1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PF1 - Should I send it back?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by sjgill, May 18, 2003.

1. sjgill

sjgill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just got a Picture frame 1 TV Saturday as I can't quite afford a picture frame 2 and could not wait any longer for a 36" tv but I'm quite put off with the amount of flickering on the TV. I have adjusted the brightness etc in an attempt to reduce it but it is still very noticable (just watched monsters Inc and the second it started on the disney logo I knew it would be a problem).

What's the best option? should I try for a replacement PF1 or should I just got for a completely different model. I will call the retailer I got it from first, if I get no joy with them should I go direct to Toshiba? Does the PF2 suffer from this problem?

Any advice from peeps who have had the same problem would be most appreciated.

SJG
    :devil:

2. Peterr_ibg

Peterr_ibg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I too had a PF1 with a flicker. After 4 weeks of adjusting just about every setting, ( and severe grief from the wife who didn't know why we had to replace our 15 year old previous set in the 1st place!), I contacted Toshiba's helpline.

They suggested that the flickering was a 'feature' of the 100Hz processing and if I was unhappy should contact my retailer. This I did, and following an engineer visit I rejected the set and asked for a full refund.

John Lewis were quite happy to do this. Reading other threads, this seems to be a problem with some PF1s although many are happy with their sets. Perhaps you too just have a bad 'un.

Either way I'd ensure that you register your disatisfaction with the set with your retailer asap.

Your contract is with the retailer and not Toshiba, if the product has a fault it is the responsibility of the seller not the manufacturer to sort out.

I decided against another Tosh so can't comment if the PF2 has the same problems

3. sjgill

sjgill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK Well I spoke to the retailer who is sending an engineer out this afternoon (quite impressed). Just wait to see what hey says now. :confused:

4. Peterr_ibg

Peterr_ibg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Did the engineer fix the problem?

5. sjgill

sjgill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    He changed around with the settings on it and set Sky to RGB scart on AV1, the dvd player to AV2 on s-video (I'm getting a new dvd player this week so will be going to component output) and set the player mode to natural. Now the only difference between 100hz mode and natural mode is the picture is shakey on 100hz but just as sharp and clear (but not shakey) on natural. Still need to play around with contrast and colour to my own preferences but it seems a lot better. Can't wait to see it with my new Panasonic s75 dvd player later this week :)
    The guy seemed to really know what he was talking about and he told me that the Toshiba trainer when he was on a training course a few weeks ago told him to go for s-video or component instead of RGB. He also mentioned do not change the brightness just the colour and contrast to suit your personal taste....
    Just got to wait and see how it goes.

6. sjgill

sjgill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok, still finding a little flickering but no-where near as much but still unhappy with set. Contacting retailer again asap to see about refund.

Any suggestions for model to change it for around the £1300 -£1500 mark?

:thumbsdow

7. Rookies

Rookies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    You can get a PF2 for that price

8. sjgill

sjgill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not really sure that I want another PF TV as there seems to be a few problem reported on here with them.

I waited a few days to see if it was bearable with the flicker but now I know it's there I'm looking for it the whole time. I've even tried it with a brand new Panasonic S75 dvd player hooked up via s-video, component and RGB Scart and it still has the same flickering problem so I know it's defiant;y a problem with the TV no matter what the engineer says... Now to see what the retailer has to say...

9. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You must have a bad 'un - unfortunately. Let's face it the whole point of 100Hz is that is doesn't flicker!! It's the last thing it should do. You might get a touch of smeariness, blockiness, colour inconsistancy and maybe a dark patch or two [and this can apply to most makes BTW] - but flicker it should not.

10. Peterr_ibg

Peterr_ibg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    That was my exact thought with my PF1, however once we had seen this 'feature' and went looking at replacement sets we found that most other brand widescreen sets had this flicker as well. It seems more obvious in areas of high contrast. Unfortunately once you have spotted it you can't stop seeing it.

11. sjgill

sjgill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok well the TV has developed a very high pitched noise from the set that is so loud you can hear it when the tv is on normal volume.

Spoke to the Retailer and they are letting me go into the shop to test the flickering (very noticable in Star Wars Episode 2) on another PF1. If it is there on that one as well then I'll have a different model otherwise they will just swap mine for a new set so result!!!

12. sjgill

sjgill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ok well I took the episode 2 DVD in and played it on the shop PF1 which they use for demo's and there was the flickering (very bad due to cheap scart leads being used.

They agreed to take it back and I've now swapped it for a 36ZT29 instead (decided to get it for the progressive scan) and no flickering problems!
    :clap: