Peugeot 306 speaker replacement

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Chip50, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Chip50

Chip50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey guys, been searching for advice on replacing the factory-standard speakers in my newly purchased 306 ('95 plate). its my 1st car and tbh im not after eye-bleeding bass levels - just some speakers that'll put some low-end kick into my tracks.
    i'm gonna replace both the door speakers and the 2 on the parcel shelf (5" i believe)
    what make/model speakers should be looking out for and/or what can you guys reccomend?
    like i said, not gonna put a sub in - just want the speakers to have enough bass tolerance as possible!

cheers,
    Chip50

2. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Try and do some searches on google regarding replacing the existing parcel shelf speakers as it's not as simple as it would first appear, i have 3 mates with 306s and they've all had success with the parcel shelf, but it's not just an in and out process as far as i can tell.

Speaker wise, get the best you can afford, and if it helps to buy one pair at a time.

The standard setup in my girlfriends 306 (m plate) is amazingly good compared to the crap that came in my 2000W VTR, all we've done is replace her headunit and the factory speakers have coped superbly! It has a lot to do with the design of the door and speaker mounting as well as the quality of speaker, the saxo design isn't great TBH!

Sorry i can't give you specific speaker advice, i'm a bit out of touch!

3. Chip50

Chip50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i did google it at first, and this is where it pointed me!
    ive asked around the forums im a regular at but thats not based on the same subject as here.
    ive already replaced the headunit with a £200 Kenwood (was in a sale, down from £350 i believe) - so just lookin for some speakers.
    I've seen some Kenwoods i like, but im a complete novice with cars so didnt know if theres any regular makes that basically suck!
    fitting them isnt a problem, i have a mate whos good with this kind of thing but asking him for advice is pointless. all i get is "just fill the boot with subs and amps etc..." - he's just handy for the installation bit!

i considered going into Halford to ask, but i know that may be considered 'swearing' on here (just like saying "PC World" is frowned upon in 'my' forums!)

4. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    In my VTR i have:

Kenwood HU CD MP3 player

Kenwood front speakers £25 (cheap by most peoples standards, but 100 times better than what i took out!)

Some small JBLs in the back (found them in a scrap car, but retail at £30+)

I also have the dreaded 6X9 in a stealth MDF shelf that i made, purely because i do like a bit of thump (comes with have a big sub for HC duties!).

I know everyone hates 6X9 but in my situation they are the right solution as i don't want a sub of any description and they don't overpower the other speakers or made it sound boomy (sorry, not very technical terms!)

Ideally i'd like to run components in the front (seperate tweeter that can be mounted anywhere) as the speakers are so low and my feet don't have ears!

With the 306 you're lucky that it has space for a decent size set of speakers at the front and back. Even more lucky that they're on the shelf. I'd set yourself a budget and see what you can get from all the online car audio sites. May i ask how much you have to spend?

And as for fitting, buy all the stuff first, then ask your mate for help, tell him you'll get some subs later ;)

5. Chip50

Chip50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i'll have just under £200, but thats not all for speakers - id say theres a limit of £120 really, the rest i'll need for other little bits in the car (new pedal set etc...)

what are the best sites to order from? i.e. reliability? p&p? general standard of sale?

6. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I put some MB Quarts (I think that's the spelling) in mine when I had it. Pretty much a drop in job - the plastic undercovers on the parcel shelf needed a little persuasion with a stanley knife, but not major surgery. I'll get the model number later in case you're interested.

7. Chip50

Chip50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah cool, cheers. what was the bass like on them? i need enough to do justice to my RATM collection!
    also, are they the ones you put in the front as well? (im just gonna stick the original grille back over them, security blah blah blah...)

[edit]: just went at the with an allen key and a screwdriver to get some measurements:

Front = 6.5" Diameter : 2.5" Depth
    Back = 6.5" Diameter : 2" Depth

how do i go about finding out how deep the speakers are when buying off the 'net? will the manufacturers sites have the measurements?

8. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    They were MB Quart RKC116. It was about 5 years ago though, so I'd be suprised if you can still get them.

Bass was pretty good as I remeber, but I was using a sub so I wouldn't really have noticed if they'd sucked. You're never going to get a lot bass out of a 6" driver though.

For reference, they were 2.54" deep, and 5.57" diameter. You should be able to dig up most specs on the manufacturers sites.

I didn't bother changing the fronts - I never did find anyone with a speaker slim enough to fit.

Cheers, Carl.