peugeot 307 2 litre hdi any good?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by puppy, Mar 19, 2006.

1. puppy

puppy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My girlfriend has just been promoted at work and wants to buy a peugeot 307

Which model is the best? She will be travelling Nottingham to Northants. regularly by car and is looking for comfort, economy and reliability. I suggested the 2.0 HDI.

She has £5k to spend - what age and mileage is she likely to get for this money?

2. craig777

craig777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I've had my 307 2.0 S HDI for nearly 3 years and (touch wood) nothing has gone wrong with it. Like the previous two 306's that I've owned before it, it's been perfect when it comes to reliability.

There are quicker 2.0 litre diesels out there but the 307 2.0 HDI is still pretty good and economy not bad for a large hatchback (they're alot larger than you'd imagine). I fill up with approx. 50 litres of diesel and manage about 470 miles, over 500 miles in the warmer weather.

I've got nothing but praise for my 307, but (there's always a but!) not all 307's have the reputation of being as reliable as mine. Some are plagued with electrical and engine management faults, so beware.

3. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Best buy something that isn't French then!

4. GBDG1

GBDG1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,260
    seconded.

5. Layne RIP

Layne RIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I used to work for peugeot... and in my opinion the 306 late model was the best car they've ever made!!

Diesel wise.. i'd have the old DT over the HDI it was just a bit more fun (when the boost came in).

It's true pugs are electrical nightmares... if you can't put up with that don't buy one!!

6. dave_14

dave_14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The tiptronic version looks good to me. Has sport mode, snow mode. If its comfort you want, then this is very good, really smooth gear changes. Thats the one id go for anyway.

7. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    As food for thought for you, some friends of ours have just sold their 2002 307SW Hdi that they bought new.

In the time that they owned it, it required -

Front suspension rebuild,
    New front brake discs after 11,000 miles
    New head gasket
    New throttle potentiometer
    New steering rack
    New glass roof as the first one developed a leak
    3 new stereos :eek:

And when they got rid of it, it still made a graunching noise on full lock and still hesitated whenever the accelerator was pressed.
    All of the work was done under warranty, and the Peugeot dealer they bought it from not only had a file of repair invoices an inch thick but said it WASN'T the most unreliable 307 they had ever encountered.........:eek:

I'd give them a very wide berth personally..............

8. craig777

craig777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I must admit, it's highly unlikely that I'll be purchasing another Peugeot in the future. Although I've owned three that have been pretty much perfect, I'm bound to get a dud at some point, so my next car will probably be Japanese.

9. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I had one of the first 110 BHP HDIs that came into this country, it was being fixed more than being driven for the three years that I had it - I'd have sold it sooner but I had it as a company car, mainly as it was one of the first cars to be in the bottom tax bracket.

I had it:

stick in limp home mode (flat out 50 mph) for no reason
    the locks stop working meaning all new locks and membranes for the locks
    the engine management system break
    Carpets that didn't fit even after being replaced twice
    Trim that fell off despite being fixed (mainly the surrounds of the door handles)
    The stereo packed up (this was one of the few things that was only needed to be fixed once)
    The indicators stopped working resulting in the air bag, steering wheel and all of the switch gear directly underneath replacing

To cap it all off the car was slow and returned poor economy, I wish I had gone for the golf alternative as a collegue's returns considerably better economy (I'd average between 38/43 mpg, he'd consistently get over 50 mpg) and was much faster.

Unless things have dramticly improved with them (I did have an early example) I'd steer well clear, for the duration that I owned mine it was 2nd or 3rd from bottom in the JD Power survey that Top Gear does.

10. Kevstir

Kevstir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    any one read the sun today ?? on page 39 they have the new list of most reliable cars , the 307 was at the bottom of the list as the most unreliable car

11. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Been buying Japanese only for years now (Nissan's & Toyota's, can't actually even remember last time anything went wrong with any of them!!!)

As much as i fancy the odd German or Italian motor from time to time the lack of any repair bills from the last 10 years keeps me buying Japanese

12. Syfer

Syfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    My two pence worth in support of the 307……….

I purchased a 307 2.0HDI 110 SE 3dr new in Sept 03.

I have to say that in two years & 53000 miles it never let me down. I had it serviced every 12k at reasonable cost & the only things I had done under warranty was a new indicator stalk & a new speaker in the front that rattled when I collected the car. The other front speaker failed a few weeks later so I used it as an excuse to upgrade all 4 speakers.

My only outlay outside fuel & servicing during this time was tyres (heavy on front about 10k only), brake disks & pads & a new front inner plastic arch (£8!) after an argument with a kerb. It regularly returned 500 miles from £45ish & on a slow moving trip to Scotland in cold snowy conditions I got over 600!

My girlfriend now owns this car, bought it off me for the finance settlement figure of £5K in Sept last year. It now has 57000 miles and apart from 1 small parking crash......the car has been perfect. I would recommend a 307 to anyone (especially at the current prices) but only with a Diesel engine. A friend of mine has a 1.4 16V Petrol & it struggles to touch 90 flat out & wheezes all the way there! The Diesels are responsive & have plenty of shove once on the move.

It was much less of a problem to own than the last brand new car before the Pug. Back in 1999 when my money was my own:D I splashed out (read financed) £30k on a 328i BMW. In the 2 years I owned that it was off the road for over 4months! Airbag lights, knocking suspension, wayward handling, munching through tyres…….In the end they found the chassis had cracked around the top on the front struts?!? . They ended up buying it back & I walked away a fair few quid out of pocket, after paying £600 a month to drive a Micra loan car for months on end.

A few months ago my dad had to have a clutch replaced on a 9 month old 7000 mile Focus Zetec, 3000 miles later and its slipping again!

Just goes to show its a minefield out there when it comes to cars, you have good uns & bad uns. I would simply say get the latest model you can afford & don’t worry too much about higher mileages on Diesel models so long as they have full service history.

Scott

13. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Just a note in defence of French and Italian cars...

Between my self and my brother (in the last 15 years) we've run 2 x peugeot 405s, 2 x Renault Scenics (old model), 2 x Renault Lagunas, 2 x Alfa 156s, plus 2 X VW Golfs (Mk 4), 2 x Maza MX5s, 2 x Nissan XTrails.

Never had any problems with any of them. No really. The cars were on contract hire for between 2, 3 and 4 years each. Averaged about 15K miles a year in each of them, although the 405s ahd around 100K on the clock when we got rid of them after 4 years use. All we ever did was put fuel and oil in them, plus brakes and tyres.

Maybe We've just been lucky.

14. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    On Auto Express's Driver Power 2006 survey, 307 ended up on spot 94 of the 100 cars and are at the bottom of reliability!

performance 89th place
    ride quality 79th
    handling 74th
    braking 66th
    practicality 43rd
    comfort 77th
    ease of driving 98th!
    build quality 99th!
    reliability 100th!
    running costs 71st

wasabi