess I have been spoiled by the stunning screen on my tab s wifi only 10.5.

9. jlm32

jlm32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    It works like a phone had data switched off when we tried it in the car going home l

10. jlm32

jlm32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
  11. hype_male

hype_male

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks for this, you are a legend. Nice to finally clear up the issue of whether or not minutes on sim card can be used to make call.

I don't know why many people including myself didn't go for the 8.4 LTE version instead of getting the wifi 10.5 version. It's big enough to use as tablet and a lot cheaper than smartphone.

What is the camera like your your wife LTE version for still pictures and videos.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  12. jlm32

jlm32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Your welcome ,Not sure how the pics & video are,
    but will try it against my iPhone 6 plus tomorrow if I have time.

13. Lleyton

Lleyton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    jlm32
    thanks for the video, just ordered the 8.4 LTE model from Amazon for £311 ... hoping it is not the Italian model some buyers mention.
    Do you need a data sim or will an ordinary mobile sim do the job.

My Nexus 7 Lte needed a data sim but that couldn't make any calls texts.

14. jlm32

jlm32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Just a normal sim the wife's on virgin sim only 500 mins 250 mb & unlimited texts.
    Got mine from Samsung shop at Bradford £329 but somehow it came with a carphone warehouse receipt :confused:

good price @ £311 As long as it's a European model.
    Was looking at Amazon but some of the firms addresses were showing Hong Kong & usa so was a bit worried so decided to buy local.

15. Lleyton

Lleyton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144

Cheers mate, only bought from Amazon for there returns and prime membership. I had the 8.4 pro when first released and wasn't a fan of the software (prefer nexus for stock Android).

Will fire off an email to Samsung UK to confirm it is a EU model as my last 8.4 was a HK tablet.

thanks for the help.

16. hype_male

hype_male

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Holding 8.4" to the ear to answer or make call is obviously not a good look. Is there any device recommendations to prevent one haven't to hold the huge screen to the ear. I am thinking a smart watch is the way to go as when connected to the 8.4" calls be answered or made from the watch. Likewise, incoming messages can be replied to on the watch without getting the huge screen out all the time except when consuming media. I am also considering smart watch because some watches also have sim card slot that I can use as a second phone or use as a only phone on days I don't feel like taking my tab s t705 out and about.

Any thoughts.

17. mmurdoch

mmurdoch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    What SIM card does it accept, cracking video by the way
    Sorry just checked is a micro shame only bloody Apple use nano.

18. Lleyton

Lleyton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    yeah micro sim, can get sim card adapters (nano - micro sim) for about a quid and do the job perfect.

Received my Tab S today and going from a Nexus 9 there is quite a difference, the Tab S doesn't feel as smooth as the Nexus 9, firefox seems quite sluggish ... this was only after a quick 10 minute use ... would be a cracking tablet with stock android.

19. mmurdoch

mmurdoch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Used adapters in past when swapping between the note 3/4 - Iphone
    Tbh I would only use as a tablet as my 6+ is the dogs

20. Lleyton

Lleyton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    you were right mate, confirmed with Samsung that I received an Asia model, have reordered from Samsung as Amazon confirmed they don't sell the Tab S only resellers ... will return back to Amazon next week.

21. HeavenlyWarrior

HeavenlyWarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +306
    Have a look at the ikwear ik8, might be what you're looking for

22. hype_male

hype_male

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Back again guys with a galaxy note smart phone in mind this time instead of the 8.4 inches LTE Sm-t705 tablet I was thinking of getting before to use as a tablet and phone. With a big 5.7 inches screen on the galaxy note, would I miss not having a tablet for its size funtionality or do you guys think a separate tablet for home use is needed. I ask your advice because if I was to get a galaxy note phone and a tablet of say 8 to 10 inches, there isn't much of size difference to 5.7 inch on the galaxy note. Unless i get something in the large display boundary and my options could be:
    1. Get a galaxy note pro 12.2 or lenovo 13.3 tablet.
    2. Mirror a galaxy note screen on a 55 inches tv or touch screen portable monitor between 13 to 15.6 inches
    3. Buy an android mini pc box and connect it to a touch screen monitor or a 55 inches tv.

Which option do you guys think is the best option.