PH9 + ISCAN HD + Freeview - Help?

RockSteddie

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Have recently purchased a Panny TH-42PH9 and think it's a cracking display except when it comes to watching Freeview on it. Now I think I do sit a bit too close to the screen being only just over 2.5 ft away (odd room shape problem) and I don't know if it is my imagination but the qaulity of the freeview image seems to have degraded somewhat of late. I now get a lot of noise / dotcrawl around the edges of people's faces and txt and it has become really distracting and I'm sure it wasn't as bad when I first got the panel.

All other input types are fantastic, DVD's are great (just a standard progressive player) and Xbox360 looks awsome on it.

So my question is.... I might be able to get my hands on a 2nd hand ISCAN HD and was wondering if it would sort out my Freeview viewing? I would love to buy a more modern / new scaler but after purchasing the panel my funds will not strecth to it.

If the ISCAN will suit my needs what would be the best way to connect it to the PH9 bearing in mind that I have the 360 connected via the VGA port and freeview box to a component terminal board?

As always I look forward to any replies (hopefully) :D

Thanks,

Eddie

Hi All,

Have recently purchased a Panny TH-42PH9 and think it's a cracking display except when it comes to watching Freeview on it. Now I think I do sit a bit too close to the screen being only just over 2.5 ft away (odd room shape problem) and I don't know if it is my imagination but the qaulity of the freeview image seems to have degraded somewhat of late. I now get a lot of noise / dotcrawl around the edges of people's faces and txt and it has become really distracting and I'm sure it wasn't as bad when I first got the panel.

All other input types are fantastic, DVD's are great (just a standard progressive player) and Xbox360 looks awsome on it.

So my question is.... I might be able to get my hands on a 2nd hand ISCAN HD and was wondering if it would sort out my Freeview viewing? I would love to buy a more modern / new scaler but after purchasing the panel my funds will not strecth to it.

If the ISCAN will suit my needs what would be the best way to connect it to the PH9 bearing in mind that I have the 360 connected via the VGA port and freeview box to a component terminal board?

As always I look forward to any replies (hopefully) :D

Thanks,

Eddie

Not sure about you main question, but get that xbox back onto comnponent, much better picutre:smashin:

2.5feet?!! Wow. Good job you got a nice screen! How's the suntan going? ;)

I don't think the HD is likely to do much for noise reduction (maybe one of the mosquito boxes would help with that) and its deinterlacer isn't likely to be much better than the PH9's to be honest. I think it uses an SiI504.

What's the DVD connected to? another component board?

2.5feet?!! Wow. Good job you got a nice screen! How's the suntan going? ;)

I don't think the HD is likely to do much for noise reduction (maybe one of the mosquito boxes would help with that) and its deinterlacer isn't likely to be much better than the PH9's to be honest. I think it uses an SiI504.

What's the DVD connected to? another component board?

LOL, suntan is coming on nicely thank you :)

Yeah the DVD is going to another component board.

Do you think the amont of noise etc I am seeing is normal for this Panel, even at this close a distance?

I used to have a PW7 at the same viewing distance and never had any problems with it at all, the freeview picture was supurb!

Well, the PWD7 would have been downscaling the Freeview picture slightly which may have helped soften the noise? But upscaling will always be more difficult, the tradeoff of course being that the 360 / HD picture is that much better

Yeah that is true though it is a shame as Freeview is the most watched format on the screen at the moment.

Thanks Choddo! :thumbsup:

That looks perfect though seeing the price in dollars is close to $1,000 even if I could find a UK distributor I wouldn't be able to afford it at the moment :rolleyes:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom