Peter Crouch

• Thread starter Deleted member 85154
  • Start date
I think the comments about bobby moore etc show why you are not a manager. Coupled with the comment of rather taking anybody than him.
Watching him play for Southampton, and now Liverpool shows me why he should be on the plane.
The fact is, Owen and Rooney are our top 2. Bent and Defoe are backups if they get injured or suspended.
But if we are struggling to break down a team, or need to grab a goal late on, then bringing on crouch will make a big difference.
He can score, but more importantly he gives a different element to our play if option A isnt working. His knockdowns on the edge of the box (yes he does have good feet and close control) for Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney etc could well provide them with a chance closer to goal than we would have otherwise have managed.
And Beckhams crosses scare the crap out of any team. Then stick Crouch in the box, and you have people worried. Keepers worry, defenders worry. They suddenly go from double marking Rooney etc, to worryin bout Crouch. That then gives others more space.
IT doesnt matter that Crouch cant head like Shearer, he will still create the right effect in that final 10mins if we are struggling to break a team down.

What else are we going to do? Bring on Defoe and have 3 little players running around up front? It just doesnt work.. too predictable :(

Crouch hasnt scored many this season, but Liverpool have been winning a lot and believe it or not there will be some connection (Though obviously its not all down to Crouch)

And no, im not his biggest fan, and I HATE Sven, but it IS our best plan B.

KevD said:
PhilNUK said:
Wes Brown, Gary Neville and Ferdinand.... :confused:QUOTE]
I dont understand your point here :confused:
Neville and Ferdinand are proven quality international footballers and Wes Brown has performed well in European competition for a good few seasons now. Blinkered vision me suspects :D

nope.. not blinkered at all... Man U must have one of the worst defensive records in the Premiership... they were in bits again today on more than one occasion..
I know Neville has been quality for Man U... but Ferdinand and Brown are absolutely useless... if Terry and Carragher aren't the first choice for England then something is seriously wrong..

PhilNUK said:
lets look at the other end of the squad... Wes Brown, Gary Neville and Ferdinand.... :confused:
Ah well, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko and Torres must be worried :rotfl: after all Roberts and Camara struggled against them today :rotfl: :rotfl:

Ah.. I see the Manyoo battering has started again now that they've won something.

Who exactly would you imagine to have in the defence?

Ashley cole will be back soon & wayne bridge does a good job, but Chelsea have seen to it that he will only be in Germany as back up at best. Sol Campbell is having an... off period, shall we say..

Obviously John Terry will be a definite as he's probably the most consistent full back we've got.

Wes Brown's been out for a while but he was class today, no matter how blinkered you are.

& say what you like about G Neville, but at least he plays with a bit of passion & wants to win the game. Just look back over the last 10 years for that.

PhilNUK said:
nope.. not blinkered at all... Man U must have one of the worst defensive records in the Premiership... they were in bits again today on more than one occasion..
I know Neville has been quality for Man U... but Ferdinand and Brown are absolutely useless... if Terry and Carragher aren't the first choice for England then something is seriously wrong..

OMG... Just have a look at the league table before making statements like that. They've got the 6th best record in the premiership defensively, & have scored the second highest amount of goals. Unbelievable.

LFC_SL said:
Who's saving face? :D

True though...on FM 2006 I sell Crouch, Cisse

I get 55 goals a season out of Cisse on FM 2006 and around 20 out of Crouch!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :D

PhilNUK said:
KevD said:
I know Neville has been quality for Man U... but Ferdinand and Brown are absolutely useless....

Yes, our defence were terrible....4-0, what a terrible defensive display???? I agree that Terry to start is a no-brainer, but to label Ferdinand and Brown as useless ? :boring: :boring: :boring:

speedymct said:
OMG... Just have a look at the league table before making statements like that. They've got the 6th best record in the premiership defensively, & have scored the second highest amount of goals. Unbelievable.

should think so with two strikers worth 50 mill up front :eek:

PhilNUK said:
Brown and Neville have only just come back from injury and have both been in excellent form since returning. Possibly the fact that squad players like Bardsley, O'Shea have had to fill in defence along with Richardson playing LB for Heinze for the season is why the defence has not done better.
Ferdinand has also been excellent after a poor start bearing in mind the defence has been changing so often.

And I can say now, with 100% certainty that Carragher will not be first choice unless there is an injury to someone, altough he will be a vital part of the squad. I would only tale Neville and Cole (If fit) as full backs as Carragher could cover both positions as well as CB. This can then create a spot which could be used by Crouch for the very worrying "plan B" :rolleyes:

Would also like to mention that Darren Bent is just over 6 foot in case there are people who think hes a shortarse like the rest of them :)

This is what I meant about Zamora:

Bobby Zamora wants to play against England in the World Cup finals.

The West Ham United striker has teamed up with Trinidad & Tobago coach Leo Beenhakker in a bid to persuade Fifa that he is eligible to play for his father's native country.

He explained the situation, saying: "I am hoping for a bit of luck or a loophole. My dad is from Trinidad and I have a passport.

"I played for England Under-21s, so that closes the door at the moment."

Beenhakker is also desperate to attain clearance for Aston Villa's Jlloyd Samuel and Arsenal's Justin Hoyte to link up with his squad.

Sorry, but whatever his reasons for wanting to do this, and I'm sure it's because he doesn't think he would have a chance with england, In my eyes he has now not got the commitment to play for England.

I'm a Liverpool fan but not a big supporter of Crouch. I just think that there are not that many options available for England up front. Most of the players suggested are the same. Waiting to feed off Rooney.

smashed said:
I think the comments about bobby moore etc show why you are not a manager. Coupled with the comment of rather taking anybody than him.
Watching him play for Southampton, and now Liverpool shows me why he should be on the plane.
The fact is, Owen and Rooney are our top 2. Bent and Defoe are backups if they get injured or suspended.
But if we are struggling to break down a team, or need to grab a goal late on, then bringing on crouch will make a big difference.
He can score, but more importantly he gives a different element to our play if option A isnt working. His knockdowns on the edge of the box (yes he does have good feet and close control) for Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney etc could well provide them with a chance closer to goal than we would have otherwise have managed.
And Beckhams crosses scare the crap out of any team. Then stick Crouch in the box, and you have people worried. Keepers worry, defenders worry. They suddenly go from double marking Rooney etc, to worryin bout Crouch. That then gives others more space.
IT doesnt matter that Crouch cant head like Shearer, he will still create the right effect in that final 10mins if we are struggling to break a team down.

What else are we going to do? Bring on Defoe and have 3 little players running around up front? It just doesnt work.. too predictable :(

Crouch hasnt scored many this season, but Liverpool have been winning a lot and believe it or not there will be some connection (Though obviously its not all down to Crouch)

And no, im not his biggest fan, and I HATE Sven, but it IS our best plan B.
Playing the long ball down the middle to Crouch is plan B allright. Plan b*******. Sven tried it with Heskey (a better player than Crouch) and it failed dismally. Why on Earth people think playing premiership, or international friendly, long ball tactics, in a major tournament is beyond me?

It doesn't work. Top defences don't allow players the sort of room that the 'big' striker needs, or sit as deep to allow 'confusion' in the box. Just watch England come crashing if he tries to use those tactics again - as he's done disastrously before.

All depends on the other teams tactics. It's useful as an option but teams will see through it if there's a "hit & hope" mentality. I guess from an opposition point of view it makes a difference if there's a bloke who's 7odd foot tall against them, but I would only use it as an option. We'll be playing against world class teams here.

BTW. Always got the impression that Zamora is out for himself & doesn't seem to have worn any particular badge with pride e.g. Brighton, Spurs, even West Ham to an extent. He's a decent player though, but could learn more from integrating a bit better.

am just glad I aint an 'England' fan.. I can see a summer of frustration heading our way...
Svens quote the other day about using Ferdinand in midfield capped it off for me... and he even said it depends on how often Fergie plays him in midfield before hand... :confused: surely he can use his own judgement... but my worry is that players like Carrick are overlooked who have done well in their positions.. they must wonder what the point in trying is!

Trust me... when it hinges on a place at the next round of the world cup... pressure gets to teams.
How often have you seen a team struggling, and getting deeper and deeper.
It DOES happen to even the best national teams.
Imagine England were playing England. Crouch comes on, and its a free kick. Terry would mark Crouch, and crouch just wanders off to the back post. It takes their best defender out of the game if you play the ball into the middle.
He is a good diversion tactic.

If we had ronaldinho, id say.. Peter who? But we dont :(

he changed the Argie game when he came on....
I aint his biggest fan, but was at the match today and he does offer a different approach to the game... hes not fantastic, but Rafa appreciates tall strikers, look at Carew for Valencia.. Stats for England says it all, Crouch and Owen for England is a good combo... if it works really well then maybe Rafa might go to lengths to bring Owen back to Anfield in the summer, after all I think either Cisse or Morientes or maybe both will not be at LFC next season...

smashed said:
Trust me... when it hinges on a place at the next round of the world cup... pressure gets to teams.
How often have you seen a team struggling, and getting deeper and deeper.
It DOES happen to even the best national teams.
Imagine England were playing England. Crouch comes on, and its a free kick. Terry would mark Crouch, and crouch just wanders off to the back post. It takes their best defender out of the game if you play the ball into the middle.
He is a good diversion tactic.

If we had ronaldinho, id say.. Peter who? But we dont :(
Having watched nine World Cups I can safely say I haven't see too many successfulteams either using, or worrying about 'huge' strikers. It's a dead end. If you want to use a big man for dead ball situations then a centre half is the obvious option, rather than, as we did in 2002, carrying a useless great 6ft lump for five games. It may work to a limited degree, as Liverpool are hardly overwhelming opponents with goals, but at international level I'd rather play someone with more nous, more mobility, and more speed, upfront than Crouch.

I've watched too many England sides, never mind Svens, unsuccessfully try using a 'pin' down the years to be much impressed with the idea of playing another one.

with all this talk about Peter Crouch and should he go/ should he not go, i was thinking about the lack of goals for his club. he has now scored 8, and as a striker, with one of the best midfielders in the world supplying him crosses (Gerrard), i think it is pretty poor. Now , at bolton we have one of the hardest working and committed players in the premiership, Kevin Nolan, who has now scored 10 goals. most have these have come from midfield, but last season he played as a striker on a few occasions, and again scored plenty of goals. today he scored another brilliant goal that won us the match. i know he has a lot of competion in midfield, with Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham etc, but in the upcoming friendlies, he surely must be given a chance to show what he can do. SGE will have different ideas though, because at the moment it seems he wont listen to Sammy Lee, Nolans first team coach at Bolton..... and Beckham will allays be his first choice, even when carrying a knock.

Riquelmie (sic) going off was more a factor than Crouch coming on . He was tearing us apart every time he went forward .
John

NWhiteley said:
with all this talk about Peter Crouch and should he go/ should he not go, i was thinking about the lack of goals for his club. he has now scored 8, and as a striker, with one of the best midfielders in the world supplying him crosses (Gerrard), i think it is pretty poor. Now , at bolton we have one of the hardest working and committed players in the premiership, Kevin Nolan, who has now scored 10 goals. most have these have come from midfield, but last season he played as a striker on a few occasions, and again scored plenty of goals. today he scored another brilliant goal that won us the match. i know he has a lot of competion in midfield, with Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham etc, but in the upcoming friendlies, he surely must be given a chance to show what he can do. SGE will have different ideas though, because at the moment it seems he wont listen to Sammy Lee, Nolans first team coach at Bolton..... and Beckham will allays be his first choice, even when carrying a knock.

This is a fans view. Lets face it, if he was that good he wouldn't be playing for Bolton. Good as they have been, I think Big Sam even said that if he was there for 50 years they wouldn't win anything.

I'd like to see Nathan Ellington playing for England as I saw him play some great games for Bristol Rovers a few years ago. My head tells me that as he transfered from Wigan to WBA, that he hasn't reached that level yet.

Captain Benefit said:
Crouch has a decent touch for a big lad.

Ahem.....:)
Maybe he has, but what's that got to do with football?:D ;)

Sick Boy said:
This is a fans view. Lets face it, if he was that good he wouldn't be playing for Bolton. Good as they have been, I think Big Sam even said that if he was there for 50 years they wouldn't win anything.

I'd like to see Nathan Ellington playing for England as I saw him play some great games for Bristol Rovers a few years ago. My head tells me that as he transfered from Wigan to WBA, that he hasn't reached that level yet.

No it is not a fans view. i work in a town that is very anti-bolton, Wigan, and everyone that i talk to about football are of the same opinion as me. my next door neighbour is a die hard Man U fan, again, massively anti-Bolton, and he cant beleive Nolan can't get in to the squad for a friendly either. so i am not alone... even TV commentators/presenters are of this opinion.

And why would he not be playing for Bolton if was good enough to play for England? they are currently 6th in the Premiership and will go 4th if they can win their games in hand. they finished 6th last season and got have just played in the UEFA cup because of it. they played in the League Cup final 3 seasons ago and most of these achievements were made with Nolan as Captain.... he is good enough, and so are Bolton

woodywizz said:
Just watching Liverpool v City, Alan Smith has just said - to quote:

"Look at Crouch, he's definitely booked his seat on the plane to Germany this season". What a load of .....

I know he gives another option - that option being to lump a long ball in the box to a streak of ...., who cannot head whilst jumping, nor control it with any finesse, nor find the back of the net. Another option ?, do not make me laugh...I would rather have someone in the squad who can score, or at least be strong enough to actually hold the ball up and then feed a true striker - Crouch can do neither.

Let's look at his record :

Liverpool - 34 apps in all competitions, 8 goals - about 1 every 4 games
Villa - 43 appearances in all comps, 6 goals - 1 every 7 games

So, who should we take instead??? Who has better form this season?? Take your pick really from :

Bent, Harewood, Cole, Moore, Defoe, Nolan, Beattie, Vassell, Roberts, Zamora, Dickov - the list goes on and on.

To underline my point, Benitez has just substituted him after 70 mins. Please Sven, do not take him to Germany. Our forwards will be taking on the best defenders in the world (hopefully) - do you really think the likes of nesta, puyol, cafu, etc..will be scared of the sight of this lumbering into the box?

Couldn't agree more!! We do much better without crouch and please god don't let him play in the world cup!! He got substituted after 70 minutes because he missed about six opportunities!!

Most of this thread Re Crouch's performance vs Man City smacks of panderism

Two shots James made decent saves, including a fingertip onto the cross bar and another where his back heel skimmed past the back post. You can't legislate for a goalkeeper having a good day

Then you get comments like above which are typical of the likes who seemingly don't even watch the game on TV, but rely on journalistic reports of the calibre of the Daily Star. Yes, like it's written by a 3 year old
reds4eva said:
We do much better without crouch and please god don't let him play in the world cup!! He got substituted after 70 minutes because he missed about six opportunities!!
Who would you suggest? A past it Morientes, half fit Fowler who's also past it, or speedy Cisse who lacks the composure or finishing ability to score?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom