1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PGR2, one thing is REALLY bugging...

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by SilverPenguin7, Jul 18, 2004.

1. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Been playing this for about a week now on and off. It IS a great game in most respects apart from one thing that is bugging me so much I have to let of some steam about it...

Why oh WHY can the AI cars spin you out so easily! It drives me crazy, I mean its bad enough (and at the same time almost fair enough) when your in the middle of everyone on the first corner of a race, I mean to be spun there you can understand. BUT what really gets me is the way if you sometimes just nudge a car in front of you when there is nobody else around it spins you! Also if they nudge you it also spins you very easily if your not careful and that can happen a lot seing as they stick to the racing line regardless of you being there or not, which would be fair if you both had a risk of spinning out but getting them to do so is almost impossible, even if you go out of your way to try. And the other annoying thing is that this 'feature' doesn't always happen, sometimes you can give or take a good solid thump and be fine, it all seems a bit random!

Maybe its just me but its the one thing that ruins an otherwise superb game, that said I am on series before last now and loving it for the most part (only getting silver medals then will go back and try for gold etc).

Oh and one last thing, on the cone challenges how on earth is it possible to get platinum medals!?!? :eek: :)

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I really like this game as well but also agree on the car spinning which annoyed me also. I think it must be 9 out of 10 times when you collide with a car you actually come worse off, even when there is a big pile up the rest of the cars have restarted and you are still left trying to get back on track.

As for the cone challenge on platinum you have to keep the combo going for the entire laps in the rediculously short time limit, i.e it is very hard hence i only have golds for the cone challanges.

3. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I agree this is a very annoying feature of the game, my controllers have become very close to being smashed against a wall becasue the dumb aggressive AI. It can be used to your advantage, especially in head to head challanges where you can win every time by ramming the computer driver into the wall on the first corner and then driving off to an easy victory.

I managed to complete the game on platinum and my tip to win the races is to figure out a way to be in 1st place by the end of lap 1 - this does normally involve some less than gentlemanly driving into the first corner. I found if you try and race in the pack the computer drivers will constantly take you out, letting first place dissapear into the distance.

As inzaman said, cone challenges are all about keeping the compbo going for the entire length of the challenge as the multiplier that you get increases exponentially, eg 1 lap with the combo going may give you 3000 points but by the end of the second lap with the combo going you would be on about 16 000 points. Once I got used to cone challenges I found them one of the most enjoyable parts of the single oplayer game.

Where I found it really hard was hot laps! If you're on live then downloading ghosts and seeing how other people have done it can really help.

4. Lunar Humps

Lunar Humps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Agree with all above. The AI can be unreasonable but does it quench the addiction? Errr..no. This is my favourite driving game ever.

We should thank our lucky stars its not like GT3 AI, or as I would describe it, 'Scalextric'.

SM.

5. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, this really sucks. I have 90% on platinum but have yet to get around to the others due to Toca 2 coming along. The single player races are a farce as you just have to keep starting and piling into the first bend until you come out in front as it's near impossible to overtake an AI car without him running you into the wall, even at his own expense.

The cone challenges are a real challenge. I have done all but the BMW one which I think must be the toughest. IF I recall correctly the Pacific Muscle one is the easiest to get on platinum.

I 'm not sure if I'll go back to PGR2 as I find Toca 2 absorbing, especially online. Guess I prefer racing on real life tracks.

6. Lunar Humps

Lunar Humps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Wow, 90% platinum. Impressive. I was pondering over Toca 2 having read some differing opinions. You sound like someone who knows a good driving game when it comes hurtling round the corner on two wheels.

That's swung it.

7. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    90% on platinum :eek: wow and i thought my 25% on platinum was something to be proud of :blush:

8. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It's just a matter of perseverence. The one on ones are easy and the races are not too bad if you can get to the first corner first. Cone challenges are a matter of working through each gate and working out how to get to the next without dropping the combo, plus seeing if there is a slide or something you can chuck in. The hardest ones are hot laps and timed runs although, again you need to work on each part of the track in turn to find the absolute quickest way through the corners.

Toca I find more satisfying and love the DTM and V8's. The handling is as realistic as PGR2 and finding a good room can lead to some great, fair racing.

9. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +723
    I've personally not noticed to much AI ramming on PGR2, but a mate of mine is always moaning about it, but i've watched him play and he seems to have no sense of spacial awareness, so he think that the AI cars are ramming him, but its him cutting them up, therefore the back of his car spins round in front of him. So maybe its a bit of how you all drive as to how much AI ramming you get, and thats not to say those of you who get rammed alot are bed drivers.

If you need help on getting Platinum(or gold/silver) you may want to check out these videos PGR2 Movies or for something a bit more light hearted try Kudos Racing Club

As for the TOCA thing, i thought it was a really, really good single player game, good career mode etc, but online it was not so good. Nasty collision detection and horrible lag when people override the default capacity setting put me off playing, so i went back to PGR2 which is probably my favorite game of the last 3 years. But to be fair to TOCA i haven't played it since the original 'buzz' of owning the game when every man and dog played it, so i'm sure by now it will have be whittled down to players who race clean and fair, and play the game the right way(i think i'm talking myself into playing online with it again!) But i'm sure someone like Lorenzini will be able to give a more accurate perspective of what TOCA is like now to play online

Oh and just for the record i only have 18 Platinum medals! I just don't have the patience, and possibly the skill, to do them all.

10. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It's on the harder races that you get the ramming really.Try some platinum ones. If you came onto a straight and you got a run on a car who was on the left of the track, you start to overtake and he would just swerve stright into you, taking himself out too!

Anyway, online it's great. Toca is better now although you still get the odd lag merchant or people who just ram you off. It's a case of finding some good people and then the racing is brilliant.

I think they are both superb for online play and for me that's what it's all about so I can forgive PGR2 for the problems.

11. anephric

anephric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    If you think the AI's aggressive in PGR2, do you remember what it was like in PGR? Plus your car had no real mass when you were hit by the AI drivers so you had no hope of recovering: you just span like a top.

At least you can react against the constant banging from behind (*ahem*) in PGR2, and can recover from spins a bit.

Personally I quite like the aggression: makes me feel less guilty when I slam them in the wall (I'm playing the way the game wants me to play, after all).

12. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,730
    I guess AI in driving games has often been their shortcomings - in GT3 the cars are very passive and for the most part they just follow each other around, in PGR2 they are probably overly aggressive and IMO the physics on the cars isn't what it should be as they do spin out a little too easy on contact and their is liitle chance to correct the spin etc. That said, for their shortcomings, both of the above games are still fantastic and come into their own in multiplayer.

Personally I play F1 challenge '99-'02 (and the various mods for it) on the PC as I find this to be a better game than both of the above. That is on the PC though so it's not really fair to compare it to a console game.

13. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    THe Ai on Toca is definately better but it does seem to have the rubber band effect ie. you catch a guy up quickly and pass him. Despite being well faster, he then manages to hang on your bumper for the rest of the race.

It's a shame when you have to resort to ramming them off in single player to win but most games come to this in the end.