PGR2 Live problems

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Stereo Steve, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've been playing Toca2 and GR2 etc. on XBL for ages with no problems. I also used to play PGR2 but I sold it.

Well, a mate of mine is really into it so I picked up a copy and we tried to have a game last night. The problem was we couldn't get into the same game. When I search for games I get about 5 or 6 and most of those won't connect whereas he has no trouble and gets a full screen of games. Invites didn't work.

I tried hosting and a few people joined me so I must be visible.

Any ideas? I looked at the diagnostics and it's all fine regarding MTU, NAT etc.

I'm stumped as to why its not working. A quick go on R6 came up with loads of games that I could join immediately.

2. UncagedTyphoon

UncagedTyphoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    has he got all the new downloads you may not be able to see the game playing these just a guess but hopefully your nt is at 1 this normally the only real prob that can cause this

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    He probably has but I may not. Is there a way to force updates?

4. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    We used to have this issue before the updates, and it was because PGR2 needed extra ports open if certain routers were used. If you and your mate are using a router, put the IP address of your's and your mates xbox's into each router.

5. harrist0

harrist0
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the same problem both with pgr2 and pes4. How do you open ports on your router?

6. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +962
    Colesy has the right answer, and afaik there is now easy fix for this. From my very very limited knoledge of routers you need to goto your routers ip adderss, which will be something like 192.2.1.xxx and have a look at the settings, but don't change anything unless your sure as you could knacker the whole thing.

7. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Relating to this connection issue problem that affects some LIVE games, someone on another forum solved the problem by getting a different I.P. Address. Apparently if the I.P. address are very similar then connection problems can occur.

I don't really know all that much about this sort of stuff, but the proof is in the pudding. Three people I know couldn't connect to him on PES4 before, now we all can . . . . . . .

Maybe someone with some more knowledge will know more. I will PM this guy to try and find out exactly what he done.

Giz.

8. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    My router (Draytek) uses DHCP (or something) and assigns the Xbox an IP every time it's turned on. At the mo it's 192.168.1.17 but it can change. I'm sure there must be a simple explanation for this problem. Anyway, all Live should be able to see is my actual ISP IP address innit?

9. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sorry I missed the word DMZ out of my above post.
    Presumably if you have your Xbox hard wired always to the same port on your router, your router will not give the xbox a different IP addy. You have already done the next step to get your ip addy, but if your friend needs to know here's what to do....To get the xbox ip address just power up the xbox, go to the dashboard under 'network settings' and then 'ip address' you should have your IP address.
    Then enter the router configuration, usually by entering the router ip adress into Internet Explorers address bar, look for the section that has DMZ and input the xbox IP address into it, some routers require you to save and reboot, some just require you to save.
    Hope that helps.

edit: Gizmo's friends probably changed his external IP address i.e. 81.249.xx.xxx, This allows non local area traffic to connect to his pc/xbox etc. The Ip address like 192.168.x.x is the internal.local ip address given by your router to devices such as the pc, xbox etc.
    The external ip adress can change everytime you power off your router if your ISP connection is not supplied a 'static' IP address. I would personally just try the DMZ option.

Apologies if the above is telling you what you know already.

10. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks,

I did the DMZ thing but still getting hardly any games and can't connect to most of those.

11. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The next thing to try is make sure 'UpnP' is enabled on yours and your mates router. I do know that some Draytek routers are not compatible with xbox live, so maybe have a look at updating the firmware to see if that helps. A list of Xbox Live compatible routers is found HERE and some workarounds for routers that also have problems can be found HERE. Just in case your friends router is one of them.

Just for your info some of the games I have found that do use extra ports are Splinter Cell:pT, Burnout 3, R6-BA, RTCW, PGR2. All the other I have played seem to be fine.

HERE is definitely worth a read, that shows what ports are normally used by xbox live, and how to make sure you MTU is set correctly.

12. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hey, thanks mate. I'm in business. Not sure if it was the UNPNP or the ports (UDP 88 and 3074, TCP 3074) that I had to open but it sure did the trick. I looked on the Draytek site and there was a bit of a tutorial there.

That's totally sweet and I can get in many games now very easilly.

Thanks again, shows the strength of the forums as a source of shared info.

You are a gentleman.

Thanks also to everyone else who helped.

13. colesy

colesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm glad it's sorted, but I would leave the xbox in your routers dmz, because many more games will use additional ports. :smashin:

14. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    There is some really useful info at www.portforward.com

I had problems with not being able to hear some people or get into some maps on RS3BA.

Followed the tutorials here and it's fine. There is also some simple background info explaining what IP's are, TCP etc... :lesson: