1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PF2 Picture quality as a whole?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by bazzae123, Sep 14, 2003.

1. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having read all the threads on the PF2 and understanding the comments regarding the Green smears can anybody let me know what the picture quality is like in general. The reason being I'm returning my PD30 due to either a dull looking picture or the whites look like their going to burn a whole in the screen. I understand the PF2 has a very natural looking picture but would like some comments on the general appearance of the picture.

Bazza

2. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Have you not seen the picture for yourself? It amazes me that anyone would spend that amount on anything without checking it out with there own eyes.
    All the recent Tosh sets have great pictures. You've just gotta hope that you don't have any of the numerous faults that result from there shoddy quality control.

3. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Certainly I've seem it for my own eyes but you show mw a shop where I can see one in its true light and I'd gladly go along with you. I looked at hundreds of TV's in my quest for a decent picture, played with all the settings and annoyed numerous sales staff with my constant changing this and changing that but in a shop the pictures are no where near as good as in your own home with the correct lightly etc. I bet no one ever saw the green smears on a tosh in any shop demo.

In was looking for a more general " what do you think of the picture" from the numerous Tosh owners rather than "it's got green smears".

4. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I did:) I had them on my Strata and when considering the PF2 it was the first thing i looked for in the shop. Like i say, the PF2 and the Stratas have a great picture, it is just a question of how tolerant you are if you receive a set when any of the Toshiba quirks.
    Demoing can be difficult, but you do need to take your own DVD player, cables and some films you know well down to a store. A copy of Avia or something with THX Optimode is also a good idea. Some sales staff can be reluctant to help, but just be firm and remind them how many x thousands this set costs. You wouldn't buy a car without a thorough test drive now!
    Lighting can be an issue but you should still easily see whether a set is any good or not.

5. bazzae123

bazzae123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed M8.

I took my copy of Avia and checked out both the PD30 and PF2. I found both of these next to each other in Hughes so I had a good comparison. The only difference was they were both 36" sets but in a way that was good as these units are more likely to show up any quality issues. Both pictures looked the same when comparing DVD's but the tosh did have a purity problem with a blue smudge down one side. Terrestrial was crap on both but this was down to the multi feed antenna. I decided to go for the PD30 and had it delivered last week. The picture quality was no where near as good as my old Tosh 32ZD08. The picture was dull and lifeless or the other extreme where the whites were blinding and the blacks overpowering. Try as I might I couldn't get a decent setting.
    I'm having the PD30 replaced with the PF2 tomorrow so hopefully things improve. At present even the wife has commented on the poor picture quality of the PD30 and believe me that's saying something.

A engineer did come round from the retailer and agreed that the picture wasn't that good. However, he did make me laugh as he said it was a real same that a lot of people buy these bigger sets after upgrading from an old 4:3 model and really notice the difference and think their great, but, if you've already owned a larger screen size and change it for a different model you can really notice the difference in quality from one model to another. I had to agree.

Bazza

6. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Agree about the PD30. I spent alot of time with four different sets and found numerous points that i didn't like about the picture.
    Maybe there is a large faulty batch.
    If you are after a 36" then your choices are limited. If you get a good Tosh then you will be certainly be very happy with it. After the days i have wasted getting my sets swapped out time after time i personally wouldn't touch Toshiba again. Loewe is the only brand i will ever go for in the foreseeable future. You certainly get what you pay for.
    Good luck.