1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PF2 (36ZP38) Picture Modes???

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by rcladin, Nov 21, 2003.

1. rcladin

rcladin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all

Just got myself a PF2, quite happy with it.

but a few questions

There is no detailed info in the manual about Picture modes 1,2,3

Seen comments on here saying that picture mode 3 is very good
    with contrast/brightness values set to 44/56/45/0/-10

i.e. contrast/brightness/colour/tint/sharpness.

It appears that when i change these values it defaults back the Presonal Picture Mode and Pic Mode 3 reverts to default values.

Am i going wrong here, do i need to alter setting in the service menu? if so how do i get into the service menu for 36zp38, i'm sure i've seen it detailed on this forum before but cant find it for the life of me

thanks for any help!

-rc

2. bananaman

bananaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Could be wrong, here, but I'll have a go!

I think that picture modes 1, 2 and 3 are fixed - you can't change them. However, mode M is for your personal settings.
    The reason people say use picture mode 3 is that there are none of the 'picture-enhancing' effects on this mode - they are all turned off. What happens when you alter the settings on picture mode 3 is that the settings of mode 3 are all transferred to picture mode M and saved as your personal settings, but picture mode 3 itself will remain unchanged.

I've probably expalined that badly!! What I mean is that as soon as you alter something in mode 3, these settings are transferred and saved to mode M - mode 3 remains untouched. Mode 3 is 'better' as all the fancy stuff is turned off.

I'm sure someone can explain that a bit better - you'd be pushed to explain it any worse!!

3. rcladin

rcladin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks bananaman,

your secret is safe with me! lol

do you know of any link or source that explains the different picture modes in more detail as the manual is not thorough enough.

Thanks again.

-rc

4. bananaman

bananaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Unfortunately not, I'm afraid.

I only found out about this from this forum while I was doing my research before dipping into the perilous world of 36" CRTs!!

As you've found, the manual included with the TV is severely lacking when it comes to giving away details about what each mode does. Is there nothing on Tosh's own website - I know when I was looking for details about the telly, there were clcikable links for some of the features which took you to pages giving more detail.

Failing that, maybe try some of the reviews of the TV online, places like;
    www.homecinemachoice.com
    www.whatvideotv.com
    etc..

Good luck!!