1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PF2 with Panasonic Tube?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by bazzae123, Sep 18, 2003.

Tags:
  1. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed today that my new PF2 has a Panasonic tube fitted, or I think it is as it has the two dots. I'm note sure if this is a good thing or not but one thing I can say is the picture is not as sharp as I expected it to be. Sometimes it can look quite blurry and a bit grainy. My old Tosh had a Philips/LG tube fitted and I'm sure the picture was a lot sharper and more natural looking.
    Any comments please.

Bazza

2. EasyTiger

EasyTiger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When my PF2 was delivered the other week the Toshiba guy said it was a panasonic tube.

3. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    That's naughty of them as they advertise the set as having a "Toshiba Microfilter Tube".

4. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Its not naughty...

Toshiba specify the tube construction etc and then get manufacturers to make them , philips, orion, and evidently Panasonic... so the tube is made using Toshiba's microfilter design, its just got a Panny sticker on it!!!

This is very common with most manufacturers. However this does not mean that a PD30 and ZP38 share the same tube... design wise these will be very different..

5. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    But then does that not make it a Toshiba tube?

Most of the talk on this forum about tubes being from different manufacturers is where Company A uses Company B's tubes. For example Loewe use Philips' tubes and Philips have used Panasonic tubes. They are "borrowed" tubes and are never claimed to be made by the Company selling the set.

6. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    hmm..

"Toshiba Microfilter" is a design.. it is very common for any manufacturer in any industry to have its 'design' made by a third party, yet still refer to this product by its own name.. the fact that this is panasonic (if indeed it is) in this case should not be confused with Panasonic TV's..... (although perhaps Panasonic would love to use the design themselves?)

In fact most products these days are produced in Taiwan and the ROC (Republic of China).. to a manufacturers design, does this mean that if Panasonic had their surround sound speakers made by Wing Chan industries, that Panasonic can't use the term, "the TV is supplied with Panasonic Rear Speakers"...

I suspect that if Loewe claim they are using a Toshiba tube, this will mean its a Toshiba Design of tube....

;)