1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peugeot 206 upgrading factory ICE

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by DeadKenny, Apr 3, 2005.

1. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'd like to upgrade the stock factory entertainment stuff in my S reg Peugeot 206 GLX. It's a Blaupunkt "something-or-other" head unit (with tape deck) and a Clarion CD changer.

The thing is though...

1. I don't want a Bling Bling Chav style flashing LED head unit ;). Plain simple and understated would do me fine, and preferrably something that blends with the dash the same way the factory unit does.

2. I'm not interested in big bass subs in the boot. I just want nice quality without thumping bass down the street to impress my mates (I'm not under 25 and I don't have neon washer jets ;)). The speakers in the 206 seem reasonable (6 speaker job though 2 are tweaters I think), so not sure if they need replacing, but if so I'd be interested in recommendations.

3. I want to be able to play MP3s somehow (be it through recordable/rewritable CD, or some other means, e.g. memory cards or hard disc, though plenty of storage space would be my preference). Don't want a thing that uses an FM channel to connect to my existing head unit or worse a thing that plugs into the tape deck:gag:

4. I want DAB.

5. I don't mind replacing the changer if need be. The tape deck can go. Tapes are dead.

6. I want the head-up display to still work, telling me the radio station and stuff about the CD (better still if it said the MP3 tracks).

7. I want the steering controls to still work.

P.S. The best thing I've seen is this...

PhatBox Digital Media Player, but it's american and doesn't fit Peugeots. Nice idea though as it just replaces the CD changer and you can use the existing head unit and controls.

Any ideas/tips? Has anyone upgraded their 206 kit? Recommended experts to do it would be handy too (in the Surrey area), but I don't want to walk into a shop and end up with them Chaving up my car.

I've absolutely no idea about doing this stuff myself. I understand there are all kinds of adapters and leads, but I know nothing beyond that.

2. jtf

jtf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    if you want something like the phatbox why not buy an ipod and a dension ice link. this will do the same job. alternatively most major audio manufacturers are making their headunits ipod compatible you could try alpine or pioneer.

3. pauldrage

pauldrage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you could buy a normal mp3 cd / normal cd head unit..
    http://www.caraudiodirect.com
    then buy the necesary adapter that plugs into the cd changer socket on the back of the unit and allows you to have any audio source input (i.e headunit -> adapter -> ipod)

This seems like a cheap enough route to take (around £100 for the head unit and around £30 for the adapter)

Most aftermarket head units won't interface with the heads-up-display (not that ive seen anyway).

Good luck

4. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I really want the head up display and preferably the steering control to work though. The worst thing is if I replace the head unit and it just displays something like "no cd" all the time which would be very annoying.

That Dension ice link looks like it has potential though. It looks like it would work through the head up display if it just talks to the changer interface. Potentially might even change the tracks on the iPod as the steering control just talks to the changer interface to send commands.

Cheers.

5. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    I have a 306 (1996) with a factory fitted Clarion PA3035 radio cassette head unit. This has what I believe to be a C-BUS connector for a multichanger, do you have any idea if there is an adaptor for this so I can connect my Iriver H-120 to it, as I can't seem to find one anywhere! :confused:

6. pauldrage

pauldrage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I am aware your not going to be able to do that :confused:

Best off getting a cheap second hand cd unit thats plain and simple with changer output.

Sorry i cant be of more help

7. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    Thanks for your reply. I've been in touch with Clarion and they say the same thing, so I've got an FM modulator for now, and I'm also getting an old Sony CDX-L450, alas with no changer connection, but still better than the standard cassette player. :smashin:

8. pauldrage

pauldrage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok good luck :thumbsup: