Peter Rabbit 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
There was very little to recommend. All the best bits were on the trailer.

On one of the very rare occasions when I get to be entrusted with young children these days, after putting on a performance of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre with a puppet theatre (The kids loved it! Sawed along very happily, they did), I took a couple to see this film because they have and love the books. They sat there, no real reactions, and afterwards one of them said, "Peter's really horrible!"

What a shame! At least Paddington is not mean- looking. In fact he's the cutest bear ever. As I understand it, the Paddington movies have been successful, partly for espousing noble-minded values similar to what they could have extracted from Peter Rabbit and his friends.

I remember the books are quite harsh in terms of the horrors of being eaten etc, but I don't remember Peter Rabbit being mean...he's supposed to be like Jim Kirk, only a cute rabbit.

This is the only recent kids movie I have taken my kids to that they did not ask to get at home to watch again. That's all I have to say on the matter.

Awful, awful, awful.

5/10 for the film is being incredibly generous.

Miss Potter is flipping in her grave as this has just urinated all over her vision of Peter Rabbit. Sorry for being harsh, but everyone involved with this film deserves not nothing less.

Thanks for the Review Cas; I grew up loving the Peter Rabbit Stories, so sounds like this film version would produce Blind Fury in me (Tiger Tank not Included). There MUST be a Beatrix Potter Estate (Normally is with anyone successful & famous & dead), and usually they have control of the Rights, so seems like the wool got firmly pulled over their eyes!
Grrrr!

Thanks for the Review Cas; I grew up loving the Peter Rabbit Stories, so sounds like this film version would produce Blind Fury in me (Tiger Tank not Included). There MUST be a Beatrix Potter Estate (Normally is with anyone successful & famous & dead), and usually they have control of the Rights, so seems like the wool got firmly pulled over their eyes!
Grrrr!

I've no inside knowledge of this one but amongst the possibilities are that a huge cheque proved most persuasive or the BPE signed a contract that did not give it script approval, or the contract allowed the filmmakers too much leeway in reversioning the characters for the big screen. If the property is in the public domain then it's open season anyway. I found the film at times just plain nasty, I can't see US audiences, where the real money is, going for it and as a franchise it's pretty much dead out of the gate now.

You'd still be wasting your money :eek:
I'll wait til this is five or six quid in Cex.

Personally, I refuse to give them any money, whatever the price. It's not just the misuse of Peter Rabbit, it's the message it's giving to kids. Nope I haven't seen it, so normally I won't comment on content until I have, but I trust Cas's judgement.

Personally, I refuse to give them any money, whatever the price. It's not just the misuse of Peter Rabbit, it's the message it's giving to kids. Nope I haven't seen it, so normally I won't comment on content until I have, but I trust Cas's judgement.

It's not a good message.
Attempted murder never is
Not in this kind of kids' film anyway.

I've no inside knowledge of this one but amongst the possibilities are that a huge cheque proved most persuasive or the BPE signed a contract that did not give it script approval, or the contract allowed the filmmakers too much leeway in reversioning the characters for the big screen. If the property is in the public domain then it's open season anyway. I found the film at times just plain nasty, I can't see US audiences, where the real money is, going for it and as a franchise it's pretty much dead out of the gate now.

Yep, Estate holders (IF there is one) are not always the most savvy entities; and as you say, if it is anyway in the public domain, Game over, Dude! :eek:

As the review says, just stick to Fantastic Mr.Fox, or indeed Isle of Dogs, which it out today on 4K digital (iTunes). And it has a 4K DI too.

It's interesting how kids' films have changed over the years, and also their morphing into what is called 'Family Entertainment', as in try to get even more money by appealing to, well, everybody. But there is something wrong when you come back from such a film and one of the things you have to do is set the kids 'right' again. It originated in the US, and made its way over here, the trend whereby the kids are right, have all the answers, are allowed to be smart alecks and set the parents on the right path, all adults being various shades of absent, disbelieving, non-supportive or, of course, the bad guys. Yes, kids need to and should learn independence, have their imaginations stimulated and so on, and be entertained. But Peter Rabbit goes too far into mean spirited juvenile delinquency!

Cas knows, he does! Cas knows!

Got to disagreee with you all and say I thought it was pretty good. Forgetting the 'message' or being true to the source material, as a stand alone movie I enjoyed it and so did my fiance and 6 year old.

Ripsnorter, the concern you raise in your spoiler tag happens in lots of children's movies.

Got to disagreee with you all and say I thought it was pretty good. Forgetting the 'message' or being true to the source material, as a stand alone movie I enjoyed it and so did my fiance and 6 year old.

Ripsnorter, the concern you raise in your spoiler tag happens in lots of children's movies.

That's the most important thing: you enjoyed yourselves. I'm very aware of how much a trip to the flicks can cost, not just the tickets but the travel, parking, maybe a meal, drinks, snacks, childminder at home and also the time involved, so when the experience is a disappointment...

I'm not disputing that kind of thing happens in lots of children's films but it is the way it is handled that matters. You look at the mayhem in the Tom and Jerry cartoons for example, very funny, nobody bats an eyelid. Wile E. Coyote dropping Acme anvils on Roadrunner, bring it on! Here
we are talking about something very real for quite a few people and very potentially fatal. It is no longer in the realm of hyperbole, we are in the realm of possible premeditated murder. It takes just one kid to get inspired and see what a peanut does to the one he doesn't like and just happens to have a nut allergy as well. If Peter had conspired to drop a grand piano on the guy's head, sure, but this was up there with, for example, locking him in his house and setting it on fire! And I don't remember the Peter in the books wanting to kill someone :devil::eek:.

Last edited:
I actually watched this without sicking up in the back of my throat which is unusual for me when James Corden's involved.

my son quite enjoyed it , predictable but moderately entertaining

I actually watched this without sicking up in the back of my throat which is unusual for me when James Corden's involved.

my son quite enjoyed it , predictable but moderately entertaining

There is no time to lose! Call an ambulance or get yourself to emergency! There is something seriously wrong with your gag reflex! The man's an instant turn-off for me.

Last edited:
My kids enjoyed it at the cinema and wanted the disk ordering. It's not the Peter Rabbit I remember but then again when I was a kid I wasn't open to anything on youtube, mobile phones, social media etc of which the young ones of today seem to be more desensitised to things than I ever was and whilst I think the film has it's issues (one being James Corden) and quite a sadistic nature going through it, I did laugh at times.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom