Peter Tyson problems Denon X3700

Mav1874

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening folks

I was wondering if anyone has had any problems with Peter Tyson on AV Receivers? I had been on to them about trading in my X3400 for the X3700 and ended up just getting a seemingly Manufacturer refurbed Denon X3700. Let the problems begin, the first one which came looking like new, proper box etc, but kept shutting off as soon as it was taken out of Eco Mode, it ran ok in Eco Mode but if you turned Eco Mode Off or turned it to Auto it would go into protection mode and shut down. So that needed returned, great service and the guys on the service team are very helpful. However the next one came with no accessories, no documents an in a box with Richer Sounds cardboard in it! It also still had the person who previously owned its details on the receiver and the receiver was still set up for his Heos and Wifi. So clearly it hadnt been Manufacturer Refurbed. I arranged yet another swap for today and have just taken delivery of a destroyed receiver. The packaging was awful, I wouldnt have sent a £10 speaker packaged like this. Needless to say having taken off the bubble wrap even through the plastic bag its in you can see the corners are displaced and the left corner is completely smashed. So here we are again. Clearly this wasnt a manufacturer refurb either, I'm not entirely sure why PT are allowing these to leave in such poor packaging.

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with them, the refurb is a great deal but not if I cant actually get one which works. Problem is I sold my X3400 privately the day after the first one arrived. With everything set up to go through the Receiver its a nightmare!

I bought one of their refurb units. The box was a bit tatty but the unit was mint. All accessories appeared present and I have no issues.
I bought mine around 2 weeks ago. Have you just bought yours? I wonder if the last few models were the returned ones.

I bought one of their refurb units. The box was a bit tatty but the unit was mint. All accessories appeared present and I have no issues.
I bought mine around 2 weeks ago. Have you just bought yours? I wonder if the last few models were the returned ones.
Hey N1ck, this has all happened in the last week. The first one looked excellent was absolutely mint in an original box but the damn thing wouldn't run for any length of time unless it was in Eco mode just kept shutting down to protection mode. So it had to be returned, the second was in a tatty box with Richer Sounds cardboard inside and didn't have the accessories or instructions etc was scratched and had the owners details still in it so hasn't even been factory reset never mind Refurbed. The third has arrived and the packing is horrendous, its no surprise that it was severely damaged the front left corner is smashed and the right corner the front was coming off. I'm surprised they allowed the package to leave the warehouse. Not been good so far.

Just wondered if Peter Tyson quality checks had gone these have been pretty poor so far.

Thats really unfortunate, I spoke to them prior to buying mine and they were really helpful and agreed to pick a good boxed one for me. There were around 8 left at the time so I’m guessing there were more to choose from.
maybe ask if they can give you a good discount on another option for all the hassle, but at the price they were, it’s hard to find an AVR of equal value.

To be fair the guys I've dealt with have been decent as was originally trading in my x3400 but managed to sell it privately which saved postage etc. But the quality control on these is clearly awful. I do wonder if they are all manufacturer refurbed at all. To let one of these things, the size, cost and weight that they are, leave the warehouse in packaging you wouldn't put an old speaker in, is criminal. So the sales and service guys are decent but whoever picks and sends these isn't doing their job.

Thanks for this. Doesnt bode well for the Denon refurb QC. I thought buying from Peter Tyson would at least get me a decent QC'd product but they seem ot have the same problem as Denon with QC. I was incredibly surprised that the one which arrived last night was so poorly packaged, the box genuinely looks like it has been made out of other older boxes! With a few dozen packaging peanuts chucked inside and the receiver covered in a few layers of bubble wrap. Damage waiting to happen. Again, the guys at Peter Tyson service have been great and I dont want to tar them with any brush, but the warehouse or QC is very poor, it would appear that the refurbed products arent refurbed or use the term very loosely, how you can factory refurbish an item without factory resetting it is beyond me. In fact they are probably breaching some sort of act by releasing products which still have other people details in them.

I am buying a new Amp from them, please read my story:

This is the response E-mail, I had from Sound United regarding my query, regarding open box product.

Thank you for your email

Please note that it is normal for some boxes to of been opened before purchase.

This is due to the fact that some of the products are manufactured for the EU as well as the UK and can sometimes have a 2 pin power plug. Therefore the boxes have to be opened before being shipped to the UK, so that the two pin power plug can be swapped out for a UK 3 pin power plug before the product is then shipped over to a UK dealer/ retailer.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

best regards

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom