Pf9986 And Sky Hd Compatibility

P

postmatch

Was on the new Sky HD sight and noticed that they did not list the Philips PF9986 as HD ready.

does anyone have any idea whether we can use this set once the sky HD set comes out

nnicol

It was released before the standards were set. It will work by using a HDMI to DVI adapter or HDMI to DVI lead or even using component leads. It will work with SKY HD yes.

chambeaj

The DVI port on the 9986 does not support HDCP. Consequently some SKY HD channels/programmes where HDCP has been enforced will not be viewable (i.e. just snow!) via the sets DVI interface.

As for the component interface. Once again if a programme/channel enforces HDCP then the component interface will only provide a standard definition signal (i.e. Hi-Def downscaled to 720x480).

Upcoming Hi-def sources such as Blu-ray & HD-DVD will enforce HDCP.

jimsan

Novice Member
chambeaj said:
The DVI port on the 9986 does not support HDCP. Consequently some SKY HD channels/programmes where HDCP has been enforced will not be viewable (i.e. just snow!) via the sets DVI interface.

As for the component interface. Once again if a programme/channel enforces HDCP then the component interface will only provide a standard definition signal (i.e. Hi-Def downscaled to 720x480).

Upcoming Hi-def sources such as Blu-ray & HD-DVD will enforce HDCP.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, I think you could be wrong there. According to my literature, the DVI connection is fully 'HDMI compatible.' Thus implying it is HDCP enabled. The 9976 certainly is and that TV has the same connectivity as the 9986.

Jimmy

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom